Menu

Latin for 3rd grade?

Janeway

15 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

SyrwtlLatin Prep. I don't know if it is still available, though. 

That is what I really wanted. But I can only find it for very expensive online. I also like the Minimus, but again, too expensive. I have the student book but nothing else.

On 9/18/2018 at 6:50 PM, 8FillTheHeart said:

SyrwtlLatin Prep. I don't know if it is still available, though. 

On 9/19/2018 at 10:04 AM, Janeway said:

That is what I really wanted. But I can only find it for very expensive online.

We LOVE Latin Prep (using it currently, but my siggy doesn't show it because my edits aren't saving, for some reason). LP is out of print, but the Book 1 text is available used on Amazon for around $20. And "Horrible Ray" has all the other LP books brand new, at a 20% discount with free shipping, on his site: www.horriblebooks.com. Ray has a quirky sense of humor (his site is unconventional and hilarious), but he's totally legit, and if you want Latin Prep, that's where to get it. I went ahead and ordered all three levels from him to make sure I could get them while they're still available.

That said, I think Latin Prep might be a bit much for a third grader (depends on your child, though, obviously). It's designed for the middle grades, as prep for high school Latin. We did GSWL first (starting in 3rd grade) and the transition into LP was a breeze. GSWL focuses on the grammar and is very light on vocab, which I think is a fantastic approach, because the student gets very familiar with using the language without being overwhelmed with memorization at the same time. And GSWL is only $20 for a non-consumable text. You just need the book and some paper or a notebook.

HTH!!

• 3 weeks later...