Menu

Talk to me about the ER for mental health

Spryte

17 minutes ago, Ravin said:

I wanted to add my 2 bits that the doctors need those HIPPAA releases to disclose to family members, etc. about the patient, but you as a friend/family member do NOT need a HIPPAA release to share important information about the patient with the doctor!

Yes, this...my point was that the two-way conversation afterwards was much more frank, directed, and helpful. They also began to have relative FaceTime me in for rounds when I couldn't be there on some strictly medical issues so that I could raise whatever questions I had and so that I was kept on tabs as to timeline for release (which was at that point dependent on when the MRI would be free for non-emergent scans, etc.).

If she won't sign, then, yes, by all means, disclose all of the details that need to be out there....

• Like 1

I saw her tonight,  and she’s doing well.  Such a relief.

While I waited for her, I had other patients come ask me if I was waiting for her.  They all told me how much they love her, and ... it made me feel better to know so many people are looking out for her.  

She’s started two new meds, and I did talk to the SW today and will be kept in the loop re: treatment.

All in all, I feel hopeful.  ?

• Like 23

Yesterday was a harder day for her.  She was tired and had some physical issues.  She asked me not to come visit so she could sleep early last night. 

They have started her on a lot of meds, too.

I’m alternating between feeling nervous and hopeful.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TechWife said:

At some point you might want to ask your mother if she would like to complete a Psychiatric Advance Directive. Info is here:

https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Mental-Health-Public-Policy/Psychiatric-Advance-Directives-(PAD)

Thank you for that.  I will discuss it with her when she seems able.

It looks like she’s bipolar.  This answers so, so many questions about my childhood and life, I feel fairly overwhelmed.  Relieved. But for her, it comes with stigma and pain and probably shame.  She has not uttered the words to me, it’s just what I’ve gathered from talking to her team, and from her med cocktail.

• Sad 3