Menu

Good series for after Harry Potter?

Innisfree

Any ideas for a good long series which would appeal to a young teen who's worn out her Harry Potter books? She has also enjoyed the Warriors books for years, but has outgrown them.

Action appeals to her more than wordiness, but she likes long, bulky books which run at least 300 pages, and series which occupy whole shelves. She wants to be able to live in her books for months at a time.

In previous ventures, I have offered up the Fablehaven series, the Wildwood Chronicles, Eragon, and probably more without sparking much interest. She did like Rick Riordan, but is getting past those also. Sadly I was never able to persuade her to really try the Susan Cooper or Lloyd Alexander books because she thought they looked too short. I think she'd love Anne McCaffrey, but the first three which are geared for younger readers are so short she'd blow right through them, and the rest are a bit too mature. So, that *sort* of thing would be good.

Animals are always a good subject, but fantasy is also. I don't think she'd embrace Tolkein, though I may try anyway. I don't think she's ready for Asimov. I'm realizing I don't know a whole world of recent books-- there must be things out there which she'd love.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Innisfree
Corrected title

How about Gregor the Overlander? Leviathan? Sabriel? Seconding Ranger's Apprentice.

If she's a teen, she's probably ready to start in on YA fantasy and dystopian series. Legend by Marie Lu is good, for example. If she likes Leviathan, Westerfeld's Uglies series is good. These are pretty clean as well. Or Leigh Bardugo's two different series, or Sabaa Tahir's Ember in the Ashes books... these are more straight fantasy plots. There's also Sarah Maas's epic series... it's... I dunno, it's a bit more grown up, but not so much more. It's still YA. There's a bit more sex mentioned in them and a lot more epic romance type plots. I wasn't able to make it through most of them. Also, all the Tamora Pierce books. There is sex in some of them, but very non-explicit. The thing I like about Pierce's young women is that if you read all the books, they all make different choices about sex and romance, each one choosing the right thing for them. Also, Kristen Cashore's Graceling books... though those might be a bit too literary. There's also a bit more sex mentioned in them.

There's a lot of fantasy I like better than the aforementioned, but she wants a big, long, plot driven, popular series, then that's a few options.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all these great ideas!

We did try Inkheart with no success, and Gregor the Overlander offended her deeply because of the negative depictions of rats (which she had as pets). :biggrin:  But Ranger's Apprentice sounds like something she'd like. I'm going to have to look up the others you've all mentioned. I enjoyed LeGuin but it's been years.

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 1