Menu

Cloth diapers and Soft Structured Carriers

happypamama

My living youngest is almost five, and I think I used cloth diapers from a previous baby with him, but they've worn out.  Tell me what's new!  I've used prefolds in the past because they're economical and because I can use the little ones as doublers later.  I usually use wool covers too, but maybe I want a few non-wool ones.

I will make a new ring sling, but I have various wraps.  My Ergo is worn out though, since I bought it when DS1, age 13, was a baby.  What's out there now that's good for back carrying with an older baby (5 or more months)?  My babies tend to be pretty tall and large quickly, but this one will come a little early, if not actually premature.  I am very short, barely 5', and the Ergo was okay but really didn't get the straps quite short enough for me.  A friend likes Lillebaby.  Can anyone tell me about them?

Every carrier fits every body differently, so if you can get to a babywearing international group and try a bunch on, I recommend that.   I vaguely remember recommending that to somebody who did not live near one, and if it was you, I apologize.  

That said, almost every version of a meh dai I have seen are comfortable for most people .  Also, it seems everybody loves Tula.   Onbuhimos are more popular now and actually very quick, easy, and comfortable (IMO).  

After trying one of everything diaper-wise, We eventually used mostly rumparooz for diapers because they came with double inserts and I picked them up while they were super cheap.  Alva turned out to be good, too.  These were just the stuffy ones, not like the ones you used to use ?

• Like 1

I like alvababy covers too. And rumparoos.

Recently I've been using cheap flour sack towels for inserts.  They're cheap, they're very absorbent once they've been laundered 3-5 times, and they're bleachable, and they launder very quickly. There are lots of youtube videos on how to fold them as inserts.

Once baby starts solids I use white microfleece as liners to catch the poop.

If baby is a heavy wetter I will wrap a flour sack towel in a cheap microfiber towel.  They're widely available and super absorbent, but they dry out skin so they must be wrapped.

I've got to be honest though, recently I've been using Pampers.  So much easier than keeping up with laundry right now.

I'm short as well (only 5'1) and I love my Lillibabe. It's the first structured carrier I have been able to use that fits. LOVE IT. I've tried the Ergo, Boba, etc but love this one. And it adjusts so you can use it front or back, infant or toddler, etc. And it is taller, but that tall part can snap down for a little baby or be up for a taller toddler. 

As for diapers, I am being lazy and using Alva pocket diapers mostly, but Motherease Sandy's are another favorite of mine. 

My carriers are all made by me, but copied from name brand ones I owned at one point.  You might look into Olives and Applesauce carriers.  They also have an infant insert attached (at least they used to, haven't looked at one in a while) so they were easy to use with a tiny baby in a front carry.

I have a new baby after 6 years.  For cloth diapers I had a hard time finding any small diapers, most people just get the one size.  I don't like the way the fit untIL 10 to 12 poinds.  I found 6 small Bottom  Bumpers and I used those the first 3 months.  I need to sell them now.  After trying a few things my current one size favorite are Lalabye diapers.  My baby is 8 months and they got great#  I have some Rumparoos, which I think are great for swim diapers but I don't like the git as well.  I have some NickI diapers, too.  They are okay, cheaper and do the job.  

I have not found a good carrier bc my baby does not like baby wearing.   I have a few old carriers and slings that I do use,  and I'd planned to get a Tula or Lillie baby but she just does not like them.  

A few other nifty things, the pacifier thermometer!  Love it!  And I am using a backpack instead of a diaper bag.  I searched and searched but could not find a good diaper bag.  The backpack is easier to carry.  And I love the big muslin blankets.  Very versatile! 

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I tried them all and settled on the LilleBaby. No extra insert needed, No straps to have to reach around and tie. Captain still loves it! I bought the Airflow one as I live in Texas.

Skip the cloth. Go with Huggies Little Snugglers. Really, there is about zero cost difference when you factor in energy to clean, extra loads, water, accessories, and "special" soap. MAJOR difference in headache of using.

I don't know...I have diapers that cost about a buck each and have been used on 4 babies, never used special soap just my regular detergent, and no accessories to speak of (no weird soakers or sprayers or what not). Pretty sure they save money ? That said, I don't just do it to see money, but also trash, etc. Plus when offered a choice between a cloth or disposable my 1 year old always picks the cloth, I think they are comfier. But yeah, not just cost, or I wouldn't have bought some new, cute ones for the current baby ?  Just a few dollars each but I needed some pink

But I agree with you on the LilleBaby. Love it. ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, happypamama said:

My living youngest is almost five, and I think I used cloth diapers from a previous baby with him, but they've worn out.  Tell me what's new!  I've used prefolds in the past because they're economical and because I can use the little ones as doublers later.  I usually use wool covers too, but maybe I want a few non-wool ones.

I'm just an old timer; I was happy with basic white, prefolded gauze diapers and Gerber plastic pants (which fit under everything, including the cute little matching bloomers my dds wore with their dresses). :-)

I ended up just liking prefolds and flats with covers (both pul and wool) because I didn't have to worry about special washing and getting stink out, Green Mountain Diapers was my go to seller. For all in one's Bum Genius Cotton and Blueberry but they are Expensive! At some point I ended up with some hemp doublers too which were great. As he got older I got these which are so helpful to just let the poop drop into the toilet, ha. The Grovia Diaper stick was all I ever used and never had any diaper rash... but I was pretty conscientious about changing in a timely manner.  Seriously, just being able to wash on hot with no worries helped my stress levels.