Menu

THIRTY. DAYS.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because we are a little nuts, DS and I looked up the exact dates when decisions came out at all of his colleges last year, and he put them in his spreadsheet (all of them SAY April 1, but historically they usually come out earlier--mid March to late March)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

College Confidential started a list of admission decision dates. So, don't look if you like surprises. 

My dd, on the other hand, has "Decision Day" (May 1st) on her calendar. She might just be waiting until the bitter end to decide! 

Thanks for the heads up. My DD is adamant that she won’t be going down to the bitter end. But then she never goes down to the bitter end. 

Edit: @Calming Tea, thanks for starting this thread. IRL I know of no one still waiting and DH isn’t the best to commiserate with. Best of luck to all of our DC this month. 

Edited by Arch at Home
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JazzyMom said:

@RootAnn

I told ds I want a decision by April 1.  No waiting until the last possible minute.  I simply can’t take much more.  Lol!

MY ds gas 48 hours....so April 3rd.  LOL, actually it will be very easy for him because he has a very strict idea of the order in which he ranks his desire.  SO thankfully if there are any more acceptances (which is unlikely because the ones left are all major reach schools like Stanford and Carnegie Mellon), he will know right away what his choice is.  We are extremely excited and pleased about Penn State UP Engineering Computer Science, so we are already very happy for him and no worries!  But I just want to know for sure.

• Like 4

LOL!  My kid just got put on a very short music admission wait list at a highly competitive university/music program.  Music wait lists are very different from regular admission waitlist.   I'm really afraid he's going to want to sweat it out until May 1!  I would like 2-3 weeks of peace and quiet.  No e-mails requiring response, sucking up and essays please!  And one of you other schools, it would really help to make an appealing offer to make the wait list school look less intriquing.  

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

LOL!  My kid just got put on a very short music admission wait list at a highly competitive university/music program.  Music wait lists are very different from regular admission waitlist.   I'm really afraid he's going to want to sweat it out until May 1!  I would like 2-3 weeks of peace and quiet.  No e-mails requiring response, sucking up and essays please!  And one of you other schools, it would really help to make an appealing offer to make the wait list school look less intriquing.  

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!! I know music auditions are nerve wrecking! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

According to his spreadsheet 🙂 DS will likely hear from Macalester Sunday and then a few more over the following week. Eek! I'm kind of freaking out--I really have NO IDEA how this part with all the most selective schools is going to go--I can't imagine how it must be for HIM. He already has a few great options, but I know that he's going to be seriously bummed the first time he gets a rejection. I just hope there are at least a couple of acceptances mixed in! 

• Like 3

I don't know. My ds handed all the portals over to me and the passwords and just put it out of his mind.  He said he doesn't mind at all if I check first, and then show him....which I think is weird. He really really really wants to go to a few of these schools. 

But on the other hand, he has a great acceptance, and is very excited about it- and he understands the chances are low, and he believes there are many paths one can take to success in life...

Maybe your ds won't be too bummed if he gets a few rejections.  ....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kokotg said:

According to his spreadsheet 🙂 DS will likely hear from Macalester Sunday and then a few more over the following week. Eek! I'm kind of freaking out--I really have NO IDEA how this part with all the most selective schools is going to go--I can't imagine how it must be for HIM. He already has a few great options, but I know that he's going to be seriously bummed the first time he gets a rejection. I just hope there are at least a couple of acceptances mixed in! 

On a Sunday? I would have never thought that acceptances would come out over the weekend. A favorable decision could change our plans for next week. Dd is currently scheduled to spend the night at St. Olaf on Monday night...I wish your son some acceptances. 

2 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

Maybe your ds won't be too bummed if he gets a few rejections.  ....

He definitely will....he's a perfectionist from way back. Some rejection will probably be good for him, though--it's the kind of thing you just need to learn to deal with if you want to be a human 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

On a Sunday? I would have never thought that acceptances would come out over the weekend. A favorable decision could change our plans for next week. Dd is currently scheduled to spend the night at St. Olaf on Monday night...I wish your son some acceptances. 

That's how they've done it the past two years, according to college confidential threads. Good luck to your DD! We have a Minnesota spring break scheduled right now, with visits to Carleton, St Olaf, and Macalester....subject to change depending on how things go this month.

8 hours ago, kokotg said:

That's how they've done it the past two years, according to college confidential threads. Good luck to your DD! We have a Minnesota spring break scheduled right now, with visits to Carleton, St Olaf, and Macalester....subject to change depending on how things go this month.

That is our plan also but since it is next week we were only intending on visiting those we had affirmative answers from, hence St. Olaf’s at the moment. 

54 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

That is our plan also but since it is next week we were only intending on visiting those we had affirmative answers from, hence St. Olaf’s at the moment. 

gotcha. Well--I hope they come out Sunday then! (and I'm sorry if I spoiled the surprise--I'll stop talking about my spreadsheet dates now!)

Edited by kokotg
  • Haha 1

I hear you. My younger one is transferring under a guaranteed admission agreement, but I'm watching it. All of the transcripts are in, thankfully.

We had all kinds of issues with my oldest when we did that. April came and went, and it wasn't on my radar because of an ongoing family crises, and then summer came. Then we both realized that he hadn't been admitted! So we had to beg and plead and finally got him admitted in late July. Ultimately it was a glitch in their system. Needless to say, his course schedule was pretty bad. He could only get 12 hours in his major, so he took another 3-hour fluff class so he would have 15 hours for his program.

This time we're going to jump on it as soon as she's admitted.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Arch at Home said:

DD did not get into Macalester. They had a significant increase in applications and an 8% acceptance rate. I wonder how acceptance rates for other schools are trending.

I'm sorry to hear that 😞 . You're seeing St. Olaf this week, yes? I hope she loves it (and I'd love to hear your report after you visit)

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Calming Tea said:

So I was obsessing over the statistical probability of my son getting into his reaches, and it turns out that getting into schools with a 5% admissions rate is statistically considered impossible. LOL

https://www.mathsisfun.com/probability_line.html

Oh jeez! My daughter is waiting to hear from 7 selective schools and despite the fact that her stats are good I think it is possible that she will not be accepted to any of them :(. We are prepared for that possibility. She has 1 safety she is pretty excited about, and several other good options as well, but would really like to get into a few of these schools. I know she'll be OK no matter what, but it would be a major blow if she gets 7 "no's."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirag714 said:

Oh jeez! My daughter is waiting to hear from 7 selective schools and despite the fact that her stats are good I think it is possible that she will not be accepted to any of them :(. We are prepared for that possibility. She has 1 safety she is pretty excited about, and several other good options as well, but would really like to get into a few of these schools. I know she'll be OK no matter what, but it would be a major blow if she gets 7 "no's."

We have discussed with our son, and he is super mathy so he is pretty much expecting 5 rejections, but he says that, since he applied to 5 that increases his chances to more than the average of the admissions rates of the 5.  I think that makes no sense, but he's 17 and wants to go to Carnegie Mellon.  🙂 He can dream and hope,.... since he worked extremely hard and made some unusual choices and pushed through a lot of things other kids didn't, he has a chance- but it's about the same chance as anyone else who applied. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calming Tea said:

We have discussed with our son, and he is super mathy so he is pretty much expecting 5 rejections, but he says that, since he applied to 5 that increases his chances to more than the average of the admissions rates of the 5.  I think that makes no sense, but he's 17 and wants to go to Carnegie Mellon.  🙂 He can dream and hope,.... since he worked extremely hard and made some unusual choices and pushed through a lot of things other kids didn't, he has a chance- but it's about the same chance as anyone else who applied. 🙂

I wasn't ever that great at Combinations, but this seems wrong mathematically.

Regardless of the statistics, what's the next date the group y'all are waiting for? Looks like a handful release on March 15. (MIT on Mar 14th?) Then, another couple on March 22/23?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I wasn't ever that great at Combinations, but this seems wrong mathematically.

Regardless of the statistics, what's the next date the group y'all are waiting for? Looks like a handful release on March 15. (MIT on Mar 14th?) Then, another couple on March 22/23?

I started another thread about it and looks like mathematically they are considered independent probability events....so, both me and my son are wrong. YOu can't average them, and you don't increase probability by doing more than one. 🙂

Anyway, we are waiting on three March 28, one March 30th and two April 1st 🙂

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

We should have 2 or 3 more by the end of the week, including two of DS's top 4, so that's a little scary. One of them in Grinnell, though, and I'm not sure if they're still on schedule, what with the crazy hacking thing last week and all (did you guys hear about that???? THREE of the colleges DS applied to!)

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Hoggirl said:

@kokotg - I did not hear about this.  Can you elaborate?

Grinnell, Hamilton, and Oberlin all had someone hack into their admissions data last week. For Oberlin and Hamilton, we only knew because they sent out an e-mail telling about it. For Grinnell, everyone who applied got an e-mail from the admissions department e-mail address, offering to sell them their admission file, complete with notes from the committee, letters of recommendation, and tentative decision. The e-mail had DS's birthday, the names of the subject tests he submitted, and the name of the person who interviewed him....so it seems like they really did have access to everything. Grinnell's response has been less than impressive. For hours and hours they had a very brief message up on twitter and facebook, but they didn't e-mail anyone about it until late that day or maybe the next day, and they still haven't really said anything about how it happened or exactly what information was compromised. 

• Confused 4

3 hours ago, kokotg said:

Grinnell, Hamilton, and Oberlin all had someone hack into their admissions data last week. For Oberlin and Hamilton, we only knew because they sent out an e-mail telling about it. For Grinnell, everyone who applied got an e-mail from the admissions department e-mail address, offering to sell them their admission file, complete with notes from the committee, letters of recommendation, and tentative decision. The e-mail had DS's birthday, the names of the subject tests he submitted, and the name of the person who interviewed him....so it seems like they really did have access to everything. Grinnell's response has been less than impressive. For hours and hours they had a very brief message up on twitter and facebook, but they didn't e-mail anyone about it until late that day or maybe the next day, and they still haven't really said anything about how it happened or exactly what information was compromised. 

My daughter applied to Hamilton so we heard from them directly. I thought they handled fairly well! It sounds like the Grinnell hack was more invasive - yikes!

• Like 1

And I was just thinking how fast time is flying. I'm going to start to get weepy thinking high school for my DD is almost over and her time at home is nearing an end. (Because while this is "home", she will likely only be home to visit once she leaves.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

And I was just thinking how fast time is flying. I'm going to start to get weepy thinking high school for my DD is almost over and her time at home is nearing an end. (Because while this is "home", she will likely only be home to visit once she leaves.)

I know I mean, I don't want my ds to go anywhere!  I will miss him so much. I can't even imagine him going anywhere 😞 But I need to get my loan paperwork done and there are a lot of details to finalize for air travel, New Student Orientation and where my dd is going to go during that time, also.  I'd just like to KNOW also, like so I can come to grips with imagining him wherever he's going to be.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I think the only thing keeping me from an emotional breakdown over the idea of DS leaving is that I can't think about anything beyond getting all his decisions yet. It will be nice to know where he's going soon, but it's also going to make it all seem more real, I bet.

Williams just announced yesterday that decisions are coming out Monday. We're expecting a couple more before then based on historical precedent, but that's the next one we know for sure. It's one of his favorites and also the one with the second lowest admissions rate of all he applied to (after Harvard). So we'll be pretty surprised if he gets in. And, secretly, I won't be that sad if he doesn't, because it's so in the middle of nowhere that getting him there and back sounds like a logistical nightmare. 

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 3

I am glad you all are having warm and fuzzy feelings.  After 12 years of homeschooling (k-11) with pretty much zero problems or issues, ds has made this last year incredibly difficult.  His DE courses have gone well, but the at home stuff...  oh my goodness... torture.  

This week is spring break and instead of relaxing, we’re doing a calculus/comp sci bootcamp.  There have been many, many tantrums, sadly, on my part.  Haha!

I’m ready to push this bird out of the nest...

We were notified that he got into another honors program yesterday, but he has not received any additional offers of scholarship money this month.  So right now, there is a clear favorite that we’re all extremely happy about, and that makes the waiting easier.  It would take a huge merit award from one of the other schools to sway us in another direction.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, JazzyMom said:

After 12 years of homeschooling (k-11) with pretty much zero problems or issues, ds has made this last year incredibly difficult.  His DE courses have gone well, but the at home stuff...  oh my goodness... torture.  

Well, after 12 years of nagging & dragging, I'm having a better year w/ DD than I've ever had. Because she has NOTHING with me at home. All her classes are outsourced & things will fall where they may grade-wise. It helps that she picked all her classes this year so she's only doing the stuff she wants to do (which explains why, this semester, she's taking only foreign languages & math).

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Well, after 12 years of nagging & dragging, I'm having a better year w/ DD than I've ever had. Because she has NOTHING with me at home. All her classes are outsourced & things will fall where they may grade-wise. It helps that she picked all her classes this year so she's only doing the stuff she wants to do (which explains why, this semester, she's taking only foreign languages & math).

Glad you are having a good year!  My DD is taking 3 foreign languages this year and loving it.  She would've loved to push certain other subjects out of the way, too, if she could have, to make way for more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JazzyMom said:

This week is spring break and instead of relaxing, we’re doing a calculus/comp sci bootcamp. 

Congrats on the honors program acceptance. Are these the Derek Owens ones? (DO is fabulous, but it did NOT work for DD#1. She hates physics to this day. I never should have picked that format for a kid who needs constant review & live interaction. Mea culpa.)

• Like 1