Menu

New van because of accident

school17777

So we just found out that the insurance approved a total loss for my new van that I was in an accident with last week. It was questionable because it’s literally brand new and the repairs hovered right around the % needed to total it.  We are thankful they approved the loss.

Anyway, we planned, if the loss was approved, to turn around and rebuy the same van.  The only hesitation that I have is that some reviews by mechanics of the Odyssey vs Sienna suggest that the transmission is better in the Toyota. I asked a friend who works on transmissions and he said based only on the transmission, he would go with the Sienna.  So now I’m conflicted.

I like the look of the Odyssey better.  The last time I test drove both, over a decade ago, I definitely liked the drive of the Odyssey better.  I won’t have a chance to test drive a Toyota until Saturday.  I don’t know how much longer we get the rental.  If we rebuy the Odyssey, I already have everything set up, so and we can pick it up in a day or so (they need it to add an accessory that I want that’s not standard).

I can’t even figure out the trim level on the Sienna to look up stock.  I want 8 seats, leather, sunroof, navigation, and DVD player.  What trim is that in a Sienna?

Edited by school17777

Were you driving the 2018 or 2019 Odyssey? Note that they have just recalled the sliding doors, so if you rebuy the new model line, make sure that that adjustment has been made.

I test drove both in the 2018 models. The Sienna has colder air-conditioning and more usb ports. The Odyssey's variable cycle engine starting in the new model line (2018 and newer) makes it drive a bit differently.  It's very different than our older model Odyssey---not quite as much kick when racing up to highway speeds and a little bit of clunkiness in the downshift between 4th and 3rd and 3rd and 2nd. That said, it's a very smooth ride otherwise and I liked the Apple CarPlay.

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Were you driving the 2018 or 2019 Odyssey? Note that they have just recalled the sliding doors, so if you rebuy the new model line, make sure that that adjustment has been made.

I test drove both in the 2018 models. The Sienna has colder air-conditioning and more usb ports. The Odyssey's variable cycle engine starting in the new model line (2018 and newer) makes it drive a bit differently.  It's very different than our older model Odyssey---not quite as much kick when racing up to highway speeds and a little bit of clunkiness in the downshift between 4th and 3rd and 3rd and 2nd. That said, it's a very smooth ride otherwise and I liked the Apple CarPlay.

I had a 2019.  For kick, make sure eco is off.  I put it in sport mode on the highway.  

Eta:  thanks for letting me know about the sliding door recall

Edited by school17777
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, school17777 said:

I looked at some xle models online at local dealership and none had a DVD player.  It said 8 seats, but the pictures only showed 7.

The eighth seat is actually removable and stored in the back. We only put it in when we need it. It’s easy to take in and out. The DVD player may be special order.

• Like 1

It's been a couple of years since a bought a minivan (and 10 years before that) and both times after doing a test drive, the Odyssey won hands down.  The interior  and the ride just feel so much nicer.  The Toyota trim work feels cheap to me.  We also took each vehicle home (we were also looking at a Kia Sedona) and when polled separately (no influence from sibs) the 5 kids old enough to voice an opinion liked the Odyssey best.  Since our kids were older we wanted to make sure they were comfortable enough for long rides when we all traveled together.  The Toyota had some weird supports under the middle row seats and it left the back row without much depth for foot space (and when your kids are wearing size 12 and 13 in men's they need space to put those feet).  I have friends who swear by Siennas but they just don't work for our family.  In your shoes, I'd really try to get a test drive in on the Toyota as soon as possible and see what feels best to your family.

• Like 3

No problems with transmissions with our 2000 and 2012 Odysseys. When we needed to get a wheelchair conversion van, I was quite depressed thinking I would have to give up my Odyssey for a Caravan or Sienna. We had a Sienna as a rental and the interior was so cheap looking compared to our Odyssey. And their conversion van back seats are tiny. Then we found out that there is a rear-entry Odyssey conversion van and I was happy again. Nice interior, full-size back seats, and we just don't have mechanical problems ever with either car. I loved my old Odyssey so much that we just kept it as our dds would be driving in a few years. Best decision. Still no major problems with a 19 year old car!

• Like 1

Dh is set on the Odyssey and isn’t interested in looking at the Sienna, although since it’s my car, he’d do it for me.  The kids like the Odyssey that we had too.  I think I’m just going to stick with it as I was pleased with the van I just lost and we were happy with our 2006 that we had before that.

• Like 1

My 2007 Odyssey has 260,000 miles on it, and it's never had major transmission problems.  It was slipping last summer, but the transmission shop changed the fluid, and it hasn't had any problems since.  I will say that my van has the "Tow package", which includes an extra little radiator/cooler just for the transmission (along with a trailer hitch, of course).  This extra cooling may be the reason the transmission has lasted so long.  If Honda still offers the Towing Package option, I'd recommend it.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

My 2007 Odyssey has 260,000 miles on it, and it's never had major transmission problems.  It was slipping last summer, but the transmission shop changed the fluid, and it hasn't had any problems since.  I will say that my van has the "Tow package", which includes an extra little radiator/cooler just for the transmission (along with a trailer hitch, of course).  This extra cooling may be the reason the transmission has lasted so long.  If Honda still offers the Towing Package option, I'd recommend it.

I think it’s the newer transmissions that are the issue.  

I've had two Odyssey vans - much older (2004? 2006?) and we went through probably 7 transmissions with both of them. We still own a Honda (Accord) but we went with manual transmission (which I prefer anyway).

However, my youngest has a Toyota Camry. I was surprised at the differences between the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry that are weird to me.

#1 The Honda bluetooth will connect immediately if I turn on bluetooth on my phone (if the car is on!) However, the Toyota will only connect if I have my phone's bluetooth turned on before I start the car. If you are travelling down the road and remember you haven't turned your bluetooth on, if you are in the Toyota, you will have to pull over, turn off the engine and restart the car. I find this annoying - mostly because I only turn on the bluetooth when making long drives. 

#2. The seat heater controls are on the wrong side in the Toyota - the button controlling the driver's seat is on the right side of the console (reachable from the driver's seat though) and the one controlling the passenger's seat is on the left. 

So, if all things were the same between the Honda and the Toyota, I'd start thinking about those small things that really don't seem that big but can prove to be annoying later. 

It might impact my decision making if one or more of my kids would be leaving home in the next year or two. (Which is why I ended up with an Accord vs. a minivan last time!)