Menu

What do YOU bring to potlucks?

Carol in Cal.

On 12/19/2018 at 9:28 AM, AbcdeDooDah said:

Did the orzo turn out? I have some but I don't have converted rice and don't really know what that is. Or could I use long grain rice?

The orzo worked!  I didn't get to taste it, but I didn't hear anyone ask about the switch.  ;)

I think Uncle Ben's rice starts out a bit bigger than long grain rice.  Maybe it will just cook up a little faster??  I would guess it shouldn't matter in a crockpot.  Try it at home with a single batch once!

• Like 1

I’m not much of a cook.  Ours are often like hot chickens provided but everyone brings salads and a sweet.  Seeing as 3/5 of our fam won’t  eat salad dressing I take a vege stick and dip platter so there’s at least some salad for them.  My go to dessert is meringues with berries but occasionally I do something else.

thats of course the times when it isn’t bought sausage rolls or something ...

On 12/17/2018 at 9:21 AM, Hoggirl said:

A lot of the potlucks we attend are sort of happy hour parties with appetizers and drinks.  When I am feeling industrious, I make marinated cheese. It’s beautiful, and everyone loves it.  When I am less industrious, I take the Spinach/Artichoke dip from Sam’s. For either I bring along some GF crackers. 

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/marinated-cheese-appetizer/

Where has this been all my life???

On 12/16/2018 at 7:37 AM, Carol in Cal. said:

Once I served Angel Pie to my relatives, that was it--I had to make it every year for Christmas.

I just googled this and, o my goodness, how have I been missing this my whole life. I know what I want for my birthday in January! I've made a similar pavlova but have to try this now 🙂 

On 12/16/2018 at 11:36 AM, Lady Marmalade said:

This time of year were I to make a trifle, it would probably be a Salted Caramel Pineapple Upside Down Trifle.  I use homemade yellow cake, a vanilla pastry cream, caramelized pineapple, a homemade salted caramel drizzle and freshly whipped cream.   Or maybe a Black Forest Trifle- brownies with homemade cherry pie filling, chocolate custard, vanilla whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Toasted pecans if I can take nuts.  One year I made a blackberry lemon trifle using a white chocolate blondie as the base with lemon curd, fresh blackberries and macadamia nuts. 

I have never made a trifle and honestly probably never will but I sure wish you'd come to our next potluck!

On 12/16/2018 at 1:01 PM, Farrar said:

My go to is a dish that's yellow rice, black beans, homemade salsa, and sliced avocado. 

This sounds so good! 

I don't have a usual but have often gotten creative... cheesecake, chili, orange biscuits, baked cheese dip, deviled eggs...  but with life changes have majorly scaled back... last time I brought grapes, haha!

The cucumber salads sound like they are a hit so I think I may try making that next time. 

Love all the ideas!