Menu

Co Op Classes

kwg

I taught a class for this age group based on the "Paddle to the Sea" book by Holling Clancy Holling. I found some lesson plans free on-line. It was fun and interesting and the kids seemed to really enjoy it. We carved a canoe out of soap as a project and the kids really enjoyed that!

• Like 2

I did 4-8yos.  We focused on foundational skills through literature, using well known children's books to springboard into crafts and imaginative play where they focused on fine/gross motor skills, beginning narration, community connections, and underlying themes.  Each week I'd pick a short book and build around that: Harold and the Purple Crayon, If At First You Do Not See/The Very Hungry Caterpillar, folk tales, seasonal stories..

The main thing was that each class could stand alone (so kids weren't behind if they missed), and that the skills slowly built with lots of practice.

• Like 2

Similar to Farrar -- yes, I did a terrifically fun hands-on science at that age (a grade 1-3 version, and a grade 4-6 version), but it was all pulled together by me, as I don't work well from most pre-made programs. Also similar to HomeAgain, in that each class was stand-alone, with no homework, and no worries if you missed a previous class.

Art or Science have been topics that people seem to really like to have at co-op for early elementary ages. Crafts or projects that are messy or that families don't always have time to do would also be good choices for your age range. Other ideas: group games, or choir, or an unusual topic like some of those suggested above.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My son participated in a class that was about farm animals which he really enjoyed. 

I never sat in but it seemed like they just picked a different animal each week... learned a  bit about them, read a picture book that included said animal, did a craft and maybe a game or activity too.

For cows.... they made butter from cream

i think they did chickens, pigs, sheep.... 

• Like 1

How to Teach Children Art has some good info and projects that we used when DSs were grades 1-3 ages. No experience with this book, but Paint Lab for Kids says it's geared for ages 7-10, and could help flesh out How to Teach Children Art. (And if you end up needing art project ideas for older kids (grades 3-7), Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media looks great.)

How about a learning to sew with simple sewing projects class? 

books with instruction & tips
My First Hand Sewing Book
My First Sewing Book -- hand sewing

additional project ideas
Sew Can She blog: "10 Best Sewing Projects for Kids"
Dabbles & Babbles blog: "15 Fun and Easy Sewing Projects for Kids"