Menu

Kids craft sale idea - help please

SamanthaCarter

Our co-op is sponsoring a craft sale for the kiddos to sell homemade food and craft items. My kids would like to put together gingerbread house kits. Each kit would be boxed as six homemade gingerbread house pieces, a ziplock of royal icing, several little disposable snack containers of decorations, and instructions. Would you buy this?  How much do you think you’d pay? We think $10 would make it worth our while....

I wouldn't buy it.  You can get the kits at Walmart for that price. 

I also buy them on sale after christmas and just store them for next year.  Each kid gets to do their own or more than one, for the cost of one kit.

The kids handling it wouldn't bother me though, because I don't let my kids eat any of the candy.  Mean mom. 

figure out what your costs would be for that first.   $10 is about/close to the going rate to buy one at the craft store/costco.  I would be more comfortable buying one from a store as I know what I'd be getting.

However:

I do like buying things I can't just go buy in any store.  usually they're small and make great gifts for others so I'm buying several.

I've seen sleighs made from candy canes - a small pkg to use as a base, chocolate santa, and other chocolate pieces as the load.  pinterest has a bunch of versions.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/421086633893994510/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/211528513728128254/?lp=true

96915382d87b2f9186259925aea03b95.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/136022851223141788/

I was one place where they had "hot cocoa" ice cream cones.   the hot chocolate mix was in a cone shaped bag, with one on top of marshmallows and sprinkles/white chocolate chips.

here's a link:https://lifeatthezoo.com/simple-school-fair-fundraising-ideas-cocoa-in-a-cup/

I would keep the cocoa powder separate, and a third bag for the whole thing.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

I wouldn't buy the gingerbread kit. There is very little I'd buy from a kid's craft fair for more than a couple of bucks, honestly. $1 is my limit for buying just to make a kid feel good, lol. 

The Hershey bar thing gardenmom5 posted is quite cute and I'd pay a couple of bucks for that. That's the kind of thing you need to look for, I think. There will be tons of ideas on Pinterest. Cheap and cute or cutely packaged is what you want. 

Soap making is fun and usually sells pretty well. 

Some kids at a fair we were at made different kinds of slime and sold out FAST. 

I think you mostly have to let go of the idea of making it worth your while, lol. It's either a fun thing they want to do or not. 

• Like 3

I would not spend $10 on a gingerbread kit on a kid craft bazar. That's what they go for in the store. 

A few ideas:  crocheted washcloths, homemade candles or soap, recycled crayon markers (rainbow colors?), home made paper, greeting cards, woodworking projects (coasters, cutting boards, bird house)

Preferably something that is used up, nothing ornamental.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I would not spend $10 on a gingerbread kit on a kid craft bazar. That's what they go for in the store. 

A few ideas:  crocheted washcloths, homemade candles or soap, recycled crayon markers (rainbow colors?), home made paper, greeting cards, woodworking projects (coasters, cutting boards, bird house)

Preferably something that is used up, nothing ornamental.

Homemade soaps would be easy.  Melt the clear soap bar from Michael's, add a drop or two of scent and color.  Then pour it into plastic shapes to harden.  My kids enjoyed that.  

One year I had my kids each make something to sell and attend several craft shows to sell their item.  The marshmallow shooter guns were much easier and cost effective than the Jacob's ladder toys, and they sold better.  I think he sold them for $10 back then??  You're just cutting some PVC pipes and putting them together with joints.  They have instructions online.

• Like 1

Years ago I did craft fairs and learned that people are really free with a dollar or two at these events.  At one show some sold Teenage Mutant Ninja masks for a dollar.  All she did was cut roughly 3inch strips out of symphony broadcloth (really cheap) with pinking shears and add eye holes.  She sold sooooo many.  How about reindeer food packaged cutely with a bit of glitter?

• Like 2

I'd buy the beehive soap, gingerbread scrub, and the giant dipped marshmallows, maybe the reindeer treats, too. I also like the pic Gardenmom posted with the Hershey bar decorated as something else. 

I probably wouldn't buy a hand drawn trading card game as my girls are super artsy themselves and/or they wouldn't be interested.

Good luck with your sale!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SamanthaCarter said:

I would possibly buy: beehive soap, map magnets, dipped marshmallows (I would prefer small ones on lollipop sticks), and maybe a build a snowman.

• Thanks 1

I'd buy the snowman or possibly the map magnets.  You can use any paper you want for the magnets.  Maybe tailor them more to your customers/community?

The pine cones look very labor and time intensive...

If your ds likes to draw, how about shrink plastic ornaments?  https://whatthecraft.com/how-to-make-christmas-ornament-charms-with-sharpies-and-shrink-plastic/

Another idea: http://thebroodinghen.blogspot.com/2010/06/tiny-bow-arrow.html

My kids sell giant rice krispie treats on a stick that have been half-dipped in candy melts with sprinkles at our neighborhood garage sale every year.  They make other treats, too, but the rice krispies are most popular and always sell out early.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to come back and thank every one of you for your ideas and input. We ended up doing the marshmallows, nutter-butter rudolf pops, and map magnets. All were fun to make, and the marshmallows were a slam dunk. All 46 they made were sold. People thought the other things were adorable, but they didn’t do quite as well. 

• Like 5