Menu

Ordering plus size clothes online- I give in!

Hilltopmom

Our small town has 2 stores left that sell plus size clothes- Dress Barn & Christopher Banks. I gave in & decided to start ordering things online and hope for the best.

(I’m building a new work wardrobe for this school year after scraping by with minimal outfits last year)

I decided it’s cheaper to order online & pay return shipping for items that don’t fit than to travel 2-3 hours to the closest city with a decent mall to try things on (pay gas, find someone to watch my preschoolers for a whole day, lunch on the road). We’ll see.

wish me luck!

I ordered a bunch of dresses & tops from The Avenue, Lane Bryant, & Kohl’s. Something will have to fit, right?!?!?

also- total vent: why on earth do manufacturers think that everyone who wears a plus-size wants low cut shirts with rhinestones on the front and weird “sexy” cutouts in their work tops??? I can’t wear that for teaching!!

• Like 6

I love Dress Barn (except for the name), but you are spot on about the sparkles! 

I find Avenue clothes to be a crap shoot--I have one top I LOVE from there, but it has this weird, rubberized thread that comes out of EVERY seam when it's washed. What IS that? Spandex gone wild? IDK. Their clearance prices are phenomenal, tho. 

I think the worst thing about plus sized clothes is that the buyers think every top and dress must be loose-fitting in order to "hide" our flabby awesomeness. It can be very UNflattering, just as much as being a Too-Tight Sally. 

Aaaannnd I've met my Descriptive Script and Language requirement for the day. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, perkybunch said:

LL Bean has good plus size stuff, and if you have their credit card, you get free return shipping (regular shipping is always free).  

Yes  

I cant go to stores due to disability  

Many Most things llbean seem to come in petite regular and plus   And rhinestones would not be common. 

• Like 1

I've had good luck with the Avenue's dresses (always on sale.)  Lands End and Ulla Popken too (both when on sale).  Used to love Lane Bryant....past few years, though....doesn't appeal to me.

FullBeauty.com has a lot of different plus size brands on one site.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, umsami said:

I've had good luck with the Avenue's dresses (always on sale.)  Lands End and Ulla Popken too (both when on sale).  Used to love Lane Bryant....past few years, though....doesn't appeal to me.

FullBeauty.com has a lot of different plus size brands on one site.

Oh my gosh- thank you so much! I’d forgotten about Ulla Popkin & love that stuff! A bit pricey even on sale but more my style than others

• Like 1

I just ordered a pair of dressy-ish ankle pants from Loft.  Size 16, which I didn't even know they had.  I've never bought anything there before but saw they were having a 40% off sale so took a chance.  I. Love. Them.  I got a top, too, and am very pleased!  

These are the pants in case anyone cares to see.  They are so comfortable and I can't believe I look decent in "skinny" pants!!  https://www.loft.com/loft-plus-skinny-bi-stretch-ankle-pants/464405?skuId=24677103&defaultColor=6181&catid=cat3750040

• Like 1

Update- Kohl’s good, except arm holes in tanks  on tops & dresses too large- kept half of it

ula Popken I loved the looks but everything was way too huge in my size- returned it all

the Avenue was the winner with 4 clearance dresses and a skort!! And undies! Their maxi dress is lower calf length on me... perfect

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1