Menu

What's with the ads?

easypeasy

AP Exam EARLY Sign Up Deadlines This Year!

Maybe this has already been posted, but just in case, here's my PSA!!! Many schools are requiring FALL signs ups for the AP Examinations this year! Apparently this is part of a pilot program. Some schools' deadlines were November 2nd (had to be signed AND paid for by the 2nd), while others are making exceptions until the 15th.

We wouldn't have known except the AP Coordinator from the school we usually use emailed me on Friday. Their deadline had been the PREVIOUS Friday, but she squeezed us in and I have to go over there and pay before the 15th!

Worse, they don't offer one of the APs we need, so now I'm scrambling to find something. The one high school I found who offers AP Music Theory had a deadline of the 2nd and that coordinator says "no late add-ons." So, I've sent out about 6 reacher emails and will do more later today.

So - even if you have a "regular" school where you sign up for AP exams... check with them NOW  about their deadlines AND their offerings instead of waiting until after the New Year like we usually do! I guess some schools might still be on that after-Christmas sign up schedule, while others are signing up now? I'm not sure...

(I'd heard about this pilot program last year, but only one local school was mentioned, so I thought it wasn't far-reaching! Apparently they either added to the list, or they just didn't mention the school that we usually use in that article!)

And %#*&@% College Board for not letting us sign up for these online and them providing us with location options like they do for the SAT... 😬

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the heads up on this. Looks like the College Board may have plans to roll this out to all schools next year. (see this note). This is such a blatant  money grab to boost enrollment and fees. What rationale is there to sign up almost 6 months in advance for an exam? The current 2-3 months is sufficient for administrative purposes. Allegedly, the College Board is testing this because they believe students will be more committed to taking the test for their AP classes if they sign up early and face a financial penalty for cancelling or registering late. I suspect they just want to lock in revenues earlier and force students who are on the fence to commit now rather than to opt out later. I don't really think this will substantially change actual test results as the students themselves don't feel the financial penalty - either the schools absorb the cost or the parents pay for it.  Overall, this is a takeaway for many students as it reduces flexibility.

College Board's statement on new registration policy.

Edited by 3andme
  • Like 1

Agreed! There were one or two APs that my kids were on the fence about. Having to decide *now* vs in Feb or March (when they’d have a more solid feel for those classes and their expectations for a test...) led them to make decisions that are different than I feel they will have made later  😕

And what about kids who move midway through the school year? 

Ugh. Bureaucracy.

• Like 1

Yes, next year it will be all schools, but I guess there are lots with early signups. I was told that later might not have been too late if they still had room, but that there are hefty late fees. 

Edited by Penelope

I think this is a really dumb move that will encourage more people to switch to CLEP exams, if the colleges they want accept them.  

I think this policy will accomplish nothing other than to increase the coffers at the not-for-profit College Board. In other words, this policy will meet the College Board's unstated, but ultimate, goal.

With a March registration deadline, many students in the past were able to determine whether or not they were going to pay to sit for the AP exam based on whether or not the college they would be attending awarded AP credit for the course.  With a November registration deadline, very few kids will have received college decisions yet, making it more difficult to know whether it is worth it to pay to take the exams.  Many of these kids will err on the side of caution and have their parents pay to register for the exams just in case their eventual college of choice will award credit.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, klmama said:

I think this is a really dumb move that will encourage more people to switch to CLEP exams, if the colleges they want accept them.  

I don't think CLEP exams are on the radar of most high school students.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

I don't think CLEP exams are on the radar of most high school students.  

I think so, too.

Some school districts do pay for the AP exams. There is such a push to offer the classes and have certain numbers taking the exams as a measure of how good a school is.

I agree it seems like a money grab. They will also gain some students who might otherwise have dropped the class due to poor grades, transfer to other schools, etc. 

Oh jeez, I just saw this. I hope this does not mean we'll be shut out. Last time I did this a few years ago I didn't make any arrangements until February. My DD is a senior, so it probably matters less than if this happened earlier in her HS career, but I would still like her to have the opportunity to get credit for these classes.

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.