Menu

Getting ready to leave--ugh. and, Yay! lol (sorta venting)

Chris in VA

We are leaving on the 15th for Jerusalem, and there are boxes and bins every.where. Dd came home for the first and last time from freshman year at college, and packed her room, and left this evening. We will see her once more before leaving, to give her our car and say goodbye. Ds has found a place to live, and Dd also has a place for the summer (and any time she needs a weekend, or at the beginnings and ending of breaks). I am going to see my parents in NH tomorrow for 2 days, and my mil is coming Fri to help us finish packing (just the kitchen left, hopefully), and to attend a going away party our church is throwing for us (been at the parish 17 years). 

Now we have to find a home for our cat. I'm getting a little anxious about it (if you are local and want to foster her, let me know! lol). She is not easy--she was found by the side of the road in a rural area where we have a home, and we've had her 2 years--she never learned as a kitten to sheath her claws when playing, sometimes bites (pretty gently, usually), and is an indoor cat that would love to go out. She is snuggly in the morning, but can get scratchy. I don't know how to find her a home. Dd can take her next Aug when she gets an apartment, but until then, IDK. 

There's so much going on! I'm not quite as sad at leaving because I'm starting to turn my heart towards being there, but today, with dd packing her room and leaving (she won't ever return to this home, and she's really only known this home, unlike the rest of family who have moved before), it was just hard to see her tears, see her choose what to take and what to let us take to our other house (essentially storage). It's just hard to see her let go, and hard to let go myself. 

That's all. Just wanted to vent and update. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

I read your other thread on college board about fetching your daughter and can understand the bittersweet feeling of “losing” the only childhood home you know. My parents had to move out of my childhood home when my mom was no longer about to climb stairs easily. It still felt funny when I was in the area and it would feel weird to go knock on a stranger’s (single working lady) door. 

Good luck on finding someone to foster your cat and have a safe uneventful journey to your new home.

Wow, I think that sounds super exciting!  With some bittersweet moments, for sure.  

We had to leave our home for a year and gave our cat to a friend who lives in the country.  She has a big barn with lots of hay and our cat became a barnyard cat, but was very happy there.  She learned how to hunt mice and slept in the barn with rabbits.  (Even in the dead of winter, she was fine.)  Could you do something like that?

• Like 1

I must have missed your announcement that you were moving to Jerusalem. Best of luck to you! When we moved overseas, our oldest was 19 and he stayed in the states. It was hard, but it also had long-term benefits. He grew up a lot out of necessity, and in the long run we all became closer. Hugs to you!

ETA: Is this a temporary or permanent move?

Edited by Penguin