Menu

Is Speed Queen all that?

Janeway

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Yes it is. I have one I’ve had for 3+ years and no complaints AND they just made Consumer Reports #1 washer buy according to the magazine sitting on my desk. I have fit a king size comforter in it and it got the job done. And the best thing? It’s fast and it gets it clean the first time. No hour plus cycle here. 

I have to double rinse my clothes and use homemade detergent because I will break out in a rash otherwise. Do you think there's a chance that using a Speed Queen would mean not double rinsing it? I have an emergency Craigslist washing machine and it needs to be replaced when we can.

I bought one in 2017 and I love it.  It is absolutely all that.

And it does have a second rinse, which I use sometimes, BUT, it immerses the clothes completely rather than spraying them, so I don’t use it as often as I used to.  Our model uses cold tap water for all rinses, and in the mountain winter that water is VERY cold, so if I’m washing something puffy I double rinse it just in case.  I am not completely sure that it’s necessary, actually.

Speed Queen is the only brand of washer I would buy.  It’s fast, it gets clothes clean, it doesn’t tear them up, and it has the best reliability track record in the industry.

• Like 1

I'm hoping that my next washing machine will be a Speed Queen. My kids have eczema which requires me to get all soap residue out of their clothes or they break out. That requires being immersed in water. And to get the clothes clean without using strong soap - well that requires an agitator. A couple of years ago, Speed Queen changed their machine and removed the agitator and the new swishing technology got some really bad reviews. But now it is my understanding that after 2 years, they went back to the agitator style machine. I wish I could find where I read that. It was either at Consumer Reports or on a washing machine review site. I've been keeping up because my 2nd-hand-direct-drive-lots-of-water-agitator machine is very old. If Speed Queen did not really return to their old agitator/lots of water machine, then I'll be looking at the 1st step into Maytag's Commercial line to get a machine.

6 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Do I recall hearing the 2018 and newer ones being changed and less effective now, though?

Yes, they have changed.  And I think there is also a lower water amount now for energy savings that didn't wash or rinse as well?

Edited by DawnM

Double check me before buying, but it looks like they fixed what they “broke” back in 2017 or 2018 (I’m getting the years all confused—-but it looks like they have the agitator back and maybe more water.)  https://blog.designerappliances.com/speed-queen-washer/

https://lorainfurniture.com/appliances/2019-speed-queen-washer-tc5000wn-awn632sp116tw01/

I know a lot of people were pretty upset at the changed model a year or two ago.

Edited by Garga

I have a new one (2019) and an older model  one (2015ish?  Before changes).  Both are the base model, no extras.  The newer model has an eco cycle that we just don't use.  It also has lid lock, and if the lid is up it will not fill.  This is kind of an issue for us bc we scrub dirty Jean's (farm life), and prefer to have the water running while we do.  Our solution is to turn it on with nothing in it, sort clothes, then pause the cycle and open the lid when there is enough water in it, and start scrubbing.  We can do 5 pr of dirty men's jeans, more if they aren't dirty.  We prefer plenty of water, bc farm animal poop.  The newer one does not have a countdown knob, you set it on the cycle you want and it stays there.   Same for water temp.  You just keep them on the setting you normally use, then push a button to start, stop, or pause the cycle.  

5 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

I have a new one (2019) and an older model  one (2015ish?  Before changes).  Both are the base model, no extras.  The newer model has an eco cycle that we just don't use.  It also has lid lock, and if the lid is up it will not fill.  This is kind of an issue for us bc we scrub dirty Jean's (farm life), and prefer to have the water running while we do.  Our solution is to turn it on with nothing in it, sort clothes, then pause the cycle and open the lid when there is enough water in it, and start scrubbing.  We can do 5 pr of dirty men's jeans, more if they aren't dirty.  We prefer plenty of water, bc farm animal poop.  The newer one does not have a countdown knob, you set it on the cycle you want and it stays there.   Same for water temp.  You just keep them on the setting you normally use, then push a button to start, stop, or pause the cycle.  

Do you think the new one washes as well? Also..is it a TR model or a TC model?

So we bought the Speed Queen, the new TC5 model. It won’t be delivered for a while. We will be without a machine for two weeks or so. The TR models are much more back ordered but the TC is the newest model and not on the floor yet and has the classic agitator.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

I'm think TR3, no problems getting clothes clean.  Again,  farm life is messy 😉 Ours has an agitator.  We were going for best price, least gadgetry, easy to use.

The TRs were all back ordered by a few weeks, as in, a couple more weeks than the newer model which has not been released yet. The TRs were on display but the TC is the newest version and not on display so no one had really ordered them yet. In fact, I had to tell the salesman it was on their site and he said that was the first time he saw it, so it maybe just became available. It was more expensive so he gave it to us for the price of the TR.

Edited by Janeway

7 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

It also has lid lock, and if the lid is up it will not fill.  This is kind of an issue for us bc we scrub dirty Jean's (farm life), and prefer to have the water running while we do.  Our solution is to turn it on with nothing in it,

There is an easier solution just using a magnet in the back to bypass the lid lock.  You can search on YouTube for directions.

• Thanks 1