Menu

GF stuffing/dressing??

HollyDay

This is the first holiday the entire family will be GF.  So......How do I make stuffing????!!!  Actually I don't stuff the turkey, I make it casserole style and serve it on the side.  But....how do I make it? And is there such a thing as GF fried onions???  Dh loves green bean casserole with those fried onions on top......

3 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

This is the first holiday the entire family will be GF.  So......How do I make stuffing????!!!  Actually I don't stuff the turkey, I make it casserole style and serve it on the side.  But....how do I make it? And is there such a thing as GF fried onions???  Dh loves green bean casserole with those fried onions on top......

Aldi has both GF stuffing and GF French Fried Onions.  Well, they will probably have the onions back shortly before thanksgiving, they were out this month.  You’ll have to make GF cream soup from scratch but that’s pretty easy.

I’ve tried a few homemade GF stuffing recipes and none of them were that good.  DH would rather have the processed stuff anyway.

• Like 2

Last year I was very successful in adapting my usual stuffing "recipe" to be gluten free. I save heals of bread, the odd hamburger bun or two, and some left over corn bread (all gluten free) in the freezer.  I don't have a real recipe as I learned to make stuffing/dressing from my mom and MIL who did not follow recipes. It is basically a mix of sale bread, onions and celery cooked until soft, seasonings, and broth. Other things may get added depending on who is going to be eating it. Then it is either stuffed in the bird or baked in a pan.

i have seen GF bread cubes/stuffing mix but I have never used it. I do not like green bean casserole, so no help there, but Progresso cream of mushroom soup is gluten free- of which I am very thankful. I have had success making my own gravy using rice flour in place of regular flour, but I also use the Pioneer brand GF gravy mixes when I want it fast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

Aldi has both GF stuffing and GF French Fried Onions.  Well, they will probably have the onions back shortly before thanksgiving, they were out this month.  You’ll have to make GF cream soup from scratch but that’s pretty easy.

I’ve tried a few homemade GF stuffing recipes and none of them were that good.  DH would rather have the processed stuff anyway.

I did find GF cream of mushroom soup

26 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

The one I linked doesn’t contain rice. It’s just riced cauliflower. 

Crazy enough - I am allergic to broccoli and cauliflower! I spend so long reading labels at the grocery store these days. I do love stuffing, but I bet it will be in my past along with ice cream, pizza, and so many other treats. 

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, HollyDay said:

I did find GF cream of mushroom soup

If it’s the Gluten Free Cafe or something brand, it was very thin/watery when I used it several years ago and had an odd taste to me.  Even accounting for it not being condensed, I couldn’t get it to work in a casserole.  But maybe it’s gotten better over the past few years!  Or there are more brands available now.  I usually just whip up a homemade cream of chicken condensed soup and use that since I’m the only mushroom lover of the family anyway.

Our local Aldi carries the GF Fried Onions year round.

The nearest SuperTarget has a GF stuffing mix, Aleias Savory Stuffing. It's made with rice flour, tapioca flour, & potato flour. I haven't made it yet so I don't know how it will taste.

The local Hy-vee also has a great condensed GF Cream of Mushroom soup: Pacific Natural Foods Organic Cream of Mushroom. The soup is thick and tastes great.

Edited by The Accidental Coach

How about a simple cornbread dressing?   You can make the cornbread with cornmeal and buttermilk.   I make the cornbread the day before, and crumble with sage, celery, and onions the next day.  Then I add chicken broth to cover it and bake in the oven.  

Edited by Starfish
  • Like 1

We made green bean casserole with the Pacific Foods Organic Cream of Mushroom soup listed above and GF french fried onions that I found in our local supermarket, Stop and Shop. They were the store brand and they seem to have them year-round. It was pretty good, not quite the same but pretty close. I had found some kind of GF stuffing mix last year, don't remember the brand, but it wasn't that great. I probably should have tried to doctor it up, maybe add some sausage or something. Most supermarkets around here have fairly large GF sections, so I see various stuffing mixes year-round, not just during the holidays. I had thought of making my own, but the only way I eat GF bread is toasted with jam maybe twice a month, otherwise I'm not really a fan.