Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW34: 52 Books Bingo - Alternate history

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week thirty-four in our 52 Books rambling roads reading adventure. Greetings to all our readers, welcome to all who are joining in for the first time and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews. 

Our next 52 Books Bingo category is Alternate History,  speculative fiction which diverges from real history. Whether the stories surround events in history, politics, romance, steampunk or science fiction, they makes us ask what iftime and time again. So where do you start with Alternate History?

There was some debate a few years back if Steampunk killed Alternate History or if steampunk has anything in common, so let's look into how steampunk for historians defines the genre and the challenges of writing stories set in other cultures. I'm currently immersed in the world of steampunk right now with Shelley Adina's Magnificent Devices series  which is why it's on my mind.

However, the world of Alternate history is more than steampunk, so take a trip into The Top 25 Novels About Alternate History (Worlds That Never Were)10 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books That Twist the History of World War IIThe Most Unusual Alternate History Novels Ever Published or dive into the world of romantic or political alternate history.

Check out Uchronia.com, the alternate history site which is chock full of resources including a bibliography of over 3400 titles. There are lots and lots of rabbit trails to follow.

Link to week thirty three

• Like 5

I'm currently on book 5 in Shelley Adina's Magnificient Devices series - A Lady of Resources, as well as J.R.Wards 4th book in her Black Dagger Legacy - Blood Truth - which fits into the Black Dagger Brotherhood chronology after Book 17 The Savior.

Last night we watched Groundhog Day which James enjoyed quite a bit and lesson learned - Don't be arrogant and self centered. It did drag on and on a bit too long which was the same thing I thought the first time watched it way back when.  Tonight's movie - The Last Action Hero.  

• Like 6

One day only, free for Kindle readers ~

Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters

"Secrets and scandals steer a young woman’s life as she comes of age and finds love in Victorian England.

Seventeen-year-old Molly Gibson has grown up under the watchful eye of her widowed father, the doctor Mr. Gibson. After one of his apprentices develops an interest in Molly, Mr. Gibson feels the only way to protect her is to send her to live with the Hamley family.

With his daughter away, Gibson decides to remarry, giving Molly a new mother and sister. Although her stepmother is manipulative, Molly gains an ally in her stepsister, Cynthia, who is educated, worldly, and irresistible to just about any man she meets.

Growing closer to the Hamleys and her new stepsister, Molly also finds herself mired in their scandals—and the town’s gossip. If she hopes to set things right, she must risk her own reputation, as well as the man she secretly loves.

By the author of Mary Barton and North and South, this is a story of love, family, and the challenges of both, as relevant today as it was in the nineteenth century. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Last night we watched Groundhog Day 

One of my dh's favorites. I like it very much also, but not nearly as much as he does. 

I haven't read anything all week. Two weeks ago I finished Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - 4 Stars -  This book is sad, sweet, and uplifting. Eleanor Oliphant was irritating to me at first. Her social awkwardness was oftentimes so annoying and bothersome to read, that I would have to put the book down for a while. It didn’t help that I knew someone a bit like that many years ago. Anyway, Eleanor grew on me, and I was completely won over towards the end. I loved Raymond and his mother also.

If you like contemporary fiction and books like “A Man Called Ove”, then you’ll probably enjoy this. I do look forward to reading more books by this author whenever she comes out with them. I love her writing style. This book was a pleasure to read.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“These days, loneliness is the new cancer–-a shameful, embarrassing thing, brought upon yourself in some obscure way. A fearful, incurable thing, so horrifying that you dare not mention it; other people don’t want to hear the word spoken aloud for fear that they might too be afflicted, or that it might tempt fate into visiting a similar horror upon them.”

“Time only blunts the pain of loss. It doesn’t erase it.”

“Some people, weak people, fear solitude. What they fail to understand is that you don't need anyone, you can take care of yourself.”

“You can't have too much dog in a book.”

“I find lateness exceptionally rude; it’s so disrespectful, implying unambiguously that you consider yourself and your own time to be so much more valuable than the other person’s.”

9780008172145.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine.

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 6

Some bookish posts ~

People are using old books to create wall art — what do you think of the trend?

https://www.today.com/home/people-are-using-old-books-create-wall-art-what-do-t159645

Five Heroines Over the Age of Forty by Una McCormack

https://www.tor.com/2019/08/12/five-heroines-over-the-age-of-forty/comment-page-1/#comment-821179

10 Stories that Feature Dragons Societies by Stubby the Rocket

https://www.tor.com/2019/08/13/10-stories-that-feature-dragons-societies/

Fremont liquor store raises over $10K for library through book sales

https://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_newspapers/extra/news/fremont-liquor-store-raises-over-k-for-library-through-book/article_113d6368-9790-5f42-8b6f-ae4e7cbe573e.html?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CYS - 81619&utm_term=BookRiot_CheckYourShelf_DormantSuppress

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Still working through the Miss Julia books and audio available on my library overdrive. I have one to read and one on audiobook.

Revisiting Glasser's Choice Theory. Agree with some stuff but not with all of it.

Also threw in another Lynette Eason book for a bit of suspense: " Code of Honor." 

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 6

Thanks for all the fun links Robin and Kareni......I have been too busy looking at all the alternative histories to post.😀. Not sure what I will pick but Dread Nation https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30223025-dread-nation?ac=1&from_search=trueis appearing on those lists and I loved the audio book earlier this year!

I am reading The Golden Hour https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42282946-the-golden-hour which is going very slowly because of my curiosity driving me to google repeatedly.   One of the time settings is during WW2 involving King Edward’s abdication and Wallis Simpson.  I am not liking Wallis much!  It’s a period I don’t know much about beyond the fact that Edward seemed to send Wallis to stay with many of his friends.....the anniversary was a couple of years ago and many historic properties were highlighting their connection with that romance. So I know several places she stayed in.  I have ran into several articles regarding how he chose love over duty and what if he had picked duty.......the world may have been very different.  Maybe I need to follow up with an alternative history where he stayed on the throne for my next book! 😉😂🤔  I didn’t see one but they must exist.

I have moved on to my next Ilona Andrews reread, going to read/listen to the Hidden Legacy series.  I have the first Burn For Me on audio.

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Maybe I need to follow up with an alternative history where he stayed on the throne for my next book!

Here you go ... The Windsor Faction by D.J. Taylor

"If Wallis Simpson had not died on the operating table in December 1936, Edward VIII would not be King of England three years later. He would have abdicated for “the woman he loves,” but now, the throne is his. If Henry Bannister’s car had not careered off the Colombo back-roads in the summer before the war, Cynthia Kirkpatrick would never have found out about The Faction.

It is autumn 1939, and everything in history is just as it was. Except, that is, for the identity of the king in Buckingham Palace—and the existence of a secret organization operating at the highest levels of society and determined to derail the war effort against Nazi Germany.  The Windsor Faction is an ingenious exercise in what-might-have-been that assembles a cast of real and imaginary characters in a horrifyingly plausible re-invention of history."

No, I haven't read it.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello everyone! I am almost finished with a book of short stories by Ted Chiang Exhalation - I have one more story to read and then I'll be finished with it. I'm not much for short stories but I've really enjoyed most of these! The first one, "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" was my favorite. 

@RobinM We watch Groundhog Day every year on Feb 2 😊 at my house. Love the links - I'm putting a few of the alternate history novels on my TBR list.

@Kareni Wives and Daughters is one of my top 5 books! Such a wonderful story. 💕

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

Hello everyone! I am almost finished with a book of short stories by Ted Chiang Exhalation - I have one more story to read and then I'll be finished with it. I'm not much for short stories but I've really enjoyed most of these! The first one, "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate" was my favorite. 

@RobinM We watch Groundhog Day every year on Feb 2 😊 at my house. Love the links - I'm putting a few of the alternate history novels on my TBR list.

@Kareni Wives and Daughters is one of my top 5 books! Such a wonderful story. 💕

I also love the movie "Wived & Daughters" with Michael Gambon and Justine Waddell.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kareni said:

Here you go ... The Windsor Faction by D.J. Taylor

"If Wallis Simpson had not died on the operating table in December 1936, Edward VIII would not be King of England three years later. He would have abdicated for “the woman he loves,” but now, the throne is his. If Henry Bannister’s car had not careered off the Colombo back-roads in the summer before the war, Cynthia Kirkpatrick would never have found out about The Faction.

It is autumn 1939, and everything in history is just as it was. Except, that is, for the identity of the king in Buckingham Palace—and the existence of a secret organization operating at the highest levels of society and determined to derail the war effort against Nazi Germany.  The Windsor Faction is an ingenious exercise in what-might-have-been that assembles a cast of real and imaginary characters in a horrifyingly plausible re-invention of history."

No, I haven't read it.

Regards,

Kareni

🥰. It’s on hold!  I suspect you just saved me hours.......thank you!

7 hours ago, Pen said:

I have 9 Hoopla borrows left for August.  Any recommendations? 

Mysteries?  What are you in the mood for?  

• Like 2

I just finished Roomies by Christina Lauren which I enjoyed. It was a fun contemporary romance that had me laughing from time to time. (Adult content)

"Marriages of convenience are so...inconvenient.

For months Holland Bakker has invented excuses to descend into the subway station near her apartment, drawn to the captivating music performed by her street musician crush. Lacking the nerve to actually talk to the gorgeous stranger, fate steps in one night in the form of a drunken attacker. Calvin Mcloughlin rescues her, but quickly disappears when the police start asking questions.

Using the only resource she has to pay the brilliant musician back, Holland gets Calvin an audition with her uncle, Broadway’s hottest musical director. When the tryout goes better than even Holland could have imagined, Calvin is set for a great entry into Broadway—until his reason for disappearing earlier becomes clear: he’s in the country illegally, his student visa having expired years ago.

Seeing that her uncle needs Calvin as much as Calvin needs him, a wild idea takes hold of her. Impulsively, she marries the Irishman, her infatuation a secret only to him. As their relationship evolves and Calvin becomes the darling of Broadway—in the middle of the theatrics and the acting-not-acting—will Holland and Calvin to realize that they both stopped pretending a long time ago? "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I'm still in the first half of the Queen Bees and Wannabees book.  I wanted to finish it before school started, but at the rate I'm going, it won't happen.  It's actually not bad, just the beginning was kinda stupid.  Maybe that should have been placed later in the book.

We finished the audiobook Resistance.  I did a bit of research and confirmed that this was essentially a true story (but fictionalized).  All three of us really liked it.  We visited Warsaw on one of our trips when the kids were 8yo.  While they don't remember much of the trip, it does help to provide some context.

My kids are doing a Brave Writer course related to musicals.  The musical they just watched was West Side Story.  I had ordered a kid version (book) of Romeo and Juliet earlier this summer, because the kids had done a Romeo and Juliet snippet for a theater camp earlier in the summer, and I wanted them to know the whole story (albeit dumbed down).  So today I read this book to them in order to compare & contrast with West Side Story.  I wasn't sure how that would go over, but they listened and discussed it, so I guess that was a good choice.

We finished the previous Spy School read-aloud and started the next one. 

We have exactly 1 more day of summer vacation.  Last night I went through the piles of books I had hoped we'd read over the summer.  I gave up on some of them, but I still have a pile of things I want to read even as the school year starts.  It might be wishful thinking, but we'll see.  The kids are doing fewer sports this year, so hopefully there will be more time for reading.

• Like 6

On 8/19/2019 at 3:20 AM, Pen said:

I have 9 Hoopla borrows left for August.  Any recommendations? 

I am going to suggest a few books that I think are your type 😉

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12266560-angelmaker?ac=1&from_search=true is sort of an alternate history meets steampunk.  Good fun and was really popular here a few years ago.

Snow Blind the first in the Dark Iceland series https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25067569-snowblind really enjoyed,  I actually should bump my Goodreads ratings because I remember these books really well!

James Thompson’s books set in Finland https://www.goodreads.com/series/57865-inspector-kari-vaara He was an American who married a Finn and I love his books........he died young so there aren’t many.

Peter Lemaitre’s series set in France is fascinating but not for everyone, quite violent, I need to go back and read again as more are now translated.  I started with the second https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18743849-alex and am not sure that I would like the series if I had been able to start at the beginning.

Other good easy reads that should be availiable ...........Donna Andrews has a fun cozy series.  

CS Harris and the St. Cyr books

Anna Lee Huber

Miss Julia

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41.  "The Knowledge Gap: The Hidden Cause of America's Broken Education System --  And How to Fix It" by Natalie Wexler.  This book was quoted on some newsfeed article I clicked on, and it looked interesting.  I think she nailed the gist of the problem. 

She is clearly a fan of E.D. Hirsch's Core Knowledge, which is OK by me.  I like it, too.  Core Knowledge got me into homeschool, in a way.  My mom and I discovered his books while I was still in college, and they got the idea in my head that school could be so much more than it was.  Then I heard about this odd things called "charter schools," and that one of our local ones did Core Knowledge, and I decided when I had kids, I'd put them there.  Then I found out how long the wait list was, and about the whole lottery system.  So I thought, perhaps it was something we could add on at home.  That whole shift in my thinking out of the box I knew prepared the ground, so to speak.  After I married and we had kids, and were looking at what would fit our oldest, who was only 4, I said something to DH about maybe I could supplement math at home, and he said, "We could just homeschool," I was ready to hear that, so we did.

Also, I think Hirsch's books were in the same section at our library as "Well-Trained Mind," and that's how I happened to first pick that up!

40.  "Blood, Bullets, and Bones" by Bridget Heos/  Heard about this on a thread on the High School board.  When I went to the library to find it, it was on display, so someone there likes it, too.  This would be a great spine for my teens.  I enjoyed it myself, and learned quite a lot.

39.  "World War I:  The Rest of the Story and How It Affects You Today" by Richard J. Maybury.  I don't know if I agree with everything he says, but the idea that the whole war got started over alliances matches what I've heard before.

38.  "The Thousand Year War in the Mideast:  How It Affects You Today" by Richard J. Maybury.  

37.  "The Two Towers" by J.R.R. Tokien.  The kids got so involved in the first one we listened to while traveling that we started listening at bedtime.  All the bedrooms in our home are clustered together, so everyone just leaves his or her door open, and we have the blue tooth speaker in the hall.  We listen until the first person falls asleep -- usually me.

36.  "Fellowship of the Ring" by J.R.R. Tolkien.  Listened while we were traveling last Spring, but I forgot to include it until I was getting ready to include the next one.

35. "The Clipper Ship Strategy" by Richard J. Maybury.

34. "The Money Mystery" by Richard J. Maybury.

33. "Evaluating Books: What Would Thomas Jefferson Think About This" by Richard J. Maybury.

32. "Ancient Rome: How It Affects You Today" by Richard J. Maybury.

31. "Are You Liberal? Conservative? or Confusted?" by Richard J. Maybury.  Funny title, because I thought I knew what I was, but now I'm confused!

30.  "Whatever Happened to Justice?" by Richard J. Maybury.

29. " The Instant Economist: Everything You Need to Know About How the Economy Works" by Timothy Taylor. 

28. "White Like Her: My Family's Story of Race and Racial Passing" by Gail Lukasik.

27. "Personal, Career, and Financial Security" by Richard J. Maybury.

26. "Rascal" by Sterling North.

25. "Whatever Happened to Penny Candy?" by Richard J. Maybury.

24.  "Joy in the Covenant" by Julie B. Beck.  (LDS)

23. "The Essential 55" by Ron Clark.

22. "How to Tutor Your Own Child" by Marina Koestler Ruben.

21. "Faith is Not Blind" by Bruce and Marie Hafen. (LDS)

20. "Silent Souls Weeping: Depression, Sharing Stories, Finding Hope" by Jane Clayson Johnson.  (LDS)

19. "Leap of Faith" by Bob Bennett. (LDS)

18.  "Covenant Keepers" by Wendy Watson Nelson. (LDS)

17. "Manga Classics: MacBeth" adapted by Crystal S. Chan.

16. "One Dead Spy" by Nathan Hale.

15. "Stellar Science Projects About Earth's Sky" and "Wild Science Projects About Earth's Weather" by Robert Gardner.  

14. "Stuff Matters" by Mark Miodownik.  

13. "Led by Divine Design" by Ronald A. Rasband. (LDS)

12. "Forensic Science Projects with a Crime Lab" by Robert Gardner. 

11. "Manga Classics: The Jungle Book" adapted by Crystal S. Chan

10. "Donner Dinner Party" by Nathan Hale. 

9. "Manga Classics: The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe" adapted by Stacy King. 

8. "Bodies We've Buried" by Jarrett Hallcox and Amy Welch.

7. "The Forensic Casebook" by N.E. Genge.

6. "Shaken Faith Syndrome" by MIchael R. Ash. (LDS)

5. "Fingerprints: Crime-Solving Science Experiments" by Kenneth G. Rainis.

4. "Forensic Investigations" (6) by Leela Burnscott. & ("Bones Speak" by Richard Spilsbury)

3. "A Reason for Faith" edited by Laura Harris Hales.  (LDS)

2. "Left Standing" by Mason Wells, et al. (LDS)

1.  "Camino Easy" by B. G. Preston. 

• Like 5

I've been reading Pearl Harbor: A Novel of December 8th by of all people Newt Gingrich.  It's an alternate history, although this is the first of two volumes and I'm pretty sure the alterations are very minor until the last 3 pages or so.  I suppose it's setting up the second book as the what-if part.

Very readable!  Editing not great; someone needs to tell Gingrich and his co-writer (William R. Forstchen, the real reason I ordered the book) to cool it with the run-ons.  On the whole pretty good, though.  Be careful if you're not super clear on what actually happened before and during Pearl Harbor; the what-if was woven in pretty seamlessly and I totally bought it at first, until Wikipedia told me otherwise.

• Like 5

I recently finished Miss Julia’s School of Beauty by Ann Ross.  It was a fun read even if I thought the solution for her main problem was totally obvious.  She finally married her love interest in a quickly wedding chapel and after the honeymoon discovered the marriage was’t legal.  Instead of just getting married again she spent the entire book moaning about the embarrassment of it all.........and trying to fix it other ridiculous ways .😉it was entertaining and I did give it a good rating so it wasn’t a bad book.......https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/668552.Miss_Julia_s_School_of_Beauty

• Like 4

I'm still reading through the classics.  Yesterday I finished The Scarlet Letter.  It's ok, but certainly not my favorite.  I'm not sure how it became one of the must-read classics in America's Public Schools, but for some reason it is required.   It's good, but it's not what I would call a must-read.  Except for some college majors (ahem, English Education) I would consider it a must-read because it has become part of The General Knowledge.  

• Like 7

I checked to see when @Angelaboord last posted on a Book a Week thread, and I see it was in March of this year. I'm guessing she has been busy raising and educating her nine children and writing and publishing a book.

So, last night I finished  Fortune's Fool (Eterean Empire Book 1) by Angela Boord; it impressed me. If you decide to read the book, be prepared to invest some time as it's over 700 pages.

"A secret affair. A disfiguring punishment. A burning need for revenge.

Kyrra d’Aliente has a bad reputation and an arm made of metal.

Cast out of the safe and luxurious world of silk to which she was born, played as a pawn in a game of feuding Houses, Kyrra navigates a dangerous world of mercenaries, spies, and smugglers while disguising herself as a man.

War destroyed her family and the man she loved.

Vengeance is within her grasp.

But is she willing to pay its price?"

Here's a good review.

And here's a Reddit thread started by Angela:  

Hi! I'm Angela Boord, author of Fortune's Fool, and I'm writer of ..

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And today I began and finished a young adult science fiction novel which I also enjoyed; I've read each of these authors separately but this is the first co-authored book I've read by them. I will happily read more in this series.

Honor Among Thieves (Honors Book 1) by Rachel Caine and Ann Aguirre

"Petty criminal Zara Cole has a painful past that’s made her stronger than most, which is why she chose life in New Detroit instead moving with her family to Mars. In her eyes, living inside a dome isn’t much better than a prison cell.

Still, when Zara commits a crime that has her running scared, jail might be exactly where she’s headed. Instead Zara is recruited into the Honors, an elite team of humans selected by the Leviathan—a race of sentient alien ships—to explore the outer reaches of the universe as their passengers.

Zara seizes the chance to flee Earth’s dangers, but when she meets Nadim, the alien ship she’s assigned, Zara starts to feel at home for the first time. But nothing could have prepared her for the dark, ominous truths that lurk behind the alluring glitter of starlight. "

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

I checked to see when @Angelaboord last posted on a Book a Week thread, and I see it was in March of this year. I'm guessing she has been busy raising and educating her nine children and writing and publishing a book.

So, last night I finished  Fortune's Fool (Eterean Empire Book 1) by Angela Boord; it impressed me. If you decide to read the book, be prepared to invest some time as it's over 700 pages.

"A secret affair. A disfiguring punishment. A burning need for revenge.

Kyrra d’Aliente has a bad reputation and an arm made of metal.

Cast out of the safe and luxurious world of silk to which she was born, played as a pawn in a game of feuding Houses, Kyrra navigates a dangerous world of mercenaries, spies, and smugglers while disguising herself as a man.

War destroyed her family and the man she loved.

Vengeance is within her grasp.

But is she willing to pay its price?"

Here's a good review.

And here's a Reddit thread started by Angela:  

Hi! I'm Angela Boord, author of Fortune's Fool, and I'm writer of ..

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you so much for letting us know!  I see her on Goodreads occasionally but completely missed this.

Congratulations @Angelaboord!!!  I am looking forward to reading your book!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

Brit Tripping to Bolsover Castle.....https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/bolsover-castle/history/

Bolsover is known locally as a Pit Village because of the coal mining that once occurred there.    It sits on a high hill off the M1 with incredible views and is very close to Hardwick Hall,  if one could drive directly between the two points. Takes about 15 minutes via the M1.  

William Cavendish is Bess of Hardwick’s son and he created the indoor riding stable which still stands there......demonstrations with a Lippizzan Stallion or similar riding style happen there on weekends and are fun to go to.  The area is small and tickets are a bit hard to get but we have been in previous years.  William also had the walls/ceilings inside the Little Castle covered with interesting art works.......the Saints, Hercules Labour s, Greek Gods are the ones I can think of right now.  Identifying the pictures were favorite homeschool projects for my kids once upon a time!

I apparently took very few pictures that didn’t feature my kids on our recent visit so please don’t copy......

The view is incredible from the original building.  Complete ruin although it doesn’t look like it in this picture.

On wall with the riding area in background.  

On wall by Little Castle...

The doorway here is big....Ds is 6’4” and frequently needs to watch his head when we visit historical buildings.

Edited by mumto2
Removed photos
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm exhausted. We hoped to save my contractor extra time by running around picking up supplies while he worked since has fire inspection on Tuesday. Discovered futile attempt. It's like herding cats. Where the H did he go now? Oh, gone to the paint store to get information.  Yes, I got everything on the list today. Surprise! Surprise!  Yes, I source parts everyday for our business online so yes I did managed to get them for less.  Now I know why it's taking so long.  Supposed to be done end of August. Keep everything crossed because we be broke, in more ways than one.    Decided not to herd cats anymore because resistance is futile, but they are working fast and furiously over the weekend. 

Meanwhile celebrated our 22nd wedding anniversary yesterday and it's a copper anniversary so hubby got creative. Pennies for copper and a tile from our building project. He’s a keeper!  

I'm still immersed in the Magnificent Devices series and currently on book 11 Fields of Iron. 

hubby and penny heart.jpg

• Like 8