Menu

Wedding present for niece....

LarlaB

My niece is getting married this Fall and I am unable to go to the wedding because its in Ireland.  Her fiance is from Ireland and that's where they will live, so it makes sense to have it there- but too much $$ for me to go.  My parents, oldest sister & DH and of course the brides parents & 4 siblings will be going. 

Any ideas for a smaller (size wise), unique, personalized wedding gift to send with my sister? Around $100?  I have ordered handmade, personalized serving/pottery bowls for previous wedding gifts and have been very pleased with the results.  But I think it's way too large to ask someone to take along in their suitcase, so I'd have to ship it- which is possible if I can't think of anything else.  My parents and both sisters will be going (with family) to the wedding, but I know that luggage space is tight. 

So something that is small enough to easily pack but still personalized? Hmmm

One of my go to wedding presents is a plaque (many selections at Etsy) that features bride and groom's first name and their last name with the wedding date. I suppose in case they each keep their last name, it would be two last names and a date.

Sort of like this one but they come in all shapes and sizes: https://www.etsy.com/listing/112967527/personalized-wedding-gift-custom-family?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=name plaques&ref=sc_gallery-1-1&plkey=a32f1cbb1b5685bc55e909ee89e5fbe5c3fb96dc:112967527

Do they have a registry? I get wanting to be personal, Just, sometimes, tastes of the giver and the receiver don't match, and personalized things for the wall (for example) may not be as appreciated as something they need or have indicated they want. 

That said, are they people of faith? A family bible is a nice idea and can be personalized with calligraphy inside (they have a place for weddings and so forth, and filling that in is nice). 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Do they have a registry? I get wanting to be personal, Just, sometimes, tastes of the giver and the receiver don't match, and personalized things for the wall (for example) may not be as appreciated as something they need or have indicated they want. 

That said, are they people of faith? A family bible is a nice idea and can be personalized with calligraphy inside (they have a place for weddings and so forth, and filling that in is nice). 

No, they don't have a registry.  Because 50% of guests are flying to Ireland from US, I haven't heard how they are going to handle gifts. 

But they are very young (22 & 26) and starting out and will need all of the things...and yes, people of faith.  Met at a Bible school. ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Amanda Pugliese said:

What about a card with cash in it and something for her to keep to remember her state/city/etc? A framed photo of a favorite place or something along those lines?

My niece was raised in Asia (China, Nepal) for 18 years, so is a third culture kid and doesn't identify the US, or any state, as home.   I had noticed some small etsy items that combined bride & groom map segments- pretty cool, but I don't want to presume what feels like origin/home to her. 

DH & I were married young and needed all of the things (and cash).  But now, 22 years later- I absolutely treasure the artwork, and personalized items and such that were wedding presents.  So that's why I'd like to give them something small and personalized- and probably cash as well.  Coffee pots, random dishes and appliances are necessary and useful, but not 

I'm leaning towards an "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" print and handwritten blessing on the back.  And cash. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Laurie said:

What about cash and an ornament for their first Christmas tree?  https://www.creativeirishgifts.com/search?k=christmas ornament

I really like the ornament plus cash idea.  I love looking at the 30 years of ornaments Dh and I have accumulated over the years and know I would treasure one that is a wedding gift.  Either something with their names or something that symbolizes where your niece ( or her parent that you are related to)is from.  If they have been living in the US they are going to need a whole lot of practical stuff so cash will be welcome.

A nice picture frame with a check enclosed in a card. Easy to pack, or even could look for one when you get there, 

or,  an you get help from family and friends that live there - ask them to direct you to their favorite book shop, tea shop, things like that. See if the friends can direct you to movie theaters where they might enjoy productions - you might be able to give a credit card for a gift certificate, but if not, pick a play based on what you know about her on a date at least two weeks after the wedding. Oh, how exciting!  You could also prepare a gift basket with adventures in their new town and some supplies they will need.