Menu

Dh was stung by a wasp yesterday; his hand is still swollen today

Ginevra

That seems a long time to me for the venom to still be active. He was stung on the hand, cleaning out gutters. He did not take any medicine because he is stubborn about that? I guess? His hand looks identical this morning and he said his hand hurts a lot. (He is very pain tolerant and when he says something hurts a lot, I would probably be saying it’s excruciating.) I think he should swing by Urgent Care or, at minimum, pick up some Benedryl. Would you be concerned? 

541181E6-51CF-419B-915C-1188E82B8FF2.png

Edited by Quill
Add photo

DD got sting last summer on her finger and her hand and part of her arm were extremely swollen.  She ended up on steroids after it didn’t improve in a few days with benedryl. Two doctors told us that hands were the worst with stings as the swelling is more confined.  If it were my DH, I would tell him to take some meds and give it a few days.  If it gets worse ( more swelling, breathing issues, etc) or doesn’t improve, then go to urgent care or his doctor. 

• Like 2

I don't think any action is required; I expect it will resolve on its own in the coming days.

That said, if it were myself or my child, I would give Benadryl and Ibuprofen and call a nurse line if I did not see some improvement by tomorrow morning.

Wendy

• Like 1

We keep bees and several days is not unusual for the swelling to subside. Benadryl will be his friend. DH hates taking medication of any kind and Benadryl knocks him out, but he gives in and takes it when he gets stung because it helps a lot and he was so miserable. 

• Like 1

Definitely needs Benadryl (by mouth). However, my mom, who has a very high pain tolerance, was stung by a yellowjacket wasp a few summers ago on her hand. The swelling did not go down after several days and she ended up going to urgent care and having to be on steroids for it. 

• Like 1

I turn into “sausage” from stings.  I’ve not tried steroids for it.  Not much helps all that much IME . Though Benadryl and ice can relieve some itching and pain.  Elevating the part above heart as with injury can help some with swelling       It can last a week or more for me —usually shifts from pain to bad itching around day 3 or 4

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

We keep bees and several days is not unusual for the swelling to subside. Benadryl will be his friend. DH hates taking medication of any kind and Benadryl knocks him out, but he gives in and takes it when he gets stung because it helps a lot and he was so miserable. 

Just an FYI because you keep bees — if you get stung by any kind of bee or wasp, immediately douse it with lots of apple cider vinegar (just regular Heinz works fine.) It will take the pain away almost instantly, and it’s also great for preventing swelling, even with multiple stings in the same area. I once accidentally stuck my hand into a yellow jacket nest and was stung on that hand more times than I care to remember, but I ran right into the house and poured vinegar on my hand, and the effect was practically magical! It had always helped with other bug bites so it was the first thing I thought to do when I got stung, and I ended up with no real swelling at all, except you could see tiny bumps where all of the stingers went into my hand. But really, I was amazed that I didn’t have to rush to the ER or something!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

If he went to urgent care he'd be given a shot of benadryl, about double or triple the typical dose.  You can just as well take it orally and skip the doctor unless it goes longer than 3 days.  Chances are if he takes the benadryl (and retakes every 4 hours until he goes to bed) it will be close to normal by morning.

• Like 1

Watch for signs of cellulitis and go to the doctor if you suspect an infection. Mark the red area and if it continues to expand go to the doctor. Cellulitis can spread rapidly and cause major health issues. If your dh gets a fever see a PCP or Urgent care ASAP (within a couple hours). They should be able to diagnose and prescribe the necessary antibiotics.  If he gets red streaks traveling up his arm or gets symptoms of flu/sever illness, go to the ER. 

Wasps will eat human foods including meats.  This makes them more likely to cause infections if you are stung after they have landed on decaying food/meat. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 2