Menu

I need a super easy potluck item

Peaceseeker

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

You guys are making me hungry, I’m trying to wrap my brain around graham cracker flavor with corn. May try that for Thanksgiving as a side. I usually buy frozen or fresh veggies as opposed to canned. Probably won’t make a huge difference either way I’m guessing for the canned corn. 

We make this dish every Thanksgiving (not in a crust; I can't imagine it in a sweet crust, sorry Katie).  One of my kids says it is not Thanksgiving without 3 corn casserole (the name on the recipe I found about 20 years ago). 

I sometimes sub frozen corn for the whole corn, but I buy the can of creamed corn.  I also tried to make it once using a corn bread recipe instead of the box of Jiffy, but it wasn't right.  

Edited by marbel

1 hour ago, Reefgazer said:

Shrimp cocktail -  buy the shrimp already cooked, put them on a plate, and plop a bowl of cocktail sauce in the middle of them.   They get grabbed Up like hot cakes.

Sam’s Club has these in tray form. Easy-peasy.

Another thing they carry that is more entree-like is pre-cooked, thinly sliced, smoked brisket.  It’s really good.  You could bring rolls and some condiments to go with.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Wow I had no idea you could get creamed corn that way. I was just thinking about the regular corn. I'm also curious what it would taste like in a plain pie crust vs graham crackers. I may be doing some experimenting this year LOL 

Just a note - that tube contains more creamed corn than a can. So if you defrosted it and used the whole thing, it would change the texture of the dish.  Maybe that would be fine, but I think it would make it looser/wetter and that wouldn't be a good thing in my house.  But YMMV.

This recipe is so heavy on carbs I can't imagine putting it in any kind of crust!   But again, YMMV.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, katilac said:

Is it possible to make an entire dinner from tube food? Ground beef, creamed corn, and . . . ?? 

Marzipan. Hot dogs and sausages are technically in their own tubes. If you consider a tube to include anything in a cylinder, you are home free---most canned/jarred foods, Pringles, some candy, cookies, etc. ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I was thinking of a Thanksgiving Day side. I’m not really counting carbs on Thanksgiving, that’s for sure. I agree I don’t think it needs a crust but it just sounded like something I might explore. Now if the tube is too much I would adjust the recipe for that (use less or make two dishes). Seems like it would be wetter, though. 

Oh, yeah, it's a special occasion thing here. Thanksgiving, Easter, and potlucks. I would not use a regular crust...they wouldn't meld together they way the cornbread does with the graham cracker crust. The textures would be too different. 

• Like 1

Instant Pot Mac and cheese was a big hit at a potluck. 

I would also consider a loaded cauliflower casserole (with bacon bits on the side). Nice for the LC folks but also substantial enough to be a main dish for the vegetarian crowd. One of my kiddos is vegetarian so I try to bring potluck dishes so that kiddo isn’t scrambling for food.