Menu

7th grade grammar... any program that matches this criteria?

My 12 year old has had years of grammar: FLL 1, CLE 2 and 3, Classical Conv grammar, Shurley grammar.

I'd like him to have something fairly independent. I just do not have enough bandwidth to sit with each of my four children start to finish on every single subject. I don't mind going over a lesson and then sending him off with a workbook page, but I don't want it to be a teacher question, student answer, teacher question, student answer scenario. 

We also need grammar only. We have a spelling program and writing program that is working. I don't mind paying for something like CLE and not doing the other portions, but I don't need something that contains those things.

Diagramming is a plus but not a hill I will die on.

Any suggestions? I've looked at Analytical Grammar (expensive and I keep reading it's drudgery), Rod and Staff (it looks like I'd have to walk him through entire lessons), GftWTM (I'm reading it's very parent intensive). Am I missing anything else? 

We love AG and while I wouldn't call it particularly fun, it isn't drudgery either. And you can't get much more independent. I spend about 10 min on Monday teaching the lesson and going over the first few sentences, then almost no time the rest of the week.

• Like 2

We liked Zaner-Bloser's "GUM" curriculum at that age.  

https://www.zaner-bloser.com/products/grammar-usage-mechanics-materials.php#navAnchor

If you're confident in your abilities, you don't need the teacher edition.

ETA:  (Although, it does make correcting much faster if you have the teacher edition, because then you don't have to take the time to read the sentences.  Just compare answers.)

Edited by J-rap

Growing with Grammar is extremely independent and has diagramming.  

Daily Grammar Practice is very similar to the Daily Task Analysis of Classical Conversations' Essentials.  It breaks down diagramming a fairly complex sentence into very small tasks over the course of a week, and in doing so, reviews grammar concepts very thoroughly.  

20 minutes ago, tld said:

What is AG?

Analytical Grammar

We used that 6th-8th. I wanted to be done with grammar as a subject before high school. We only did about half the assigned problems, as long as they got at least a B on the tests. We diagrammed a sampling of the sentences we did.

I got my copies cheaper from their "scratch and dent" collection, so you might try calling and asking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We love AG here, and I find it to be very independent. If you don’t mind printing it is a little cheaper to buy it digitally, but if you consider that you don’t need to buy additional materials year after year, it’s not too bad. Also, if you sign up for emails they run sales with free shipping and a percent off.

Seconding Ellie. He's had a ton of grammar. Does he actually need more? And if his mechanics still aren't strong, maybe do something like Daily Paragraph Editing or Editor in Chief instead of formal grammar to work on implementing his understanding in writing.

Agreeing with previous posters that it's unlikely he still needs Grammar *instruction*, so something like Analytical Grammar, Rod and Staff, or WTM Grammar are going to be serious overkill. If wanting something totally independent and short:

For just a Grammar review "bite": Daily Grams
For both Grammar review and proof-editing practice: GUM Drops

No diagramming in either -- but does he really *need* diagramming at this point? Diagramming supports writing (and speaking) through understanding sentence structure and what is modifying what. If he is writing well, with a variety of types of sentence structures, then diagramming may not really be needed, and the focus can shift to putting Grammar to use in writing and in proof-editing.

Edited by Lori D.