Menu

Algebra on the computer or online

My son has been beta testing Beast Academy online, and he really likes it in large part because he doesn't have to write out his math. I brought out Jacobs Algebra and he balked at having to write out math again. If I use Derek Owens or Thinkwell instead, does he give his answers on screen? If these don't work, are there any other options?

Thanks!

We use Teaching Textbooks discs and online, but I have always made my sons write out every problem (on a whiteboard) before they are allowed to pick an answer. You get the retention from writing with the convenience of online.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Please, please, please make sure he learns to write out math correctly. That's an invaluable skill students need in higher math. Having to document and show the entire process is much more important that the final result.

I'm aware, but he is 9, with a 2 year growth delay, and doesn't have the best hand strength. It is just to qualify for Epsilon Camp. He is doing it in tandem with AoPS PA, and will do AoPS Algebra the following year. So, this is not the hill I am going to die on right now.

Derek Owens requires writing things out.  Thinkwell does not. 

Though there is the issue that as the math gets more complicated, at some point he will need to write something down.  Will he use a whiteboard?   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

I'm aware, but he is 9, with a 2 year growth delay, and doesn't have the best hand strength. It is just to qualify for Epsilon Camp. 

For Epsilon Camp, I would just use Khan Academy to pass their Epsilon Camp Algebra Assessment as Khan is free.

From Epsilon Camp webpage https://epsiloncamp.org/algebra-requirement

”Completion of an Algebra 1 course through self-study or with any other provider with competency demonstrated by completion of the Epsilon Camp Algebra Assessment. A summary of the course and resources/texts used should be submitted with the completed assessment. Some families chose to work through textbooks on their own. Others may find courses and resources like the following to be affordable or an otherwise good fit:

Duke TIP 

Thinkwell

EdX

Brigham Young University Independent Study

Khan Academy”

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EKS said:

Derek Owens requires writing things out.  Thinkwell does not. 

Though there is the issue that as the math gets more complicated, at some point he will need to write something down.  Will he use a whiteboard?   

Yes, I know that math will get more complicated. It is just to pass the Algebra assessment. I don't know if he would like a whiteboard. He's never really used one. He usually does it in his head unless he gets it incorrect, in which case, I make him work it out on paper(ish). He normally doesn't write it out, step by step. Just when he has a lot to hold in his head, sometimes he will write some of it down. Yes, I am aware that it is a problem long-term, But again, I am not stressing about it at 9 years old (with the bones of a 7 year old).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

For Epsilon Camp, I would just use Khan Academy to pass their Epsilon Camp Algebra Assessment as Khan is free.

From Epsilon Camp webpage https://epsiloncamp.org/algebra-requirement

”Completion of an Algebra 1 course through self-study or with any other provider with competency demonstrated by completion of the Epsilon Camp Algebra Assessment. A summary of the course and resources/texts used should be submitted with the completed assessment. Some families chose to work through textbooks on their own. Others may find courses and resources like the following to be affordable or an otherwise good fit:

Duke TIP 

Thinkwell

EdX

Brigham Young University Independent Study

Khan Academy”

He has always been bored by Khan videos, so we never explored it much. Does Khan have actual online problem sets and assessments, so he can be tested on his knowledge? That's what I need for him.

3 minutes ago, SeaConquest said:

He has always been bored by Khan videos, so we never explored it much. Does Khan have actual online problem sets and assessments, so he can be tested on his knowledge? That's what I need for him.

Khan has actual problem sets.  Jean in Newcastle has a long post on how to use Khan for math. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeaConquest said:

I am wondering of the Elements of Mathematics course does it online. That might be the best fit for him. Does anyone know?

CrimsonWife’s son prefers Elements of Mathematics over AoPS. It is online but costly.

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

CrimsonWife’s son prefers Elements of Mathematics over AoPS. It is online but costly.

Right. I remember. I haven't seen her around since the boards switched over. Sacha passed the assessment for EMF, so maybe I will just give them a call. 

OP I am thankful that regentrude wrote the first reply in this thread. She can express far better than I can, the EXTREME IMPORTANCE of Math students showing their work to their Instructor.  Without that, IMO, a Math course is very weak.  Also, just about everything after Algebra 1 is based on Algebra 1, so if one has any weakness in Algebra 1, there will be issues down the road. Good luck to your student!

2 minutes ago, Lanny said:

OP I am thankful that regentrude wrote the first reply in this thread. She can express far better than I can, the EXTREME IMPORTANCE of Math students showing their work to their Instructor.  Without that, IMO, a Math course is very weak.  Also, just about everything after Algebra 1 is based on Algebra 1, so if one has any weakness in Algebra 1, there will be issues down the road. Good luck to your student!

Lanny, I am aware of this, but numerous kids on the accelerated learner board have had the same issue and the consensus has been not to worry about it *at this age*. So, I am not. I don't think his math education is going to be weak while enrolled at AoPS Academy. He only needs enough algebra to pass the test for Epsilon. He is taking PA this year and Algebra again the following year with AoPS Academy. If he was in high school, I would be concerned. In the 3rd-4th grade, and with a growth delay, I am not.

• Like 2

I can't answer your original question but I do want offer support that you are right that at 9 writing out problems is not a hill to die on.  My son did algebra at 8 he could "see" the answer in his head so would never write things out.  My aunt (who is a high school math teacher was very bothered by how he did algebra and was sure they he couldn't be understanding it) gave him a test and told him to write it out.  First he gave her the answer he "saw" in his head and then wrote it out step by step on paper.  He did everything correctly.  It's just he could see all those steps in his head so there was really no reason to write it to paper.  I understand those who say when it gets harder they need to write it out and there did reach a point but he was a whole more mature by then and writing was so much easier.  For those truly advanced math kids, sometimes you just have to sidestep the conventional "rules" because they really can get in the way of learning for PG kids.

• Like 2