Menu

What to serve with these appetizers?

ThisIsTheDay

Friends are coming into town around 9:00 on Thursday night. They are coming from the west coast, so it will be 6:00 p.m. their time. As I'd assumed they would be grabbing something at the airport when changing planes, I've already purchased finger food/appetizers. Yesterday they indicated they would be very hungry and were thinking of dinner. While they don't eat huge amounts of food, I need to add something a bit more substantial to our planned food:

Cheese, sausage, and cracker tray
Shrimp cocktail
Apple slices and grapes
Mozzarella/cherry tomato/basil skewers with balsamic

I need easy ideas, not expensive or time consuming, and I don't want another item with cheese. Maybe a pasta salad? I don't want to change the meal plan, as we have other plans during their stay, and I can't reuse these items on another night. (Although I guess I could serve them for a snack kind of lunch instead . . . )

I wonder if you could serve up a super simple chili to go along with your appetizers?  A little hearty protein can go a long way, especially if they're hungry enough for a dinner.  (If it were me making it, I'd probably even go with just a veggie chili, although you could certainly add a little meat if that's more your style.)  Chili freezes pretty well so you can always freeze leftovers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J-rap said:

I wonder if you could serve up a super simple chili to go along with your appetizers?  A little hearty protein can go a long way, especially if they're hungry enough for a dinner.  (If it were me making it, I'd probably even go with just a veggie chili, although you could certainly add a little meat if that's more your style.)  Chili freezes pretty well so you can always freeze leftovers.

Thank you so much. This is a perfect idea that I never would have thought of, and I have a wonderful White Chicken Chile recipe from Giada that I've made before and will use. Your comment about freezing was also great--I can freeze any leftovers and then take to my college student!

I appreciate all of your responses. ?

• Like 3

I’d add more meats and cheeses and substitute rolls for the crackers. This way you have a hearty little sandwich bar and can use your original foods. Put out mustard, mayo, and some lettuce and tomatoes for sandwich toppings. 

If you’re on the east coast, they’ll be arriving at 6 pm their time. The flight change might not be a mealtime for them and they may just snack or get coffee then. 

They’ll be at your mercy and might not feel comfortable plundering your cabinets or going out in your area. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

If you’re on the east coast, they’ll be arriving at 6 pm their time. The flight change might not be a mealtime for them and they may just snack or get coffee then.

There may also be not enough time for an actual meal at the airport, not to mention that food prices are horrendous. I would never expect a guest to eat during a plane change.

4 minutes ago, regentrude said:

There may also be not enough time for an actual meal at the airport, not to mention that food prices are horrendous. I would never expect a guest to eat during a plane change.

Right, and you can’t count on buying food on planes anymore, necessarily.  It’s catch as catch can.  You have to figure that they might not have been able to eat since the beginning of the first flight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, regentrude said:

Yeah, there's enough time, and the prices are not a deterrent. They will not be in the airport/flying for 13 hours without food.

I am frustrated because it's my mom.

The evening plan changed several times, and we knew they would want to eat something but not too much since they will be making an adjustment to the time. We are already on a short time schedule, and then yesterday they suddenly said that they'd instead rent a car (not in the plan!) instead of borrow ours, eat dinner at a restaurant and just see us Friday morning. I completely realize that they are trying to bend over backwards to accommodate us, but we (meaning us and them) had already planned it one way.

This will be her third visit in 8 years. I cannot afford to visit her. She will be here for four days, that's the amount of time that she makes her trips. It makes me sad, because I think we have a good relationship, both with her and her husband. I just want to see her the freaking night she gets in!!!  I DON"T want them to rent a car, and I certainly don't want to have to wait until the next day to see them. So I kept quiet about the car but said, nope, you are coming to dinner, we've already PLANNED IT! (And now I'm adding to my plan!)

So it has nothing to do with expecting guests to eat at the airport. ?