Menu

Has anyone had hand foot and mouth as an adult?

Terabith

Technically, I have just the mouth ulcers (herpangina), but the doctor didn’t give me a lot of information other than that with the flu like illness and likely scarlet fever it was going to be an unpleasant week.  And herpangina is same virus as hand foot and mouth.  But I’m wondering things like when do I change my toothbrush?  What can I eat or drink (not that anything sounds appealing).   What should I expect?  How contagious am I?

It should last about 4 to 7 days.  Though are the towards the back or front of your mouth?  As the type of Enterovirus that causes HFM as well, causes ulcers in the front of the mouth. 
You mentioned Scarlet Fever, but that is caused by the Strep A virus.

But a major side effect, can be Dehydration. So that you need to make sure that you get enough fluids. Where the citric acids in fruit juices are a problem. You could try things like Oat and Almond Milk?  Also Coconut Water.  Sucking on flavored ice blocks, can be soothing and provide extra fluids.  Keep an eye on the color of your urine, as it becomes more yellow as dehydration increases.

With foods, the thing is to avoid anything spicy. Fiber is probably the most important thing, to keep the digestive system moving.

It is contagious, where the virus is present in the ulcers. As well as in the feces. It is also in 'respiratory droplets', so the mouth should be covered when coughing or sneezing. Regularly washing the hands, is important to prevent spreading it.  The virus can survive on most surfaces, for up to 3 days.   With your toothbrush, it might be worth replacing it. When all of symptoms have disappeared. Is it stored separately from other family members toothbrushes?

• Like 1

Yeah, doctor said three different things.  Scarlet fever because of rash, flu like virus, and herpangina.  Sores are mostly along back of gum lines and under and on tongue.  So more towards front of mouth, but he said it was same virus as hand foot and mouth.  I’m trying to stay hydrated, but but I’m having trouble sleeping and eating because of pain and how generally lousy I feel.  Coughing, body aches, skin hurts, sore throat and headache.   Chills and fever.  

Will change out toothbrushes.  Not touching other family members but not terribly far away from them either.   

I cant imagine fruit or juice.  Milk and pudding and yogurt have been okay, but I feel queasy after about three bites.  Cool water is okay sometimes.  

Mostly I am just exhausted.  I keep taking hot baths to try to stop chills.  I have stuff that I need to do but just can’t physically manage to do it.  

All of your illnesses sound terrible on their own, but together, I can't even imagine! It seems like you have been getting sick a lot lately. Maybe it would be worth trying to figure out why you keep getting so sick.

Hope you feel better soon 😞 

Yes, I had it a little over a year ago, and it was the most miserable 10 days ever, It started with a weird sensation in my fingers and toes, like I had a bunch of paper cuts. Then the fever started. I sat on the back porch in 98-degree weather trying to warm up. A couple of days later, I woke up with a big, weird blister on the back of my hand. I texted a pic to my DH, who texted back, "Oh, my gosh, you have hand, foot, and mouth disease." He forwarded the pic to my internist, just to confirm, and her advice was to stay hydrated, rest, and take oatmeal baths. I also used something called "Magic Mouthwash." I can't remember if that was a prescription or not, but I couldn't eat without it.  Over the next few days, I had spots everywhere except my face. 

My older kids must've had it at some point, because they didn't catch it, but my younger 2 did. They had the more typical childhood version, with spots around their mouths and noses, lower fevers, and less misery in general, thankfully.

It's a hard illness for an adult. I hope it passes quickly for you. I thought my fingernails were going to survive unscathed, but 6-8 weeks later, they started peeling off. It was pretty bad. My toenails stayed intact. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

This sounds so awful! I’m sorry. Did your doctor mention ibuprofen being ok? Because taking ibu on a schedule like clock work can really help with mouth sore pain. As far as drinks, I think iced green tea might be good and soothing and also possible kefir. Did your doctor give you a mouth wash for the sores? There’s one called ‘magic mouth wash’ that a pharmacist mixes with lidocaine, Benadryl and I think maalox that is very soothing and numbs the pain for a while.

Hope you feel better *really* soon!

Dh had it a few years ago and it was so bad his doc called in the other staff to look at it. He felt like a zoo animal.  His mouth wasn’t the worst part, but he did have the mouth rinse stuff. As far as being contagious, none of the rest of us got it. 

I hope you feel better soon. 

My son and daughter-in-law both came down with it right after their son was born and needed surgery.  So, in addition to their son being in the NICU, they were not allowed to be with him.  It was heartbreaking, they had to stay away for 6 days.  They had just a few in their mouth, mostly down their throat.  My son was most affected on his feet.  They were very bad.  He lost all his toenails.  My DIL did not get it quite so bad, mostly on her hands.

Hand Foot and Mouth can cause flu like symptoms on it's own, so I doubt you have that AND flu. 

As for what to eat, when my kids had it I got those yogurt tubes (Simply Yogurt - the ones with less sugar/colors/etc) and froze them. They pretty much lived off that. 

Yeah, I was wondering about the flu thing, since the flu test was negative.  The scarlet fever rash does seem pretty classic, however, so I’m willing to buy both.  I have been taking my vitamins, but there’s probably some psychological stuff reducing my immune system.  (And I’m taking college classes.)    It’s miserable.  I’m using the magic mouthwash and taking both ibuprofen and Tylenol on staggered schedule.  I have cough medicine and steroids and antibiotics for the scarlet fever.  And cortisone for that pain.  But my mouth hurts, throat, splitting headache, skin and joints.  Chills and fever and feel nauseous.  Resting.   But the discomfort makes it hard to sleep and that is getting to me.  

Oh, ouch.  I’m so sorry.

I had it a few years ago, and it was utter misery.  DS and I had it at the same time.  It was ... awful.  I’m sure I posted here about it, but will likely never find that thread again.  There were news articles that year about a bad strain going around. Whatever we had - whoa.  We both lost our finger and toenails later, too.  

I hope it is easier on you than it was here.

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

Doctor friend thinks I should consider ER because of exhaustion and dehydration.   I worry about overkill.   But I am having trouble sleeping because of pain and leading to seeing things out of the corner of my eyes.   

What did you decide to do?

Do you mean you are seeing things out of the corner of your eyes?  What kind of things?

If you didn’t go, hope you are able to get some sleep.

She thinks it’s just hand foot and mouth.  Rash can be rarer symptom though she agreed it looked like scarlet fever.  Said to rotate Tylenol and ibuprofen, magic mouthwash, and lozenges to try to get fluids in.  Said it’s just miserable and to go back to bed but she doesn’t think it’s dangerous.  

Edited by Terabith
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

Definitely feeling some better but still have a fever and mouth ulcers and rash.  Is it normal to feel utterly exhausted by this virus?  I’m trying to do a bit more but even getting out of bed is exhausting.  

Yup. I think it was the worst thing my kids' ever had. 

• Sad 1