Menu

-

alisoncooks

FWIW, my early teen does this, too. And she is very definitely NOT tone deaf-when she actually sings in her natural range, with a light tone, she has good pitch focus. But when she sings along with the music she likes...ugh. I figure I just need to deal with it and that eventually she’ll realize she’s more church choir than pop diva. 

My advice is to make sure the windows are rolled up if you're at a stoplight.  :)

My father was completely tone deaf (and oblivious).  He would sing loudly and with great joy while my sister and I cringed in the back seat.  Seatbelts weren't a thing yet, so my sister and I used to hide on the floor whenever we were at a stoplight.  Oh, such good memories.

I still hate the song "How Much is That Doggie in the Window"...

• Haha 2

Send her to singing lessons.  And practice does make better.  When I met my dh, he had never been in a choir and hadn't sung very much at all.  He actually sings well now.  We had all three kids in choirs at different points and they all sing fine too. 

Sound affects me very much and I have such a hard time listening to out of tune music.  It is like scratching blackboards for me. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

This is my problem!  Listening to them is almost painful. 

We can't afford singing lessons. I was hoping that someone knew an affordable, at-home option. (Like Hoffman piano...but for voice.)

Years and years ago there was an inexpensive program called “Singing Made Easy.” I used to play that cassette in the car. I have no idea if there is any such program anymore or if it would help. But I bought it long ago because I am very sensitive to discordant sounds and I was hoping my kids would sing decently well. Dh is very tone deaf. I cannot stay in the room if he sings. 

I took choir in middle school. The teacher was very emphatic with my mom that my grade was based on effort and not on ability. I loved to sing. I have no talent or ability. I liked to volunteer for choirs in my different summer camps & activities because they were co-ed when most of everything else was not. More than once, I was called out for being in the wrong section (soprano when I clearly wasn't or not soprano when I clearly was -- mostly, I was confused) or singing off-tune.

I try not to sing loudly now nut sometimes I forget how badly I sound and just enjoy belting things out. My kids endure me singing along in the car with a lot of grace. Perhaps they don't know any differently.

I have one just like me. I might have to pay for some voice lessons at some point because he clearly loves to sing as I (used to) do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alisoncooks said:

This is my problem!  Listening to them is almost painful. 

We can't afford singing lessons. I was hoping that someone knew an affordable, at-home option. (Like Hoffman piano...but for voice.)

There is a sol fa thing around but they are only on the first cou