Menu

Books in the mystery genre for 7th grade boy

DS#1 was a big mystery buff at that same age. A few of his favorites:

- minute mystery collections (by Hy Conrad, Donald Sobol, and others)
- From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (E.L. Konigsberg)
- Samurai mystery series (Dorothy Hoobler)
- Baker Street Irregulars -- and sequels (Robert Newman) -- other authors have taken over the series; no familiarity with them

And he read through all of the Sherlock Holmes short stories around that time. Start with the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
He also enjoyed some of Agatha Christie's mysteries:
Murder on the Orient Express
- And Then There Were None
- Hercule Poirot's Casebook (short story collection)

No personal experience with these, but they were published quite awhile back, and look similar to the Hardy Boys:
- Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators (Robert Arthur)
- Famous Five series (Enid Boyton)

Or possibly these newer series:
- Alex Rider series (Anthony Horowitz) -- spy-intrigue with a sort-of teen "James Bond"
- 39 Clues (Rick Riordan, and others) -- adventure/puzzle-solving

And here's a link to some additional Hardy Boys, beyond the original series: "The Other Hardy Boys series"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

The Echo Falls series are great for that age. Real murder mysteries, but still age appropriate.

The Winston Breen books are also really good, if slightly younger. They have a puzzle component.

The Sammy Keyes books are fun and light mysteries - they also skew slightly younger, but could be YA.

The London Eye Mystery is a good YA mystery novel and it now has a sequel, The Guggenheim Mystery.

Chasing Vermeer and the sequels are a wonderful art mystery series. I love them. They're upper end middle grades, but thinky enough for a 7th grader.

Seconding the Dorothy Hoobler samurai mysteries and looking at things like Alex Rider, which is not really a mystery series, but a spy series. In that same vein, he might like the Stuart Gibbs Spy School series.

• Like 3

On 3/7/2019 at 7:40 PM, jkl said:

Ds just devoured more than 40 of the original Hardy Boys books.  He would like to read more mysteries.  Any suggestions?

My device that these would be on isn’t availiable ...... separate account for the kids but probably 8 years ago most of the series published by Stratemeyer were availiable for free on Kindle, so quite convenient.  I can’t remember which ones were winners with my kids but I “bought” a whole lot of them at the free price!  Here is a link with all of the pen names http://seriesbooks.info/syndicat.html.  I believe I found some other non Stratemeyer books published in the same era by following the books people also bought links.

Pretty sure Tom Swift was a good one......

This whole series,

Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators in the Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C0UNUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5DXHCbE0Q8PRY follows Hardy Boys well.  And the whole series, but maybe especially this one which is actually the second, Stuttering Parrot, could be a good transition/intro to Sherlock Holmes.  Iirc, the parrot stuttering somehow involves Sherlock Holmes and Shakespeare simultaneously as a clue...   like “222B or not 222B that is the question...”   (or if Sherlock Holmes were already read, then knowing the address it perhaps could be fun to try to outwit Jupiter Jones, the brains of the 3–but this is generally easier reading and more accessible than Sherlock Holmes.)

The first has a haunted house where the haunting feeling is caused by a sound on an organ deeper than hearing range...

Then, perhaps, Anthony Horowitz books.