Menu

How much of a slacker am I if I just call this good for the year?

I just had a baby almost 2 weeks ago and in my high aspirations pre-baby I thought we could still finish the school year strong and do everything left on my list, just do it more slowly and finish over the summer. However, now that baby is here and I'm sleep deprived and feel like a milk cow 😊 I'm feeling very "done" with school this year and re-evaluating what reeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllly needs to get done in order to call this year good. We only have 2 more weeks to fulfill our 180 required days (IN law).

My high schoolers are mostly on track. They will still watch a math video with me and we will discuss their last literature selection before they write an essay on it. All of their other work left this year can be done mostly independently from me, so I'm not too worried about throwing them off schedule or them not doing enough to earn their credits.

But my 5th and 1st grader still have some work that I had planned for this year that isn't done. Here's what we had planned and what I'd like to drop (striked out):

• Finish MM5 (5th)
  • Finish God's Design (5th)
  • Get to a good stopping point with AAS (both)
  • Finish Fix It (5th)
  • Read SotW and write narrations (both)
  • Get to a good stopping point with AAR just read a little with her every day (1st)

Please tell me if I'm slacking or if I'm stressing about nothing and should just let it go ... thanks!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

In fact, if you wanted to drop everything with 1st and 5th, I'd say you're good.  Or if you wanted to commit to finishing MM5 and keep a little reading going with 1st grader, that's a reasonable goal too.  

Thank you for this. I am kinda leaning this way, but it's so good to have the reassurance of the Hive! 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

Thank you for this. I am kinda leaning this way, but it's so good to have the reassurance of the Hive! 🙂

I was going to suggest the same.  I'd only have them finish math and do some reading and call it good.  Congrats on your new little one.  Being sleep deprived when we are older is wayyyyy harder than when we are younger.  You need to put yourself first through the fall.  Enjoy your sweet newborn moments!!

• Like 3

You can be done.  Call the next two weeks unschooling and just write down whatever the kids do on their own.  I'd call a lot of it P.E. and "active narration". 😄 

I'm ready, too.  I promised my kid when the dry erase marker ran out of ink we'd be done for the year.  It has a clear stem that tells us how full it is, and right now it's right at the last few drops.  We'll finish the week and call it good.

• Haha 1

Let your kids watch Wild Kratts ( science), Cyber Chase (math), Liberty Kids (Social), Word Girl or Between the Lions, or something like that (LA) and play prodigy math ( more math )  and you have all main subjects covered for those required days... And all can be done while you doze in the same room.   

That is... if you are really worried about it...

• Like 3