Menu

i just got a call from ..

gardenmom5

Alison at Microsoft.  they need lessons from the Microsoft technical dept... e.g. - don't use a robo voice that can be identified as a robo voice, or that will easily talk over the person they're trying to scam...

I'm too tired to have listened to the whole thing, and even letting it go in the background (delays the call to  the next person - who might be vulnerable to a scam) was really annoying.

• Like 2

I got a call saying Microsoft has gone out of business and they need my account information to refund money I’m due.  Like it might have quietly gone out of business and nothing been on the news.

Similar purporting to be IRS.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Have you gotten the clever one where there are conveniently placed bursts of static or sound glitches that leave you with something like :

"zzt- calling from --ber services, agent number 64532, in reference to your account, number 4799035QM, and action that needs taken immediately to avoid fr-xcckkkzzt- and refund your money. Please call me back at 800-867-5309 as soon as possible. Thank you."

I've gotten (what I assume is the same thing) in Chinese also. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SusanC said:

Have you gotten the clever one where there are conveniently placed bursts of static or sound glitches that leave you with something like :

"zzt- calling from --ber services, agent number 64532, in reference to your account, number 4799035QM, and action that needs taken immediately to avoid fr-xcckkkzzt- and refund your money. Please call me back at 800-867-5309 as soon as possible. Thank you."

I've gotten (what I assume is the same thing) in Chinese also. 

not in English.  I've no idea what the ones in Chinese say.  (I get them too.)

14 minutes ago, Tap said:

My latest scam is that I am getting calls from "voicemail".  LOL....My voicemail has come alive and is calling me.  AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! 💀☠️💀☠️

cue music from the twighlight zone...

• Like 1

I have received calls from Debbie, who sounds very concerned about problems with my student loan and wants to help me. She sounds so sincere that if I had student loans, I might be concerned. (But I don't have loans, so she quickly gets deleted.) I could see these scams (I assume they're scams) being very effective, especially if a college student who relies on student loans receives them. It could easily induce panic.

I've also received calls from Dave, who apologizes that he missed me and talks to me like I'm his friend. He wants to pass on some info he just learned and asks me to call him. He gets deleted pretty quickly, too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, wilrunner said:

I have received calls from Debbie, who sounds very concerned about problems with my student loan and wants to help me. She sounds so sincere that if I had student loans, I might be concerned. (But I don't have loans, so she quickly gets deleted.) I could see these scams (I assume they're scams) being very effective, especially if a college student who relies on student loans receives them. It could easily induce panic.

Is this the one where she gives a specific reference number or extension? The first time I heard that one, I was worried the person she was trying to reach  (no one who lives here) wasn't going to get the message. Then, it dawned that it was a scam.

We had 3-4 calls yesterday from a robovoice that some government dept (maybe the IRS) had put out a warrant for our arrest. Most came from a D.C. area code but not all. Had only one today. 

We usually just get so-and-so from Cardholder Services.

The fake Microsoft ones just tick me off. I'm all sorts of stern with them if I accidentally pick up- calling them liars & shame on them! 

17 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I get a lot of concerned calls about my car's extended warranty expiring.  Never bought the extended warranty! Delete, delete, delete. 

I used to get those all the time. They would tell me this was my final notice. I would say, "Really? Do you promise? Because I keep hearing that, but you guys just call again with another final notice." And then they would hang up on me.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 10:05 PM, wilrunner said:

Oooh! Karen just called about my student loan. My reference number is 909004. That should make it easier, she said, when I [don't] call her back. I couldn't remember the name last time. Definitely Karen for us - not Debbie. And she never said who she was calling for.

Speaking of spammy calls, have you heard that we might be headed to direct-to-voicemail spam? Because it doesn't "disturb" us if our phone doesn't ring, right?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Oooh! Karen just called about my student loan. My reference number is 909004. That should make it easier, she said, when I [don't] call her back. I couldn't remember the name last time. Definitely Karen for us - not Debbie. And she never said who she was calling for.

Speaking of spammy calls, have you heard that we might be headed to direct-to-voicemail spam? Because it doesn't "disturb" us if our phone doesn't ring, right?

Oh please no! 

It’s so annoying to me when I get notifications for things that are nonsense. Like FB Messenger sends me an alert that it’s somebody’s birthday. Who cares! 

On 8/8/2019 at 1:51 AM, MissLemon said:

I get a lot of concerned calls about my car's extended warranty expiring.  Never bought the extended warranty! Delete, delete, delete. 

Yes, I get this one too; the guy has been trying to reach me for years at this point.

Also, yes, someone is very concerned about my non-existent student loans.

My kids get calls on their cells about their extended warranty (my 14 year old likes to make mocking jokes about his concern for the warranty on his skateboard) and their student loans (my 18 year old LOVES these because he currently gets mail about student loans EVERY day ... he has no student loans, his current course for certification will not result in student loans, etc.)