Menu

Critical fashion question!!! Lol

teachermom2834

Can you (or should you)wear duck boots when it isn’t raining??? 

I just bought a pair of low duck boots (or duck loafers if you know what I mean). I want to wear them to a kid activity tonight. I’m in the south and it is cool and general late fall dreary but no rain or snow in sight. But they are new and comfy and I want some excitement in my life 🙂

What say the hive??? 

(My young adult sons wear them with jeans year round but I tell them that is weird)

DS23 is our fashion expert, and he wears his from the time it gets cool in the fall through winter, regardless of weather. And trust me, he wouldn't do it if it were considered a fashion faux pas. But he's a guy, so maybe the rules are different for women? We're in NC.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

I think duck boots exist outside of fashion, so you can really just do what you want.  

Well every high school and college age kid wears them here, with skinny jeans or leggings mostly. Definitely stylish and very in fashion. Of course, they are made locally so that might affect our sensibilities...

(oh, actual boots, not loafers. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone wear those)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

I think duck boots exist outside of fashion, so you can really just do what you want.  

They're very (very) much in fashion around here among college students, and have been for a few years now. It's one of those rare fashion trends that involves something sensible.The demand was so high a couple of years ago that LL Bean couldn't keep up and they were back ordered for quite a long time around Christmas that year.

• Like 2

It certainly wouldn’t come near to the weirdest clothing or shoe choices I’ve seen! I would wear them for sure in fall or winter even without actual rain or snow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

Well every high school and college age kid wears them here, with skinny jeans or leggings mostly. Definitely stylish and very in fashion. Of course, they are made locally so that might affect our sensibilities...

(oh, actual boots, not loafers. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone wear those)

51 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

They're very (very) much in fashion around here among college students, and have been for a few years now. It's one of those rare fashion trends that involves something sensible.The demand was so high a couple of years ago that LL Bean couldn't keep up and they were back ordered for quite a long time around Christmas that year.

Hmm, I guess, people wear them here in a similar way, especially the winter versions, with leggings, thick socks, plaid shirts, and a toque.  I hadn't really thought of it as fasion, so much as sensible.

I do think though they kind of transcend fashion, they are a classic.  You could do a fashionable look, or just odd cat lady, or preparing for a flood...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Yup. They had to hire tons more people to keep up with demand.

This is from last year but gives an idea to how popular the boots are. https://www.pressherald.com/2017/08/17/l-l-bean-unveils-new-machine-and-a-path-to-1-million-boots-a-year/

Also they are HUGE in Japan.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Hmm, I guess, people wear them here in a similar way, especially the winter versions, with leggings, thick socks, plaid shirts, and a toque.  I hadn't really thought of it as fasion, so much as sensible.

I do think though they kind of transcend fashion, they are a classic.  You could do a fashionable look, or just odd cat lady, or preparing for a flood...

It's funny though, they aren't actually warm for our climate here. Great for fall or wet weather, but my feet would freeze in them in actual winter.

DS loves them for winter boots though. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MEmama said:

It's funny though, they aren't actually warm for our climate here. Great for fall or wet weather, but my feet would freeze in them in actual winter.

DS loves them for winter boots though. 

Yes, I agree - the ones I see in winter look very similar, but are a lot warmer, for the most part anyway.  Sorels and such (the snazzy ones, not the clumpy ones.)  People seem to wear them the same way in terms of how they style them.

• Like 2

I'm fashionable and I didn't even know it??!!?? I wear brown duck shoes when the ground is wet and/or it might rain, even if it isn't ATM.

This area's weather typically falls into one of these five categories:

1. Might Rain (and/or 'Bout to Rain)
  2. Raining Some.
  3. Raining a Ton.
  4. STILL Raining!
  5. Drought.

So AFAIK, conditions 1-4 make duck shoes appropriate.

Edited by whitehawk
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bluegoat said:

Yes, I agree - the ones I see in winter look very similar, but are a lot warmer, for the most part anyway.  Sorels and such (the snazzy ones, not the clumpy ones.)  People seem to wear them the same way in terms of how they style them.

Yeah, and now they make thicker, shearling lined tall boots. I would love a pair of those!