Menu

Thinking of adopting a puppy

Beaniemom

We’ve been out of the puppy years for a long time (our dog was 15 when he passed away in December) so I need help compiling ing a list of what is needed for a puppy.  We’d be starting from scratch.  One of the dogs we are hoping to meet is a 2 month old whippet/collie mix with short hair. 

Edited by Beaniemom

Everything Jean said.

Emphasizing: Crate, Time for constant surveillance out of crate (thanks to Ktgrok for helping me figure that out - she's the Housebreaking Queen!), and lots socializing time with all types of people/creatures in all sorts of places.  Ideally, maximum socialization happens before 12 weeks.

• Like 3

everything jean said:

dd bought a puppy from a breeder in may.

worming pills  (the breeder does it once a month until they're six months?  a year?) - puppies put everything in their mouth so they need to be watched.

teething toys that can be cooled are soothing to sore gums.

yes crate - make it their safe space. (where they can go when they want to "chill".  or get away from busy kids.)

a pen - we have a 4x4 for when he's here and I can't watch him.   he hardly uses it now - but it was great when house breaking. (we took him out every hour, and gave a command word to relieve himself.  so now, I can take him out and tell hiim to go.)

or gates to block him in a particular room/space.

the goal is supposed to be 100 new experiences in 100 days . . .

but yes, lots of socialization.   he's still getting exposed to new things, and went nuts when I got new dog dishes.  he barked at them . . . and dh's cow bell he bought in austria . . . .

breeder recommended ian dunbar, I like zac george's youtube videos.

• Like 4

I'm going to pick up our new puppy tomorrow.  Our other dog is almost 11 and nearing retirement as my daughter's service dog.  The new puppy will be a service dog prospect.  I am reading Ian Dunbar's Before and After Getting Your Puppy,    Highly recommend for any new puppy parent.  I believe in a well trained, well-socialized puppy.  

Edited by ZiMom
  • Like 1

Everything mentioned above plus:

Extra dish

dog towel home and car

poop scoops or bags

possibly a harness 

grooming tools for fur and nails to get used to them even if not needed right away 

long cord like for clothesline that can give dog more exploration room while you still have hold of an end   They make super long leashes but I think they are too heavy for most puppies

Healthy treats and toys  

I have come to find dog diapers super helpful in the early socializing stage    Less accidents in car and easier to go into places dogs are allowed without puddles  

If pee pads mean pads scented to encourage peeing on them in house, I agree that it is better to start with training for outdoor peeing.  But we used absorbent pads in crate with our last puppy and found it very helpful to clean up quickly from accidents.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

I'd advocate against pee pads. Better to train a pup to relieve themselves outdoors and never inside.

The whole key to good puppy education is to never encourage behavior in a pup that would be unwelcome in a full sized dog. Reward good behaviors.

Bill

Despite being the one who put down pee pads, I agree with you.  I realized now that we actually use the pee pads for the bunnies who never go outside.  (The puppy ignores them.) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pen said:

If pee pads mean pads scented to encourage peeing on them in house, I agree that it is better to start with training for outdoor peeing.  But we used absorbent pads in crate with our last puppy and found it very helpful to clean up quickly from accidents.

Pee pads are IMO invaluable when housebreaking puppies, and for a million other non-pet uses around the home. I always have some on hand, even when I'm not housebreaking a dog. I like them for cats, too -- a pee pad works great for lining a carrier when taking a cat to the vet. It gives them a little something soft to lay on and that they can sink their claws into, and if a sick kitty vomits or has diarrhea it's easy clean up. Plus if housebreaking small breed puppies IME they really can be invaluable, and also IME it's a simple thing to transition the pup to going outside as it gets older and develops better bladder control.

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Dogs, puppies included, are very averse to fouling their "dens" or crates. Given opportunities to go outdoors, they will not do so.

To remove (or mitigate) the natural consequences of fouling one's crate by using absorbent pee pads is counter-productive to the mission of quick housebreaking.

The key is to understand young pups can't hold urine very long and to proved very regular access to the outdoors. 

Bill

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Dogs, puppies included, are very averse to fouling their "dens" or crates. Given opportunities to go outdoors, they will not do so.

To remove (or mitigate) the natural consequences of fouling one's crate by using absorbent pee pads is counter-productive to the mission of quick housebreaking.

The key is to understand young pups can't hold urine very long and to proved very regular access to the outdoors. 

Bill

I understand that. But sometimes accidents happen,  Or at least in our lives they do.  bladder control plus human error plus even terrain and climate can factor in. We had some times when puppy vocalized needing out but humans weren’t fast enough. For us a few absorbent pads used in puppy hood made things much easier. I don’t think it changed anything about the total house training time. It did make for less cleanup work which in my life is important 

2 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I'd advocate against pee pads. Better to train a pup to relieve themselves outdoors and never inside.

The whole key to good puppy education is to never encourage behavior in a pup that would be unwelcome in a full sized dog. Reward good behaviors.

Bill

I agree they need to be trained to go outside - which can mean taking a young puppy outside every hour.   (people need to commit to that. - I also took him to one spot where I want him to go, give a command word.   like preschoolers, even puppies can need to be reminded to go. so many things to sniff.)  unscented puppy pads are useful in their pen - but are not a replacement for taking them outside frequently.   people who have relied upon puppy pad training - end up with a dog who only wants a puppy pad.  (this was addressed in our puppy class because one woman had that problem with her puppy.)

if you are committed to taking them outside frequently, they'll house break fairly quickly.  (he's crated at him at night, so he knows that's "bedtime".  He ran in there once after i gave him a bath.)     the harder part is getting him to tell me he needs to go out.

and when he was really small- that meant taking him out at least once during the night for a few weeks - small bladders and all that.

tiny puppies need to go out more frequently.

12 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I agree they need to be trained to go outside - which can mean taking a young puppy outside every hour.   (people need to commit to that. - I also took him to one spot where I want him to go, give a command word.   like preschoolers, even puppies can need to be reminded to go. so many things to sniff.)  unscented puppy pads are useful in their pen - but are not a replacement for taking them outside frequently.   people who have relied upon puppy pad training - end up with a dog who only wants a puppy pad.  (this was addressed in our puppy class because one woman had that problem with her puppy.)

if you are committed to taking them outside frequently, they'll house break fairly quickly.  (he's crated at him at night, so he knows that's "bedtime".  He ran in there once after i gave him a bath.)     the harder part is getting him to tell me he needs to go out.

and when he was really small- that meant taking him out at least once during the night for a few weeks - small bladders and all that.

This is not really true. One anecdotal story does not a truth make. I've dealt with puppies (fostering) for whom pads were a necessity, at least for awhile -- puppies who came from horrific situations in very poor health. It's not a certainty that relying on pee pads equals a dog who only wants a pee pad. It's all in how they're used.

Caveat: I'm not advocating for the use of pee pads. But like many things puppy/dog related there is no one "right" way, and a lot of what is spread as fact is really just very limited, anecdotal experience. A pee pad is simply a tool, like any other.

10 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

This is not really true. One anecdotal story does not a truth make. I've dealt with puppies (fostering) for whom pads were a necessity, at least for awhile -- puppies who came from horrific situations in very poor health. It's not a certainty that relying on pee pads equals a dog who only wants a pee pad. It's all in how they're used.

Caveat: I'm not advocating for the use of pee pads. But like many things puppy/dog related there is no one "right" way, and a lot of what is spread as fact is really just very limited, anecdotal experience. A pee pad is simply a tool, like any other.

I'm not saying don't use puppy pads (we did, and still have the original pack)  - I'm saying take the puppy outside and don't rely upon them in place of a puppy pad if you are home.   we've had them as a back-up when we're not there.  dd got a "grass pad" . . . he would use that instead of waiting for me to come get him and take him out when he was physically capable of waiting.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Ithe harder part is getting him to tell me he needs to go out.

We used one of those doggy bells.  Ring it with their nose.  Treat immediately.  Put them out.  Rinse and repeat.  https://www.amazon.com/Housetraining-Doorbells-Training-Housebreaking-Instructional/dp/B00T4XD0VK

Now we've gone fancy and have a doggy doorbell.  https://www.amazon.com/Pebble-Smart-Doggie-Doorbell-Accent/dp/B00BBMEFCK/ref=zg_bs_2975348011_35?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=CGE7NWH3G5BHV8AQBKEE

• Like 2

On 10/6/2018 at 10:53 AM, Pen said:

I understand that. But sometimes accidents happen,  Or at least in our lives they do.  bladder control plus human error plus even terrain and climate can factor in. We had some times when puppy vocalized needing out but humans weren’t fast enough. For us a few absorbent pads used in puppy hood made things much easier. I don’t think it changed anything about the total house training time. It did make for less cleanup work which in my life is important 

I'm not understanding. Having something absorbent to clean accidents is one thing. Having a pup intentionally pee on a pad is another thing entirely.

It is never a good idea to be in the position of undoing a habit with a dog or puppy that has been allowed or encouraged at first, and then to expect their behaviors to change.

Consistency on the part of humans is the key to a well-trained dog. Human error undermines good outcomes.

Bill

On 10/6/2018 at 1:17 PM, gardenmom5 said:

Yes. Young pups need lots of attention. They are infants. Young ones will need to go out every 20 minutes. That's the way it is.

If humans are on top of a pup, don't allow peeing on pads, take it outside preemptively, and praise the pup with a "codeword" for doing its business outside one can have a pup that never not housebroken.

Bill

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I'm not understanding. Having something absorbent to clean accidents is one thing. Having a pup intentionally pee on a pad is another thing entirely.

It is never a good idea to be in the position of undoing a habit with a dog or puppy that has been allowed or encouraged at first, and then to expect their behaviors to change.

Consistency on the part of humans is the key to a well-trained dog. Human error undermines good outcomes.

Bill

I e never used pee pads if those are ones with odors to encourage peeing on them. Only disposable chuks in place of crate blankets so that clean up if there is a mess is made easier.  I’ve also never rewarded a puppy for peeing on the chuks.

Nor punish them for an indoor accident either. Only reward for peeing in the desired pee location. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Young ones will need to go out every 20 minutes. That's the way it is.

That can work out fine in a place like a single family house with yard in Southern California. 

Suppose the puppy lives on the 20th floor of a New York City apartment building where the wait for elevator to come, trip down, and time to get out of doors is nearly 10 minutes? And nearly 10 back up?  

Or an upper floor walk-up flat in London? Or an apartment in Venice during Acqua Alta ?

Or an older and or disabled owner who moves much more slowly than you do?

Or any number of other circumstances where whisking the puppy outside every 20 minutes won’t work ? 

The reality IME is there exists a wider variety of management methods that will lead to a happy, healthy, fully housetrained dog not just a single one-size-fits-all solution.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pen said:

That can work out fine in a place like a single family house with yard in Southern California. 

Suppose the puppy lives on the 20th floor of a New York City apartment building where the wait for elevator to come, trip down, and time to get out of doors is nearly 10 minutes? And nearly 10 back up?  

Or an upper floor walk-up flat in London? Or an apartment in Venice during Acqua Alta ?

Or an older and or disabled owner who moves much more slowly than you do?

Or any number of other circumstances where whisking the puppy outside every 20 minutes won’t work ? 

The reality IME is there exists a wider variety of management methods that will lead to a happy, healthy, fully housetrained dog not just a single one-size-fits-all solution.  

In the cases you outline, many of those dogs will continue to urinate inside their owner's apartments for the remainder of their lives.

It is '*possible* to undo bad habits but it is much more of an effort than instilling good habits from day one.

Having a puppy urinate on a pee pad is a generally bad idea whose short-term convenience will always come with longer-term costs.

I prefer not to live in a urine-soaked home, but that's just me.

Bill

• Like 1

I lived in and near New York City for around a decade. I only encountered one dog with a long term indoor piddling problem—and it was a generally unstable dog, as well as possibly a breed that tends to have such problems. All the others, I lived with, walked, or knew well, once their bladders were capable, caught on to their park and walk time schedules and were reliable about not peeing indoors. ...

I do know one person who deliberately trained her puppies to eliminate in the house on newspapers where it created a long term problem (ironically in a single detached house with yard where it would ha e been easy to send them out).  However this is different than training them to go outdoors to empty bladder and bowels — but having options to help deal with the phase when the dog does not yet have the physical ability to hold urine long enough for the living circumstances.  

@Spy CarI also know people who believe similar about humans and go with potty training/ no diapers from birth  .  I gather  it does produce more perfect potty training very early than does reliance on diapers during human infancy—and far less waste than disposables and less washing than cloth diapers    

However, the diaper wearing human babies do mostly catch up with their potty trained since birth counterparts .   Human infant use of diapers at 12 weeks old does not mean they will still be diaper reliant at 12years old. So too, IME with the puppies: Most of them catch on just fine and become fully house trained similar to most human babies who wear diapers ending up potty trained  .  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4467224/No-diapers-no-problem-potty-training-birth.html

I lived in and near New York City for around a decade. I only encountered one dog with a long term indoor piddling problem—and it was a generally unstable dog, as well as possibly a breed that tends to have such problems. All the others, I lived with, walked, or knew well, once their bladders were capable, caught on to their park and walk time schedules and were reliable about not peeing indoors. ...

I do know one person who deliberately trained her puppies to eliminate in the house on newspapers where it created a long term problem (ironically in a single detached house with yard where it would ha e been easy to send them out).  However this is different than training them to go outdoors to empty bladder and bowels — but having options to help deal with the phase when the dog does not yet have the physical ability to hold urine long enough for the living circumstances.