Menu

Small gift to bring when meeting boyfriend's parents?

clementine

So, dd has her first bf & could be meeting soon at their home.  I am wondering what an appropriate small gift would be?  She's not 21 yet, so a bottle of wine is a no.  She can't do flowers because she'll be traveling there - baked goods would also not stay fresh.  

I have thought about a candle, a small basket of jams/spreads/etc. made in our state (they are in another state)???

You guys are the best resource, so give me your suggestions ?

Yes, some jams and such from your state could be very nice.

She should ask her boyfriend if that would work for them or not.  I only say that because I once took a similar gift to someone and the person thanked me but commented that she could not enjoy them because of some medical condition.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What state is she coming from?  How long is her trip? A small potted plant is actually not that hard to pack for shipping if your travel time is only a day or two, you just have to open it up and water it when you get there. I'd be tempted to do that with a small state-specific sign or figurine to decorate it.  A Christmas ornament is easy too, but we're a little far from the holiday.  Wind chimes? State-specific snack foods?  This is easy for Maryland, but I guess it depends where you're coming from. Maybe just some nice chocolates if they won't melt.  

ETA:  I think a consumable gift can be especially considerate because the person isn't obligated to keep it forever or find it and put it out when they know you're coming.

• Thanks 1

I have five sons and would be thrilled with anything a girlfriend brought me ? I got Mother's Day cards this year from two of the three girlfriends, and it warmed my heart. The first time I met my oldest son's college girlfriend, she brought me a framed photo of them from a sorority/fraternity bash. My middle son's girlfriend made me a pot holder the first time she came to stay at our house (she moved out of state and came back for visits). Since you're out of state, the suggestion of a local treat is a great one! I think that's a nice ice breaker, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mominco said:

I had someone give me a very nice set of kitchen towels from their state.I love them.So hand towels/kitchen towels with some local honey or and sauces?

I was thinking to have her line the basket, so this is a great addition!