Menu

Book a Week 2018 -BW 41: 52 Books Bingo - exploring the 14th Century

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-one in our Open Roads Reading Adventure. Greetings to all our readers and everyone following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

One of our 52 Book's Bingo categories is the 14th Century which ran from 1301 to 1400. Read a book written by an 14th century author, set in the 14th century, or about the 14th century.

During the 14th century, the pope transferred to Avignon, France, Edward III became King of England, then claimed the French Throne, the Hundred Years War began, the Scottish won the second war of Independence against England, the Black Plague was rampant in Europe and the Renaissance began.

Poetry flourished during this time period with the father of English poetry, Geoffrey Chaucer, as well as Persian mystical poet Hafez, Hindu poet Vidyapati, and Christian poet Saint Catherine of Sienna. 14th Century women writers also included Christine de PizanChristine EbnerMarguerite Porete and Julian of Norwich.  We had the rise of the alliterative verse in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, along with Pearl, Purity and Patience. Plus allegorical literature in William Langland's Piers Plowman, Chaucer's Canterbury Tales as well as Dante's Divine Comedy. 

Peruse Historical Novels 14th and 15th Century stories ranging from mysteries to the black plague as well as Bookriot's 100 Must Read Medieval Historical Novels which highlights several 14th century stories including Hangman's Blind by Cassandra Clark, currently on my virtual nightstand. Plus check out Goodreads Best Books of the 14th Century as well as Popular 14th Century stories.

Have fun exploring the 14th century!

Brit Tripping

Our Brit Trip this week is taking us to Spooky London. It is a Book a Week tradition to celebrate all things Spooky in October! Join us as we explore the dark and mysterious side of London. 

Rabbit trails: Jack the RipperSherlock Holmes, Bram Stoker138 PiccadillyMore Bram Stoker Haunted LondonUnusual Museums

Kristin Lavransdatter Readalong

Book two – The Wife Part II – Husaby  Chapters 1-  8 (158)

What are you reading this week?

Link to Week 40

• Like 7

Robin, I just went and looked at my Bingo card and Hanman’s Blind was my 14th Century Book.  It’s a really good book that takes some extra effort to like,  I abandoned it once because the first couple of chapters are boring.

We are finally in Spooky London!  I reorganized the routes so many times trying to go through London in October!  There are some great spooky books set in London (at least in part) beyond the obvious Dr, Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and my favorite Dracula, books from Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series and VE Schwab’s Darker Shade of Magic series definitely fit the spooky description!  I have been busy lining up more books than I can possibly read this week and have Dracul by Dacre Stoker, Will Starling by Ian Weir, and Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler, all on my Kindle.  Hopefully I will also be listening to the next Rivers of London sometime this week too!  

I am assuming Dracul will end up in London at some point.....the description says Dublin and Paris.  I also found an odd spooky just for October,  Plain Fear by Leanna Ellis.  This may be more horror than I can handle but it has Amish Vampires. ?  I could not resist checking it out!

I haven’t been getting much accomplished because I caught a cold to go with my jet lag.  I have been reading very fluffy books because I was abandoning books with well, great abandon.  I wasn’t going to have any left in the stack!  I think all the cold medicines have me really foggy.  

Robin,  notice I won’t be watching the Doctor tonight and let us know what you think of it!  The C’s think they just want to binge watch this series on I Player later.

• Like 10

I read Israel and the Palestinian Nightmare - 5 Stars - If you wish to understand the truth behind the Arab-Israeli conflict, I highly recommend this book. As with all books like this, those who need to read it the most won’t. For me, it was both an eye-opener and frustrating. 

I’ve had the bounty of visiting Israel four times and love that country. As much as I love it, I cannot stand anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism. To me, there is a very fine line between the two. 

Many years ago, while in college, I remember a biased college professor (surprise!) who was anti-Israel and one of my friends reminded her that if Israel called a ceasefire today, and said that it would no longer fight, it would be destroyed immediately. If, on the other hand, the Arabs declared a ceasefire and said they would no longer fight, there would be peace. That’s quite a difference. 

Here are just some of my favorite quotes – there are many. I’m only listing a few here. If anyone’s interested in seeing more, you can visit my review on Good Reads

“I believe that it is impossible to understand the current situation in the Middle East if one thinks that there is a territorial Arab-Israeli conflict at hand, when in fact, it is clearly a war of religions that unfortunately has no end in sight. To think that this conflict is about land, occupation, racism, apartheid or any other nonsensical media-based and politically created jargon is to play into the hands of those who for so long have taken advantage of the prevalent ignorance of the majority of the world’s public. Make no mistake, this conflict is a religious one, and although Israel is a secular state, it is its ‘Jewish character’ that has the Muslim world up in arms.”

“The ‘atrocities’ that are occurring or are alleged to have occurred in Israel are overshadowed by the myriads of killings of innocents in Syria, Somalia, Rwanda, Sudan, Egypt, Afghanistan and Iraq to name a few. So what makes this particular conflict so outstanding? The most logical explanation is that the Arab-Israeli conflict is not about land, occupation, politics, or a dispute over historical legitimacy and ownership of a tiny corner of real estate -especially one that lays within a sea of sand and has virtually no natural resources. This conflict is rooted in a much more encompassing issue: it is the battle between Islam and Judaism. Judaism and Islam are indeed at odds.” 

“There are 56 countries have a Muslim majority, dozens that have a Christian majority, and even four nations that have a Hindu majority; there is only one country that has a Jewish majority and although Israel is only the size of New Jersey, it seems that one country is apparently one country too many for the world to bear. The rejection of a Jewish state is at the center of the most intensely monitored conflict in the world. Many believe that this volatility could spark the next world war."

“One of the great problems with Americans is that - being a decent people - they assume that everyone else is equally decent.” Rabbi Meir Kahane

9781490904351.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM
5 Stars
The book is fantastic. It’s not perfect, since no book is, but it’s definitely a favorite of mine. 
4 Stars
Really Good
3 Stars
Enjoyable 
2 Stars
Just Okay – nothing to write home about
1 Star
Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 8

Good morning!

I'm all caught up with KL and might even be a little ahead. Does anyone else have  a crush on Lavrans? ? I'm finding so much more in this reading than I remember and I'm loving it. Kristin really is a bit of a mess when it comes to Erlend (he's such a flake, he makes me nuts) but she shines in other areas of her life. I'm not sure where everyone else is in the book so I'm trying not to say too much. What do y'all think so far? 

I started reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (J.K.Rowling) and am really liking it. 

I love your post Negin. Israel is a fascinating country.

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 10

I enjoyed browsing through The Art of Creative Watercolor: Inspiration and Techniques for Imaginative Drawing and Painting  by Danielle Donaldson as I'm looking for inspiration in advance of my monthly art gathering tomorrow.

"The world of Danielle Donaldson is as wondrous as a jar full of fireflies. Her whimsical illustrations are known for their offbeat color combinations, artful arrangements and endearing quirkiness. In this book, you'll learn how to partner with the wonderfully spontaneous medium of watercolor to create your own brand of magic.

Start by creating a handmade journal, then follow exercises and start-to-finish projects to fill it with illustrations that are small in size but big on color. Along the way, Danielle shares her fresh takes on color theory, perspective, composition and more.

Designed to get your brush moving, this book makes practice feel like play. It's a one-of-a-kind journey for any artist wishing to tap into the utter joy of watercolor painting and make it a cherished part of your daily life."

I also read and enjoyed   Mating the Huntress: An Interracial Romance  by Talia Hibbert which is a contemporary paranormal romance with an amusing tone. (Adult content)  

Here's a scene  in which the hero and heroine (a werewolf hunter) are discussing his werewolf nature:  

She stiffened, refusing to move–and he certainly wasn’t going to drag her. “Who,” she gritted out, “did you eat?”

He sighed. “A few rapists. It was a long time ago. We all make mistakes, etcetera, etcetera. Okay?”

“Why did you have to eat them?” she demanded, though she didn’t exactly look horrified. And she wasn’t pushing him away, either.

“I didn’t eat them so much as enthusiastically kill them with my mouth. Subtle distinction. Can we talk about this later?”

"This Halloween, love bites back… hard.

Chastity Adofo knows a monster when she sees one. As soon as Luke Anthony wanders into her family’s coffee shop, she recognises the evil lurking beneath his charming smile and fantastic arse. The handsome werewolf is determined to have her—but she’s determined to cut out his heart.

Little does she know, Luke’s plans for her are far more pleasurable than murder. And when the full moon rises, all bets are off…"

I recently finished Bones (Gothika Book 2)  which is an anthology of works by Kim Fielding, Eli Easton, Jamie Fessenden and B.G. Thomas.  All four stories deal with voodoo, and I actually feel like I learned a bit about a religion of which I knew little.  That said, I don't think I'll be in a rush to re-read this. (Adult content)

"Vodou. Obeah. Santeria. These religions seem mysterious and dark to the uninitiated, but the truth is often very different. Still, while they hold the potential for great power, they can be dangerous to those who don’t take appropriate precautions. Interfering with the spirits is best left to those who know what they’re doing, for when the proper respect isn’t shown, trouble can follow. In these four novellas, steamy nights of possession and exotic ritual will trigger forbidden passion and love. You cannot hide your desires from the loa, or from the maddening spell of the drums. Four acclaimed m/m authors imagine homoerotic love under the spell of Voodoo."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 9

Hello fellow readers!  I haven't been here in a week or two.  I wound up reading all 4 of the Miss Buncle novels.  They were just the pleasant escape I needed.  Now I think I'm moving on to other things.  Still listening to the audio version of Brunelleschi's Dome which is fascinating but also technical so maybe not the best book to listen to while driving.  I keep wishing I had pictures to look at when the author describes various Renaissance style building machines.  Also the reader has such a dry, British accent he sounds condescending all the time, like he's looking down his nose at those silly people who built this incredible cathedral dome without benefit of motor or electricity.   Some times this annoys me so much it makes it hard for me to listen to him for long periods.

I started reading Children of Monsters; An Inquiry into the Sons and Daughters of Dictators.  It is holding my interest even though I am getting names mixed up.  The author writes in a breezy, informal style which belies the nightmarish subject matter.  It's weird.    A few weeks ago when I was feeling depressed about the state of the world, I would not have been able to handle it, but now I've moved into a more philosophical "what is this perverting lust for power anyway" phase.  

And I just decided today that I was finally going to read Dracula!  Last year I finally read Frankenstein.  I had tried to read it a couple times before and could never get into it, but for some reason last year it clicked and I found it absolutely brilliant!  

• Like 10

Some bookish posts ~ 

Five Books About Girls Who Don’t Care If You Like Them Or Not  by Claire Legrand

Women Who Save Themselves (and Everyone Else)  by James Davis Nicoll's  

and a thought provoking post:   How Writing Fantasy Prepared Me for Dementia Care   by N.S. Dolkart

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 9

I finished 3 books this week.

Nine Women, One Dress was a fluffy light read following a dress through the stories of 9 women who wore it.   Very modern setting, fashion week, etc.

The Train to Crystal City was a non-fiction book about an internment camp in Texas during World War II.  We've all heard about the Japanese-American internment camps.   This was something I hadn't heard about before.  German, Japanese and Italian legal aliens were rounded up and sent to this camp, so that the government could "trade" them for American citizens living in Germany, Japan and Italy during the war.  They would give the families the "option" of repatriating back to their home country.  The book followed 3 families.   A German and Japanese family, who went back to Germany and Japan with no jobs/house/life, and found horrible post war conditions, and were treated as American spies.  They thought conditions were bad in the American internment camp, but honestly they were getting fed well and treated well overall.   Of course things were absolutely nightmarish back in Germany or Japan, and they had no idea what they were getting into.  The third family was a Jewish family who were literally able to get out of concentration camp in Germany, because they had passports and the Germans needed a few more people to "trade" with the Americans.

It was a bizarre story.   The whole situation was complicated, and not always straight forward, but very much gray.   It also wasn't the most cohesively written book at times.

I also finished The Gilded Years, which was fiction but based on a true story about a woman who "passed" as white in 1897 and graduated from Vassar College.   The book was fine, but what was interesting was thinking through all the logistics of what the main character had to go through.    Not letting her parents visit the school, being careful not to share her history or where she lived, things like that.   You absolutely could not hide your identity like that today with the internet.    It was an interesting idea for a novel, for sure.

Right now I am reading a book of short stories by Tom Hanks called Uncommon Type and the thriller I Let You Go.    I am also listening to Be Frank With Me. 

• Like 10

I haven't participated in one of these threads in so long, but have read a few books in past weeks:

Dirty Chick: adventures of an unlikely farmer (Murphy) was hilarious and touching.
The Alchemist (Coehlo) was mystical and satisfying.
I just finished Rush Home Road (Lansens), and can't wait to discuss with my bookclub.

Also read a YA title, The Crossover (Alexander), which was fantastic! Rave review for that one.

Currently reading historical fiction, In the Hands of the Living God (Bouzane), an account of John Cabot's wife through letters and diary entries. Very much appreciating a slice of 1400s Venice in small doses.

• Like 10

Finished three books this week: 

98. Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras - finally finished and really liked this story told from a child's point of view about Argentina in the '70's as his family goes into hiding trying to avoid being among the disappeared.  4.5 stars.

99. There There by Tommy Orange (ebook) - well told story about Native Americans in modern-day Oakland.  I have to say that I'm finding it really depressing that it seems that in all the modern Native American literature I've read it seems not just some but virtually all the characters suffer from abuse, abandonment, and alcohol/drug addiction - usually all three at once.    3.5 stars.

100. Sunshine by Robin McKinley (ebook) - meanwhile, in escapist spooky land, there be vampires. Very enjoyable. I realized I have read some other McKinley (Hero/ CrownBlue Sword, Deerskin) - this is my second favorite so far after Beauty. 4 stars.

Currently reading:

- Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright (audiobook) - still really liking this.

- The Wife (Kristin Lavransdatter #2) by Sigrid Undset - got through the first third/part of this one.  Erlend really is an ass.

- Porgy by DuBose Heyward - going to watch a video of Porgy and Bess when done...

- Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold - For my SciFi book club. More fun escapism, need some of that to balance things out!

• Like 10

Thanks for another good thread, Robin. The 14th century was the best century for literature. Boccaccio's Decameron was written then, too. And if anyone feels a hankering for the high middle ages with Piers Plowman, it's Worcestershire's literary pride, useful for next week's BritTrip.

I finished three books this week: Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited (Wiltshire); Casting the Runes & Other Ghost Stories by M. R. James (Spooky London) and Othello (again) for homeschooling discussion.

From Brideshead Revisited, the scene where the priest in charge of instructing the hapless Rex Mottram, who's converting to marry Julia Flyte, learns that Rex's fiancée's little sister, Cordelia, has been helping out:

‘Lady Marchmain,’ he said. ‘You should have chosen one of the younger fathers for this task. I shall be dead long before Rex is a Catholic.’

‘Oh dear, I thought it was going so well.’

‘It was, in a sense. He was exceptionally docile, said he accepted everything I told him, remembered bits of it, asked no questions. I wasn’t happy about him. He seemed to have no sense of reality, but I knew he was coming under a steady Catholic influence, so I was willing to receive him. One has to take a chance sometimes - with semi-imbeciles, for instance. You never know quite how much they have understood. As long as you know there’s someone to keep an eye on them, you do take the chance.’

‘How I wish Rex could hear this!’ said Cordelia.

‘But yesterday I got a regular eye-opener. The trouble with modern education is you never know how ignorant people are. With anyone over fifty you can be fairly confident what’s been taught and what’s been left out. But these young people have such an intelligent, knowledgeable surface, and then the crust suddenly breaks and you look down into the depths of confusion you didn’t know existed. Take yesterday. He seemed to be doing very well. He learned large bits of the catechism by heart, and the Lord’s Prayer, and the Hail Mary. Then I asked him as usual if there was anything troubling him, and he looked at me in a crafty way and said, “Look, Father, I don’t think you’re being straight with me. I want to join your Church and I'm going to join your Church, but you’re holding too much back.” I asked what he meant, and he said: “I’ve had a long talk with a Catholic - a very pious, well-educated one, and I've learned a thing or two. For instance, that you have to sleep with your feet pointing east because that’s the direction of heaven, and if you die in the night you can walk there. Now I'll sleep with my feet pointing any way that suits Julia, but d’you expect a grown man to believe about walking to heaven? And what about the Pope who made one of his horses a Cardinal? And what about the box you keep in the church porch, and if you put in a pound note with someone’s name on it, they get sent to hell? I don’t say there mayn’t be a good reason for all this,” he said, "but you ought to tell me about it and not let me find out for myself.’”

'What can the poor man have meant?’ said Lady Marchmain.

‘You see he’s a long way from the Church yet,’ said Father Mowbray.

‘But who can he have been talking to? Did he dream it all? Cordelia, what’s the matter?’

‘What a chump! Oh, mummy, what a glorious chump!’

‘Cordelia, it was you!’

‘Oh, mummy, who could have dreamed he’d swallow it? I told him such a lot besides. About the sacred monkeys in the Vatican - all kinds of things.’

‘Well, you’ve very considerably increased my work,' said Father Mowbray.

‘Poor Rex,’ said Lady Marchmain. ‘You know, I think it makes him rather lovable. You must treat him like an idiot child, Father Mowbray.’ So the instruction was continued, and Father Mowbray at length consented to receive Rex a week before his wedding.

This week: continuing The Glory of the Empire, plus some W. H. Auden, and, if efficient, Adam Bede.

• Like 7

I put Kristin Lavransdatter aside this week after getting through that first part of The Wife. I'm not feeling very motivated to pick it back up. Erland is indeed a putz! 

Instead I power-listened to Lethal White, the 4th Cormoran Strike book by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). It is.... hard to rate. For the most part it really is a fun, thumping good read. The woman can tell a good story. But, I want a mystery and not a romance novel, and the whole relationship between the protagonist, Cormoran, and his partner, Robin, is extremely annoying. So annoying that a few times I put the book down (well, it was an audio book, so ear-buds and iPhone) and walked away. I think the series would be SO much better without Robin who just isn't a very well fleshed out character, just an insecure female whose identity and self worth is defined by the men around her. And I would rant on more, but I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't yet read it.

Up next is the memoir, Famous Father Girl by Leornard Bernstein's daughter, Jamie Bernstein. A musician friend and frequent carpool and pit orchestra buddy lent it to me. 

•  
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I read a book this week suggested by another special needs mom.  Super touching story and a great read for those wanting to understand more about autism, kids from foster care, trauma, etc.  Easy read but powerful.  Ginny Moon

http://benjaminludwig.com/book/ginny-moon/synopsis/

Ginny Moon does indeed sound fascinating; thanks for mentioning it.

I just finished a memoir dealing with autism; it too was a relatively easy read ~  Bad Animals: A Father's Accidental Education in Autism  by Joel Yanofsky

"Honest, heartfelt, and often candidly funny, this account of a year in the life of a family describes the struggle of a father, a lifelong book-loving obsessive, to enter and understand his son’s world—the world of autism—using the materials he knows best: self-help books, feel-good memoirs, literary classics from the Bible to Dr. Seuss, old movies, and a stubborn sense of humor. Bad Animals is an exploration of a baffling condition, a memoir of self-discovery enlivened by a self-deprecating wit, and a quirky love story told by a gifted writer."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 7

The Glory of the Empire, interestingly weird as it is, has been abandoned as more suited to dh's reading tastes than to mine. It was my second Truly Randomly Chosen book this year, and has been replaced by Also Truly Random book The Custom of the Country. (Actually it took four attempts: the first three were 1. W. H. Auden's lectures on Shakespeare, which can't really be read at one go: 2. A book of Titian prints; 3. Orlando Furioso, which is 1400 pages and I read it a few years ago. So Mostly Truly Randomly Chosen.)

• Like 7

If I want to finish my Bingo card, I need to start focusing on it. By the end of this week, it looks like I will have six books to go.

This week, I am reading The Changeling by Victor LaValle. It's OK. The major reviewers (Guardian, NPR, NYT) found it to have more literary merit than I am noticing, lol. At least it counts as both a Spooky October read and a Bingo read (mystery).

I have Food Is the Solution: What to Eat to Save the World as my Foodie Book for bingo.I read a bit of it whenever I am eating. Part one exposes the ills of factory farming and part two is a vegan cookbook. There are some good recipes, but too many of them use fake meat (which I do not eat). I eat mostly vegan food, but I am not a vegan. 

• Like 8

If you're in the mood for a book about people doing kind things for strangers, I'll recommend a book that I finished today.

Jim DeFede's  The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland

"When 38 jetliners bound for the United States were forced to land at Gander International Airport in Canada by the closing of U.S. airspace on September 11, the population of this small town on Newfoundland Island swelled from 10,300 to nearly 17,000. The citizens of Gander met the stranded passengers with an overwhelming display of friendship and goodwill.

As the passengers stepped from the airplanes, exhausted, hungry and distraught after being held on board for nearly 24 hours while security checked all of the baggage, they were greeted with a feast prepared by the townspeople. Local bus drivers who had been on strike came off the picket lines to transport the passengers to the various shelters set up in local schools and churches. Linens and toiletries were bought and donated. A middle school provided showers, as well as access to computers, email, and televisions, allowing the passengers to stay in touch with family and follow the news.

Over the course of those four days, many of the passengers developed friendships with Gander residents that they expect to last a lifetime. As a show of thanks, scholarship funds for the children of Gander have been formed and donations have been made to provide new computers for the schools. This book recounts the inspiring story of the residents of Gander, Canada, whose acts of kindness have touched the lives of thousands of people and been an example of humanity and goodwill."

I also finished a contemporary romance that I enjoyed.  What's novel about this romance is that the heroine is a minister, and the author is herself a minister.  That said be aware that this book definitely has adult content.

Not A Mistake (Hot Under Her Collar Book 1)  by Amber Belldene

"Sometimes a scandal isn't a sin...

On the night she graduates from seminary, Jordan Sykes finds herself in bed with Dominic Lawrence, the ethics professor she’s crushed on for years. Two months later, she discovers she’s pregnant and is determined to hide it to protect his career. Maybe, if she loves her new church like hell, they won’t fire her for being a single mother.

Dominic knows the difference between right and wrong, and he’s filled with remorse after sleeping with his favorite student. He’s offered the job of his dreams, but he'd be a hypocrite to accept without making things right with Jordan first.

Dominic proposes marriage to save their careers, never expecting they will prove a perfect—and passionate—match. But can Jordan give her heart to a man who still believes the first night they spent together was a mistake?"

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 7

On 10/7/2018 at 9:26 PM, JennW in SoCal said:

I put Kristin Lavransdatter aside this week after getting through that first part of The Wife. I'm not feeling very motivated to pick it back up. Erland is indeed a putz! 

Instead I power-listened to Lethal White, the 4th Cormoran Strike book by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). It is.... hard to rate. For the most part it really is a fun, thumping good read. The woman can tell a good story. But, I want a mystery and not a romance novel, and the whole relationship between the protagonist, Cormoran, and his partner, Robin, is extremely annoying. So annoying that a few times I put the book down (well, it was an audio book, so ear-buds and iPhone) and walked away. I think the series would be SO much better without Robin who just isn't a very well fleshed out character, just an insecure female whose identity and self worth is defined by the men around her. And I would rant on more, but I don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't yet read it.

Up next is the memoir, Famous Father Girl by Leornard Bernstein's daughter, Jamie Bernstein. A musician friend and frequent carpool and pit orchestra buddy lent it to me. 

•  

I am now reading the huge translation of KL.  I do think it reads smoother but as it’s the physical copy I am happily sip reading a few of the small sections most mornings and am enjoying it.  Not quite done with section 1 of the second book.  Erland is so unworthy......I like Kristin again.

I finished a quick quite good romance with an N in it to finish spelling Egyptian Lotus.......

E....What Ales the Earl.......by Sally MacKenzie

G....Sophie’s World.......by Jostein Gaarder

Y......You Say It First .....by Susan Mallery

P......Cry Wolf......by Patricia  Briggs

T......A Duty to the Dead......by Charles Todd

I ......The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries .....by Emily Brightwell

A......Before and Again......by Barbara Delinsky

N......About That Night......by Julie James

L.....The Mischief and the Misletoe .....by Lauren Willig

O....Shadow Hunt ....by Melissa F. Olson 

T.....The Governess Game.....by Tessa Dare

U.....Unnatural Selection.....by Aaron Elkins

S.... Exposed in Darkness....by Heather Sunseri

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some bookish posts ~

Tor.com’s eBook of the Month Club

https://ebookclub.tor.com/

"The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle

People move to New York looking for magic and nothing will convince them it isn’t there.

Charles Thomas Tester hustles to put food on the table, keep the roof over his father’s head, from Harlem to Flushing Meadows to Red Hook. He knows what magic a suit can cast, the invisibility a guitar case can provide, and the curse written on his skin that attracts the eye of wealthy white folks and their cops. But when he delivers an occult tome to a reclusive sorceress in the heart of Queens, Tom opens a door to a deeper realm of magic, and earns the attention of things best left sleeping.

A storm that might swallow the world is building in Brooklyn. Will Black Tom live to see it break?

One of NPR’s Best Books of 2016, winner of the Shirley Jackson Award, the British Fantasy Award, the This is Horror Award for Novella of the Year, and a finalist for the Hugo, Nebula, Locus, World Fantasy, and Bram Stoker Awards.

Available from October 9th to October 13th. Download before 11:59 PM ET October 12th, 2018.

This offer is only available in the US and Canada. We apologize for the geographic restriction, unfortunately it is required for various legal reasons."

50 Must-Read Nonfiction Audiobooks  by Rebecca Hussey

10 Great Audiobooks in Translation  by Sarah Ullery

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

On 10/7/2018 at 11:36 AM, mumto2 said:

Robin, I just went and looked at my Bingo card and Hanman’s Blind was my 14th Century Book.  It’s a really good book that takes some extra effort to like,  I abandoned it once because the first couple of chapters are boring.

Robin,  notice I won’t be watching the Doctor tonight and let us know what you think of it!  The C’s think they just want to binge watch this series on I Player later.

Thanks for the heads up on Hangman's Blind.  Dr Who was great. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whitaker did a wonderful job as The Doctor. 

Not getting much personal reading done but am making great progress with my latest WIP.  James and I are still reading The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.  I'm not enjoying it too much. The main character is just way too naive and blind to everything going on around him.  The Boy on the Wooden Box was so much better.

In my internet meanderings 

2018 NATIONAL BOOK AWARD FINALISTS ANNOUNCED

Shortlist for the Austrian Book Prize

10 famous authors and their cats

For our crafty ladies - Fall Patterns - Stuff You Should be Stitching

Tor's Women's sci fi writers of the 80's

Wheel of Time picked up by Amazon - I'm interested to see how they tell the story. The first season will focus on Moraine.

• Like 7

@Negin - Your post on Israel was super interesting and informative. Thanks!

@Robin M - My people are waiting until this weekend for Who! I'm so far behind (still on Matt Smith ... what do I do with my time?!?!) that I won't watch until I'm caught up. At this rate they'll have to cancel the show for another ten years so I can catch up. 

@Violet Crown - Currently on my nightstand is Morte D'Urban. I started it awhile ago and then it disappeared. (There are a number of suspect but nobody confessed. I do have a clue though. It was found when I dumped out all of John's trains looking for a specific connector piece. He was likely framed. I suspect DD was cleaning the basement and everything she could get her hands on when into the train box out of convenience.) I'm really enjoying it! Thanks for recommendation.

@mumto2 - Hope you get feeling better soon!

@Faithr - Ah the Miss Buncle books! Yes. So charming and perfect for when you just need something pleasant. 

@Zebra - Your internment camp book review has sent me down a rabbit trail of internet research. I. HAD. NO. IDEA. I'm decently educated and yet there's so much of our recent history that I didn't know about. 

• Like 8

I'm trying to decide on Spooky London... there are so many good options for London and Spooky. Even for a wimp like me that considers anything "stronger" than Agatha Christie spooky. Likely I'm going to go with whatever shows up first at the library tomorrow. 

• Like 7

On 10/5/2018 at 8:21 PM, texasmom33 said:

I have been MIA a bit from the BaW threads. I took a board break over summer, and then honestly I've gone through a major Bernard Cornwell phase and figured it wouldn't be much interest to anyone each week for me to pipe in with "and I read another Uhtred book!". (Oh NO. It's the Uhtred of Bebbanburg groupie chick again.....?)

I also started Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier as my Audible choice for my non-horror Halloween read, but am not far enough in to have an opinion yet. 

I accidentally reread the first five Three Pines novels this summer and followed them up with the next six books in the series. And then I reread them all again. And then I read then one more time but I just skipped ahead to the parts with the subplot I really liked. I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it but there ya go. I felt a bit like you with your Uhtred books. "Oh geez all this thread is anymore is the Untred gal and the chick that's REALLY into the Three Pines mysteries!" LOL. I'm just saying ... I understand where you're coming from @texasmom33.

And now I'm sitting here patiently (not really ... hurry up and read!) tapping my finger waiting for you to get through Rebecca. I read the first half of it over a week and the last half from 2 am to 4 am. 

• Like 6

Amy, glad you're liking Powers. I don't know how, while Flannery O'Connor and Walker Percy are so popular still, Powers has vanished.

Ran across a quote from writer and critic Martin Amis today I thought I'd share:

When we say that we love a writer's work--yes, even when we say it hand on heart--we are always stretching the truth. What we really mean is that we love about half of it. Sometimes rather more than half, sometimes rather less: but about half.

The gigantic presence of Joyce relies pretty well entirely on Ulysses, with a little help from Dubliners. You could jettison Kafka's three attempts at full-length fiction (unfinished by him, and unfinished by us) without muffling the impact of his seismic originality. George Eliot gave us one readable book.

(He then goes on to say that he "loves" Don DeLillo's stories.)

• Like 5

My recommendation to anyone interested in good literary ghost stories for Spooky London would definitely be The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories. Less than $5 from bookfinder.com. It includes Henry James's "The Friends of the Friends," a story that is in every way the opposite of "The Turn of the Screw."

• Like 6

14 hours ago, aggieamy said:

I accidentally reread the first five Three Pines novels this summer and followed them up with the next six books in the series. And then I reread them all again. And then I read then one more time but I just skipped ahead to the parts with the subplot I really liked. I'm kinda embarrassed to admit it but there ya go. I felt a bit like you with your Uhtred books. "Oh geez all this thread is anymore is the Untred gal and the chick that's REALLY into the Three Pines mysteries!" LOL. I'm just saying ... I understand where you're coming from @texasmom33.

And now I'm sitting here patiently (not really ... hurry up and read!) tapping my finger waiting for you to get through Rebecca. I read the first half of it over a week and the last half from 2 am to 4 am. 

I recently saw that the next Gamache releases early next year ...... this is coming from the person that was obsessed by Gamache last year. ? I am looking forward to it,  maybe a reread is required!

Speaking of rereads, I just finished Christie’s The Mysterious Mr. Quinhttps://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16356.The_Mysterious_Mr_Quin and rather enjoyed it. It took me several attempts via Overdrive to actually finish it.....I wonder if it is actually as super popular as it appears by the wait list or if there are 3 other people reading a story or two each time the book appears in their Overdrive!  I really liked a couple of these and found the book as a whole a bit spooky. Just who or what is Harley Quinn????? I still don’t really Know!  ?  For Brit Trippers there are a couple of trips to Wiltshire and London within the stories and several trips to sunnier weather.

I have been plugging away at a few Brit Trip author rereads........

Josephine Tey........I gave up.  I just got bored if I am really honest.  She wrote a couple of good ones and the others that I had sourcing issues with just had no real appeal and sat partially read for weeks.  They fell by the wayside in popularity for a reason I suspect ........

Dorothy Sayers...... I recently finished The Five Red Herrings which I have never managed to read before.  I sort of made myself finish it. Next up is Have His Carcase which I remember enjoying.  I doubt I will finish this project in 2018 because I want to finish Bingo and Brit Trip.

Agatha Christie, in order.........I have finished a dozen, mostly in order, and have decided this needs to be looked at as a long term project.  So far I skipped two,  one being Murder on the Links where I listened and slept through the 2 hour BBC production and another where she wrote under a pen name.  The master list is on Robin’s 52 books.......I do want to mention this has been a highly enjoyable project as many of the books they I remember disliking from previous reads I have greatly enjoyed.  I am actually rereading via audio whenever possible which may explain why I like some much more!

• Like 5

I’m persistently a few books behind to meet 52 books/year, but I don’t really see that situation improving a lot. I’m still trying to bust out the baby blanket I’m loom-knitting; I calculated today that I have at least ten more hours to go on this - and then I promptly miscounted a row pattern and had to un-knit two long rows, so it’s as if I knitted none today. (Where’s that head-bang emoji?) 

I finished reading the Woodward book about The President. It was good but I was getting depressed with that book. So many things I can do nothing about. That book was one of those Kindle percentage fake-out books. This happens when a good 25% or more at the end of the book is bibliography or notes or appendices, etc., which makes it seem for ages as if you will never finish the darn book and then - boom! - the book is suddenly over for content. My one complaint about that book is that it seemed like it ended in the middle of nothing resolved; probably he plans to write another book on Trump before it’s all said and done. Oh - and I wasn’t sure if “White House” satisfies the bingo square for color in the title. ?

To get my mind off the Things Which Cannot Be Changed and to focus on some happy since my breast cancer diagnosis, I read The Little Beach Street Bakery, as someone from WTM recommended to me. It was perfectly suitable for what I wanted. It was a fun little escape. Okay, it was a little cheesy in some respects. But worthwhile for a fun, escape novel. I feel like I can picture the setting and it seems like a place I would love. 

I am in the homestretch of Carol Dweck’s Mindset. This book is so awesome! I feel like I have highlighted more than half the book. I can tell I’m going to have a book hangover when I’m finished and I am in no hurry to rush on to the next book; I want to savor all the great things. 

My IRL bookclub is going to read Memoirs of a Geisha, a book I have long intended to read but have not. It is on my Kindle, waiting for me.

And now for your unrelated viewing pleasure, my baby blanket WIP, on the loom and with about seven more pattern sets to go:

88ADF410-4558-41A6-8DEB-1C2643A5FF74.jpeg

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Quill said:

I’m persistently a few books behind to meet 52 books/year, but I don’t really see that situation improving a lot. I’m still trying to bust out the baby blanket I’m loom-knitting; I calculated today that I have at least ten more hours to go on this - and then I promptly miscounted a row pattern and had to un-knit two long rows, so it’s as if I knitted none today. (Where’s that head-bang emoji?) 

I finished reading the Woodward book about The President. It was good but I was getting depressed with that book. So many things I can do nothing about. That book was one of those Kindle percentage fake-out books. This happens when a good 25% or more at the end of the book is bibliography or notes or appendices, etc., which makes it seem for ages as if you will never finish the darn book and then - boom! - the book is suddenly over for content. My one complaint about that book is that it seemed like it ended in the middle of nothing resolved; probably he plans to write another book on Trump before it’s all said and done. Oh - and I wasn’t sure if “White House” satisfies the bingo square for color in the title. ?

To get my mind off the Things Which Cannot Be Changed and to focus on some happy since my breast cancer diagnosis, I read The Little Beach Street Bakery, as someone from WTM recommended to me. It was perfectly suitable for what I wanted. It was a fun little escape. Okay, it was a little cheesy in some respects. But worthwhile for a fun, escape novel. I feel like I can picture the setting and it seems like a place I would love. 

I am in the homestretch of Carol Dweck’s Mindset. This book is so awesome! I feel like I have highlighted more than half the book. I can tell I’m going to have a book hangover when I’m finished and I am in no hurry to rush on to the next book; I want to savor all the great things. 

My IRL bookclub is going to read Memoirs of a Geisha, a book I have long intended to read but have not. It is on my Kindle, waiting for me.

And now for your unrelated viewing pleasure, my baby blanket WIP, on the loom and with about seven more pattern sets to go:

Your blanket is wonderful!  Once again I have to say I can’t believe the patterns you are able to do on the loom.

@Robin M will get to make the the decision about Bingo !   Doing a happy dance because it’s not a Brit Trip question!

Now for my odd geography question because Brit Trip has made me identify where I am in every single book I read.  I suspect this is something that will continue into the future, what an odd habit!   Does The Little Beach Street Bakery take place on Mull?  If you don’t know it isn’t important but as a strange coincidence I was looking at it in Overdrive last night and couldn’t figure out if all the books by that author are set in Mull or not.  

4 hours ago, texasmom33 said:

I'm listening to it on Audible so it's going to be a while!!! Maybe I need to check out the Three Pine novels too......

I'm almost done with Magpie Murders. Really enjoying that one. 

I vote for listening to all the Three Pines books.  I was able to get them all on Overdrive Listen and I was so sad when the narrator changed because of the marvelous Ralph Cosham’s death.  It took a couple of chapters but I am now reasonably happy with Robert Bathurst. ? 

I loved Magpie Murders!  After a super long wait The Word is Murder just arrived in my Overdrive.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Gorgeous!   Yes, the book counts since it has White in the title.   Hugs and good thoughts and wishes for lots of happy fluffy reading to get you through the rough days!  ❤️

• Like 6

Quill - your blanket is beautiful.    Pardon my ignorance, but what are you knitting it on?  I've seen those small round plastic ones to make hats on, but nothing like what you're using.    I'm intrigued (and need to get out of the house more?).

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Zebra said:

Quill - your blanket is beautiful.    Pardon my ignorance, but what are you knitting it on?  I've seen those small round plastic ones to make hats on, but nothing like what you're using.    I'm intrigued (and need to get out of the house more?).

Thank you. Don’t feel ignorant; few people are aware that there are looms like this and few are aware that there are many people in what you might call the “artisan” loom-knitting category. This loom is a long, wooden, adjustable, small-gauge loom similar to this. I originally learned loom knitting on the plastic round looms familiar to many, but I quickly found I wanted t knit things with a level of craftsmanship not typical for the round, plastic, large-gauge looms. (IMO, the smaller gauge automatically makes the item look more finely-crafted.) (Also, Amazon is not really the place to go for craftsman looms.)

Check out work by Isela Phelps and on Goodknitkisses. I also belong to a godknitkisses FB group and some of the people on there craft breath-taking works of art that you cannot believe was done on a loom. It is a fascinating art niche and I love being part of it. ?

• Like 6