Menu

Crisis Options for unexpected HS Homeschool

We have had a situation come up where the best option for some of the kids may be to return to homeschooling. They had been doing well in school academically and the plan was to continue in their programs, but let's just assume, hypothetically, that returning is not an option. I really don't want to discuss why it may not be an option or justify any decision I make. We'll have to decide very quickly. I'm not too concerned about the younger children involved (possibly 9th and 6th graders) as they have time to recover and build from the switch. My DS, however, is entering the 2nd semester of his junior year and is taking 2 AP classes. He was homeschooled from 3rd-8th grade so I'm not naive to the situation. I cannot be the primary teacher for more than maybe 1 subject for him. I won't do it again. It was too stressful for me because of personality issues and at this point I need to just be Mom. I'm happy to help with homework and be a facilitator. 

In this situation, what online classes, providers, etc would you suggest and how bad would it be for his college prospects? He is a high achieving student and we would like solid classes but because of reasons, that's not really the priority. The priority is finding something good enough that he could transfer into immediately, not lose a year, and that is flexible. I don't want something with all live classes but 1-2 live classes would be fine, especially if there's an offline option for occasional missed days. 

To give you an idea of what he likes, his last year homeschool he did AOPS number theory and stats online and Lukeion Greek among some other things, and he really, really enjoyed those classes. I am open to something totally one stop like Laurel Springs or piecing together from different independent sources, but we don't want to spend all our money. Laurel Springs would be more money than we'd prefer to spend. Self paced classes are good, but we need grades from an outside teacher or he won't work. 

Edited by Paige
typos

Paige-which APs?

Math (not live) would be Derek Owens. Affordable, outside grader, but no dates, so you'd have to stay on him.

Other APs would depend on the subject.

If you don't mind Christian, The Potter School, Wilson Hill Academy, or Memoria Press or could be almost a one-stop shop. WTMA might also be able to accommodate you and likely would accept you high schooler midstream without too much fuss. (Wilson Hill would be tougher both $ wise & convincing-wise.)

Foreign language needs? Give us his class list & we can be more specific with recommendations.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

He's taking AP US History and Computer Science

Other current classes are Chemistry, PreCal, but his school calls it something different, Spanish, English, and some electives that aren't necessary to find elsewhere. 

We would prefer secular but we're open.

AP US History options

PA Homeschoolers has three sections - each with a different teacher, but Richman & Burns indicate on their pages that their class was full for this year. Hawkins did not have the same message on her page. You'd need to contact each teacher to see if they have room or would take your son mid-year. I didn't look specifically, but I believe these classes do not have a live meeting but do have due dates.

WTMA has an Advanced US History class listed, but I can't find a registration option for starting up mid-semester. They do have their Basic US History class listed for mid-year registration. If you are interested in this class, I'd call the WTMA office. They just started class this week but have registration open until this Friday. It doesn't look like this class has its syllabus approved by the College Board, but it does say that it preps for the AP exam. I don't know anyone who has taken this class. (The Basic US History class teacher is beloved by many, but my dd didn't like her style. Your mileage may vary.)

Memoria Press has an AP US History class, but you'd need to email onlineacademy@memoriapress.com or call them (877) 745-8866 because they don't have their full year 2018-2019 classes up for registration anymore. I have no experience with MP as an AP provider. (Christian provider)

AP Computer Science

I'm assuming that the Comp Sci course is AP Comp Sci A? PA Homeschoolers has a class for this. There is an optional live meeting each week. I'd contact the teacher to see about joining mid-year. 

EdX has a few at-your-own-pace classes

Edhesive also has an AP Computer Science A class. There are some threads with reviews. I found this one from 2016. I think it has changed some since then. I think there are a few people on here who used this option more recently who could tell you how they signed up & how it went.

PreCalc

Derek Owens - You might ask for your son to be able to "test through" the course & pick up wherever he needs to start. If you ask, Derek will call & talk to you about your specific situation & give advice. He's absolutely wonderful to work with.

Chemistry

I'd start by asking @Dicentra if she'd accept your son in her regular Chem class. I think she's full, but if someone had to drop, she might have room to fit your son in at this point.

If that doesn't work, Mrs. Childress at Excelsior Classes is a great teacher and good to work with. The class isn't "honors" - but it is solid. She'd let your son start mid-year if at all possible, I believe. (Christian provider)

WTMA has a Chem class where the lab is separate from the class itself. Looks like two of the classes still have seats available for mid-year registration.

English

I'd go with Lantern English. You'll have to register for 4th quarter classes since 3rd quarter class registration is closed, but you could double up (one writing, one lit) class during 4th quarter to get the whole semester worth of credit done. Lots of options to choose from. This would give him a chance to get his feet under him in the other classes before starting up lit/writing.

Edited to add: Alternately, you could do one writing class with Lantern English & also do Roy Speed's Macbeth intensive. There is no written output, but it is VERY engaging teacher who makes even a Shakespeare-hater an admirer. So, low on output but the kids learn quite a bit during class. Class starts March 13 & meets once weekly for seven weeks.

Spanish

Since it is tough to jump into any language mid-year, I'd likely finish this year out with Homeschool Spanish Academy. There are several families who use this who can give you a referral code if you want to help them out. (They'll get a free class or two, I think, for referring you. We have personally used this as extra tutoring/grammar/conversation practice. If you find a good tutor, this is a GREAT option to continue Spanish after this year.) One-on-one tutoring, minimal homework. They'll place your son in their program during the first meeting. He can go as quickly or slowly as he needs to. You'll want to schedule at least two tutoring sessions per week. I believe 30 sessions gives a semester credit, but it depends on how quickly he goes through their material. Don't be surprised if he places slightly below where he was in school.

Edited by RootAnn
added Roy Speed option for English
  • Like 5

I'll just say I am really not a fan of pulling a high schooler out like this mid-year, particularly a junior.  My first reaction would be to work within the school to solve whatever the problem is.  He may be able to try homebound options?  

For the 9th grader I wouldn't worry at all, but an 11th grader us so close to college entrance that I would not want to mess up anything for him.

As a person who pulled a high school junior out of a private high school to homeschool, I can tell you that it is not for the faint of heart.  I suggest that you think seriously about whether you think you can craft a counselor letter that explains the move in a way that makes it sound like he is moving toward something rather than running away from something.  If you can't, I would seriously consider riding out the second semester at the school if at all possible.  (In my son's case, I was able to say that he needed more STEM stuff than his rigorous, IB school was providing and that he was able to get that as a dual enrolled student at the local CC.)  I would also make absolutely sure for all of you high school kids that you time their withdrawal so that they don't get Fs on their transcript.

All of that said, if you really can't be involved in their education, I'd look at Derek Owens for math.   

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bristayl said:

Does your state have an online public school option like Connections Academy or K12?

Too late to register. They offered homebound but it only gives the core 4 subjects. It's a possibility but not an especially good one. You all will have to trust me that it isn't a whim and I am fully aware of the negatives associated with potentially pulling anyone out. It would be done under duress. 

It's not that I can't be involved in the education, but that I won't be lead teacher for all or even most subjects for this student. 

• Like 1

Might there be online distance classes at a college he could do?  Local CC to you?  

Or I think several universities offer this even if elsewhere from where you are.   Oregon State?  University of Colorado?

MOOCs?

If AoPS worked in past how about return to that for math?

Maybe buy the same texts he has currently  for history etc and continue those independently till he can outsource? 

Here we are close to semester end- if he could finish the semester with grades intact, that might help a lot. 

Dont know if problem is such that he must be home—but if not, might taking spring semester to travel be an option?  Maybe an exchange program to a Spanish speaking country?  (Our area gets a surprisingly lot of last minute exchange students making me wonder why sometimes.)  

Then perhaps start K12 or dual enrollment as a “junior” next year maybe with an extra year or half year of school added before college?

A: College Credit for High School Students gives academically ready high school students the opportunity to take Oregon State University courses online for .

You are going to run into difficulties trying to find providers mid-yr.  Derek Owens is asynchronous, video based, so that would work for math. For Spanish,, a private tutor would be your easiest solution.  Could he do CS independently?  Clover Valley might have room in the non-honors section that Connie might let you jump into midstream.

FWIW, another issue you might face is finding a place to sit for the AP exams.  You might want to inquire that he can take the exams at his current school even if he withdraws.  They may or may not let him take the exam there.  If not, you need to see if you can find a different location.  If not, keeping those AP level might become a moot pt.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

You are going to run into difficulties trying to find providers mid-yr.

If he could do something like Oregon State eclasses open to high school students, it is on quarter system.  

Problem could be F’s due to withdrawal from current high school classes — but the university  eclasses could start in spring, maybe even winter quarter term still and there are probably hundreds of classes offered.  

31 minutes ago, Pen said:

If he could do something like Oregon State eclasses open to high school students, it is on quarter system.  

Problem could be F’s due to withdrawal from current high school classes — but the university  eclasses could start in spring, maybe even winter quarter term still and there are probably hundreds of classes offered.  

If the OP goes this route, she needs to understand that DE grades / transcripts will follow the student forever. It is not a path I would undertake wo ensuring my child fully understood that and definitely was capable of succeeding. Poor DE grades can undermine students in the future.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Paige said:

He's taking AP US History and Computer Science

My kid has a tutor for European History and I had the syllabus approved on the CollegeBoard AP course audit in 10mins. He was in a course and found it hard so we went the tutor route. It’s still possible to get your son’s course approved as AP under AP course audit if you want the weighted GPA boost. My kids took the AP Computer Science exam in 2017 using Edhesive since they prefer deadlines even though they could have self studied.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-course-audit

• Like 2

Thanks. I think we have a plan for going forward. If all goes well they will stay where they are through the end of the school year and then we'll reevaluate. If things are such that we have to pull early, we have a plan for that as well. He won't receive Fs. At worst it would be some Incompletes and he'd have to retake them if he doesn't clear the Is.

• Like 1