Menu

Dr. Hive: Help for suspected UTI, please

ThisIsTheDay

On Thursday, I began having a slight twinge/sensation when I was done urinating. I realized on Friday evening it's probably the start of a UTI. I do not regularly get these, maybe one or two in my lifetime. Yesterday I drank 3 cups of cranberry juice (omg, sour!). Since beginning the cranberry juice, I've felt both better and then back to the same, just back and forth. Today is the same, a little better and then back to that slight twinge.

I really don't want to go to urgent care. What else can I do to ward this off?

THANK YOU!

Take d-mannose pills. Those are high powered cranberry pills. They do help with a UTI. 

And drink tons of water  

But I would still get checked out if it’s not better soon. 

I’m getting over one myself and those pills really helped. 

• Like 5

the vexing thing is - while cranberry juice irritates the lining of the bladder so bacteria can't adhere (which is how it heals a uti) - it can also make your urine acidic, which can burn becasue it's acidic, and not becasue there is an infection.

the tx for that is baking soda water.  it neutralizes the acid.  1/4 - 1/2 tsp in a glass of warm water.  (helps it dissolve)

• Like 1

Go to the drugstore and get an AZO test kit. Since I have....er.... reached a certain age, UTIs are a constant part of my life. And I am not as symptomatic as I used to be, so I need to be very careful to pay attention when I do start to get symptomatic. Last fall I went in, doubtful as to whether I really had one, and it ended up being very severe. I started getting the test kits and they are accurate. I asked my doctor. I’m not going to tell you what to do, but personally, I would not try to treat it myself. A very good friend of mine ended up in the hospital for several days with a kidney infection that started with a UTI. I use cranberry pills and a preventative antibiotic after teA, but I still get UTIs occasionally, and I go in immediately. 

• Like 3

You can get test strips from the pharmacy to see if you have a uti. My daughter is susceptible to them and we have never cured one without antibiotics. The strips at least tell me if I need to take her to the doctor or not. 

• Like 2

I have a lot of antibiotic allergies. This has worked for me...

apple cider vinegar 1-2 tbl 3x's a day (You can dilute it in water or drink it in a shot glass and chase it with water)

2 d-mannose pills 3 x's a day

the strongest cranberry pills I can find 2 pills 3x's a day

1 gram of vitamin c 3-4x's a day

If your in pain, a warm bath will help you feel better. If you are breastfeeding, I believe you cannot take AZO, but if you are not that is a very good pain reliever. 

• Like 1

I’ve self treated and gotten to to go away. I’ve ALSO self-treated and was hospitalized with a kidney infection. You want an end-date on self treating and a plan in place in case you’re unsuccessful. I think tons of water works as well as anything, but you can sometimes lose the battle at night. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for all of your comments and helpful advice. I saw some of the answers earlier, but I am never logged in on my phone so couldn't respond. I've been drinking a LOT today, and again I've had bouts of being better and being eh. But it wasn't enough to warrant a trip to urgent care. I'll see how tonight goes--I may take advantage of morning drop in hours at my doctor's office on my way to work.

I truly appreciate ALL of your encouragements, both the suggestions on what to do in the meantime, and the encouragements to get treated!

• Like 1