Menu

Electric toothbrush

Night Elf

My former dentist suggested the Oral-B rotating head. My new dentist is suggesting the Sonic Care that has a head that looks like a manual toothbrush and vibrates. I'd like to buy one and try it out but which one should I get? I see where Oral-B is approved by the American Dental Association.

Ok. I'm just a little dubious. I was with my former dentist for over 15 years and I trust him. I never felt he did anything that wasn't really needing to be fixed. This new dentist has found 7 small cavities and wants to replace two of my crowns. That's a lot of work. She didn't say what was wrong with my crowns.

Mine recommended the Oral-B, and it has made a huge difference in my mess of a mouth.  I always thought electrics were unnecessary, but for those of us with genetic issues or reflux or haven’t had orthodontics to fix spacing issues (or all three like me), they do help a lot.  I haven’t used a Sonicare though.

One of my kids had a cheap battery toothbrush that looked like a Sonicare but didn’t care for it. I can’t remember exactly why though.  Too big for his mouth, maybe.

ETA:  I have both an Rx toothpaste and mouthwash because the reflux can cause a lot of damage pretty quickly.  If you get a second opinion and numerous cavities really is a problem, I’d see if getting the prescription products would help with whatever’s going on.  You only use them 1-2 times a day for a short period of time.  The rest of the time I use Kids Crest, lol.

4 minutes ago, PaulainTx said:

Our dentist recommended Sonicare, and we have been using them for years.  Our dentist sells them, but they are pricey there.  I bought the cheap model on Amazon for around $20 and they work fine. 

What kind of convinced me to stick with Sonicare is that our current dentist doesn't sell any kind of toothbrush but highly recommends the Sonicare brand of electrics. And she said as far as cleaning there's little to no difference between the basic models and the ones with more bells and whistles.

6 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

What kind of convinced me to stick with Sonicare is that our current dentist doesn't sell any kind of toothbrush but highly recommends the Sonicare brand of electrics. And she said as far as cleaning there's little to no difference between the basic models and the ones with more bells and whistles.

Ours said the same thing.  It took a little getting used to because I'd never used an electric one before, but it has made such a difference that I don't plan to ever use anything else. Anything that makes dental visits easier and quicker is a good thing. 

• Like 1

I never thought they made that much of a difference but dh always liked them and about a year ago, we bought them for the whole family.  My kids are the absolute worst about brushing their teeth, brushing for long enough, making sure they actually get all their teeth.  I monitor and do it for them occasionally, but they are about to turn 11 and 13 so they aren't very agreeable with me doing it anymore.

But, they both went to the dentist this past Monday.  Their first visit in over a year because of insurance changes and trying to find a dentist that can handle my son (Aspie, SPD).  Dd had one small cavity on a baby tooth that they didn't bother filling because it's about to come out anyway, and ds (who I was really really nervous about) had NO cavities.   I know that diet, genetics, etc also play a role but the kid only eats things that are starchy.  No soda, no sticky candy (only hershey chocolate in fact), and chews sugar-free gum so maybe those things help, but I have to think the toothbrush makes a difference too.

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

That's what my new dentist said too. I think my former dentist sells them but they never pushed them. My hygienist there said try Oral-B which isn't what they sold. 

I'm going to see what Walmart has. I just didn't know if I should go for the rotating head or the vibrating one. I've never used an electric toothbrush but it's been recommended to me for years and I've just resisted. I'm old school. I can't see how my moving my toothbrush around at different angles in my mouth is any worse than an electric one.

24 minutes ago, Night Elf said:

I'm going to see what Walmart has. I just didn't know if I should go for the rotating head or the vibrating one. I've never used an electric toothbrush but it's been recommended to me for years and I've just resisted. I'm old school. I can't see how my moving my toothbrush around at different angles in my mouth is any worse than an electric one.

In case you have any sensory issues you might consider the Sonicare.     The new ones have a feature that slowly increases the vibration  (maybe a week or more?)so you can get used to it.  This really made a big difference in getting my daughter to use an electric toothbrush.  

My son has used an Oral B electric for years and it does a great job, too.  He never liked the vibration feeling from a Sonicare and wouldn't use it, and that was before the new feature that let's you ease into it so who knows if that would have made a difference for him?    

1 hour ago, Night Elf said:

That's what my new dentist said too. I think my former dentist sells them but they never pushed them. My hygienist there said try Oral-B which isn't what they sold. 

The vibration or rotation is at a much higher RPM than you could manage with a manual. Also, electric toothbrushes are very beneficial for people like me who tend to brush too hard. That can be very damaging to the gums. I've never had tooth issues beyond what's normal for my age, but my gums have improved tremendously since I started using an electric toothbrush.

My dentist recommended Sonicare. I have periodontal disease and using the brush, along with a water pik has really helped. I always brushed and flossed regularly, even more than dh does, yet I still had gum problems and he has great teeth and gums. The use of a good electric toothbrush has made a big difference. 

I have this one which I chose because it has the sensitive setting and the gum setting. Dh and I each have our own brush heads and he uses it on the regular clean setting. I didn't buy it from Amazon (just using them to link) and I didn't pay that much. I bought it on sale at Bed Bath & Beyond, used one of their coupons plus a Phillips coupon and got a rebate. I think I ended up paying around $60 for it.  If you want one of the more expensive types and have the time to wait, then wait until you can get a really good deal. 

I love my Sonicare toothbrush.  I got a deal on a package for the whole family (two bases and  multiple brushheads) at Costco.  It has made a huge difference in my gum health.  I am prone to gum disease despite taking very good care of my teeth (flossing daily, brushing 2xs a day, eating a healthy diet))  Since using the sonicare, they have stopped making noise about sending me to a periodontist and they stopped having me come in for cleanings every three months.  I like the fact that it has the timer so that I spend the appropriate amount of time on each area.  And I like the fact that it starts slow with new users.  Mine has a sensitive setting that you can manually set.  

I would get a second opinion on the recommended dental work.  That seems like a big change.  My mom had a dentist who recommended a ton of work.  She sought another opinion and the second guy said she did not need nearly that much.  I once had a dentist ask me to stop recommending people to him who had healthy teeth and asked if I knew anyone who had teeth that needed more work.  Then he started recommending work that was not needed ... imaginary cavities, root canals on teeth that were just fine, etc.  I left and never went back.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I love my Sonicare toothbrush <snip>  Since using the sonicare, they have stopped making noise about sending me to a periodontist and they stopped having me come in for cleanings every three months.  I like the fact that it has the timer so that I spend the appropriate amount of time on each area.  And I like the fact that it starts slow with new users.  Mine has a sensitive setting that you can manually set.  

The last time I went it my hygienist said I'm almost at the point where I don't have to come in every three months. I credit the Sonicare toothbrush too.