Menu

College before military or

SquirrellyMama

Military before college?

ROTC?

Does it depend on career goals?

This kid thinks the educational system is a complete scam. 

I'm fine with all post secondary education - 2 year, 4 year, trade school, apprenticeship...

Is the military enough if you don't stay in forever?

I am not a parent who wants my kids to come back to live with us as adults. I love them but our house isn't set up for this.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama

Military first will give him time to mature and GI bill benefits to use for college. Tuition assistance can also pay for a degree while in the service.

College first would allow him (her?) to enter the military as an officer (and he would still get GI bill benefits to use later for another degree).

How old is the kid?

I did ROTC in college. I have family members who have enlisted after high school, or done national guard or reserves while in college, or attended a service academy. Lots of ways to do things, depends on the kid's own goals.

• Like 4

You asked "is the military enough if you don't stay in forever?"

What do you mean?

The military will provide job training, depending on the job it may be something that is very transferrable to civilian employment or something less transferable. 

Edited by maize

7 minutes ago, maize said:

How old is the kid?

He's 16 and a junior this year. I don't see his attitude changing anytime soon about education. 

I'm totally fine with the military, but don't want him to avoid post secondary education because he thinks it's a scam.

Kelly

Edited by SquirrellyMama

2 minutes ago, maize said:

You asked "is the military enough if you don't stay in forever?"

What do you mean?

The military will provide job training, depending on the job it may be something that is very transferrable to civilian employment or something less transferable. 

I hear on the news all the time (seems like it's all the time) about how hard it is for veterans to find jobs. 

Does he need to make the military his career if he doesn't do post secondary ed? And, I'm totally fine if it is his career.

I just need to know how to help him ask the right questions. 

Kelly

Totally depends on the person. If your child is mature and dedicated (and a little lucky) enough to get a degree done in four-six years WHILE working full time, sure, enlist away. If he/she is willing to delay college until after 4-6 years of obligated service then, sure, enlist away! If he/she is used to the 'good life' and isn't especially interested in being a grunt or on the bottom of the proverbial totem pole, find an ROTC program. My DH went enlisted to officer but it was *not* easy. Finding a job as a careerist  in a technical field (6-10 years+) is easy. As a first term enlistee with no degree, not so much. There is no such thing as a long-term military career that doesn't require post secondary education. Most E-7 and above have (or nearly) an AA degree.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

I went to an undergrad school which actually had a campus on the nearby air force base, and a lot of the personnel took classes on the main campus as well. From what I can see, even many of the "I went into the AF because I didn't want to go to college" were willing to take advantage of the programs available once they were actually in the military, when they were stateside (that was during the gulf war, so a lot of the base personnel were deployed. I had more than a few classes where multiple students were deployed over the course of the semester, leaving a situation that felt kind of like some sort of movie about the Rapture).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

He's 16 and a junior this year. I don't see his attitude changing anytime soon about education. 

I'm totally fine with the military, but don't want him to avoid post secondary education because he thinks it's a scam.

Kelly

FTR, my DH felt the same way and it wasn't until his second enlistment that he finished his BA. Like it or not, box-checking is a thing, even in the military. DH was able to do it debt free using CLEP and tuition assistance tho.

• Like 1

And ROTC isn't like a club you can join; you have to be accepted. You may not get the job you want in the military, either. 3rd, going to college (taking college courses) while in the military isn't some walk in the park. What branch is being considered? There are some good military youtubers out there that can give you good information. Remember the recruiters have a job to do and be advised they may put a positive spin on things. 

• Like 3

If he's looking at enlisting and has decent ASVAB scores he should take a look at the Air Force.  Even if he's super athletic and wants to do something like special forces.  A lot of Navy seals switch from the Navy to AF's Combat Control, for example.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I really have no idea, I'm not sure he knows. 

How does ASVAB testing work? Do they set that up with their HS? Or, do they take somewhere else?

It depends on the school.  At larger schools it tends to be a thing they sign up for with a military recruiter.  There are prep books you should buy & do a little bit of studying,  and plenty of multiplication flashcard review first.

In smaller schools they sometimes use the ASVAB as a standard test for the guidance counselor to use for career advice.  DH's school had it as standard.

The ASVAB is a test for enlisting troops.  It assesses your academics and intelligence to determine which career fields are options for you.  Air Force ROTC cadets take the AFOQT (and other services similar) as part of their career field selection process.  I've taken both, the first for a recruiter (I was exploring options) and the second in college.  

You have to be accepted into the ROTC program, and selected again to accept a contract and commission.  It is not easy, and not a given that you'll succeed.  

It is important that people going into the military desire to serve.  I knew some people who were extremely frustrated that they were unable to pursue their degree plans because we deployed.  I got in in early 2001... timing is everything!  😛  It was a busy few years, obviously.  There is no guarantee that you'll serve in peacetime, and in this time period, deployments are more frequent across the board.  Serving in the 80s and 90s was a different deal than today.

Today you have to be fit, smart, and disciplined.  There aren't as many "grunt" options.  I'm sure most people were all those things before, but today you can fail really hard, I think harder than before.  

I would only encourage someone to serve if it is something they WANT to do.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I really have no idea, I'm not sure he knows. 

He needs to learn far more.  Start looking into it. Talk with former military people. Read.  Etc.   

3 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

How does ASVAB testing work? Do they set that up with their HS? Or, do they take somewhere else?

My Ds’s high school gives it automatically as part of career guidance. 

But it can be taken with the military recruiter/MEPS 

each military branch has its own rules on retaking the test, scores needed to get in, or have some choice of jobs etc

• Like 1

Just the military can be great but it depends on the job you can get.  The asvab is a big part their needs and knowing what you are signing on for.  Research the jobs available and what that transitions to on the outside.  Having an experienced person or least an adult with a young person at recruiters is a very good idea.  

DH was nuclear machinists mate in the navy it required a 6 year commitment but he was able to leave the military and move into 6 figure job. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I’m not opposed to military careers.  It was wonderful for my husband.  But I’m not sure I would want my child to enlist under the present commander in chief.  Things don’t seem to be terribly well organized at present.  

Fortunately, anyone who enlists under the current POTUS will be safe from major repercussions for the foreseeable future. It's the mid-level (soon to be senior) and senior professionals (who may be hauled, unwillingly, into the spotlight) at DoD, State, Agriculture, Energy and HUD who are sweating right now. Enlisting when numbers are low and the economy is decent means less competition as you advance. When civilian jobs become scarce that will not be the case.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Sad 1

I guess it depends. 

I know a "kid" or 2 who jumped into boot camp right out of high school.....as in, get GED, turn 17 and get going.  I also know some who wanted to go in as officers, so they completed college first.  Job readiness outside of military will depend upon job inside military. 

• Like 1