Menu

Quality Cat Food?

Garga

I think our cats need a better quality cat food.  Currently, we use 9 Lives wet and crunchy.  I know that's not very nutritious.  I've known for a bit, but I just haven't wanted the financial hit to buying better cat food with 5 cats.  But I'm realizing we need to.  

So, what's a good quality cat food that's not super expensive?  And how do you keep costs down?  Like, maybe using chewy.com or something like that?

DH is very particular with what we feed kitty. But yeah, sometimes a deal is a deal (within his allowable parameters lol). 

Wet food brands that we currently have in the pantry:  Merrick, Nutro, Authority (only certain kinds), Iams (only sardines because there was a close out sale so we stocked up) and Tiny Tiger because I got a super deal on Chewy. Dry foods are Merrick, Nutro and Wild Frontier.

I will say kitty is a terrific eater, not at all picky, and we change up her foods frequently.

The pet shops and farm stores often have sales; it's worth it to keep an eye out. DH sometimes finds great prices at the independent hardware store near his work, of all places. 

• Like 1

We have six cats and they eat Fancy Feast, which our vet recommends. Also Purina One dry food. I've experimented with different brands over the years, and it seems like the more expensive it is, the more they turn up their noses at it.🤷‍♀️

47 minutes ago, Mainer said:

This makes me wonder if I should be changing out my kitty's food more frequently. Does it harm them to eat the same thing every day for years?

I don’t know why we started kitty that way, but right after we got her we mixed up her food. We change variety after every can (so, every two or three meals, depending). I figure it’s like people—too much sardines, for example, means an accumulation of heavy metals, so we attempt everything in moderation. 😂 We have 2 different kinds of dry in rotation too, but mostly because I just got excited to give her the new kind before her old bag was finished  Lol

Of course some kitties are picky and might not go for it. Ours is super laid back and just excited to eat so it’s easy (and I had never actually thought about it until this thread!), but I’m not sure I would force it on a fussy eater (actually, I wouldn’t). 

Our vet has recommended the following to us at various times, for various cats:

Wellness brand - grain free, medium price range

Royal Canin - at the top of the price range but very palatable; non-prescription and prescription varieties available

Fancy Feast - Classic line only -  canned, grain free, bottom of the price range

16 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

I've yet to meet a cat who didn't do well on Fancy Feast or Friskies canned food. I'm sure they exist, I just haven't encountered one of them yet.

15 hours ago, Selkie said:

We have six cats and they eat Fancy Feast, which our vet recommends. Also Purina One dry food. I've experimented with different brands over the years, and it seems like the more expensive it is, the more they turn up their noses at it.🤷‍♀️

Yup. The pate styles are a bit healthier than the chunky style (in Fancy Feast that is the classic line). I also find that Purina One dry is a good compromise between price and quality. Definitely better than 9 lives dry regarding urinary health, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Yup. The pate styles are a bit healthier than the chunky style (in Fancy Feast that is the classic line). I also find that Purina One dry is a good compromise between price and quality. Definitely better than 9 lives dry regarding urinary health, etc. 

I hate to hear this because the pate styles make me want to vomit when I see it.  

Just now, Scarlett said:

I hate to hear this because the pate styles make me want to vomit when I see it.  

Sorry 🙂

They tend to be lower carb, more meat based. To get the "chunky" or "slices" styles they use wheat gluten, similar to the fake meat sold for humans. The pate styles are mostly just meat and water. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My cat throws up any time she has "gums" (xanthan gum, guar gum) in her wet food. Trouble is, almost ALL canned foods have gums! It's so annoying... I don't think my cat cares if her food is super gloopy or not, so why the gums? I found a log of cat food in the refrigerated section of the pet food aisle at my grocery store, and she likes that well enough, and it has no gums.

She also LOVES the plain meat+water baby food jars, but I worry that those don't have enough vitamins/minerals for her. 

(Tons of human foods have gums, too, and why??? I can hardly find an ice cream brand with no gums, and once you start reading labels, gums are EVERYWHERE. I wonder if it's contributing to people's digestive problems. My DH is super sensitive to gums.)

• Like 2

OP, PetSmart is offering 15% discount if you order online and pick up in the store. I have no idea why shops offer this kind of deal, but I thought I'd mention it in case you were wanting to try something new or just save some $ on your kitties faves. :)

• Like 1