Menu

What is this mystery plant?

alisoncooks

I ordered oldest DD a Venus Flytrap kit from Rainbow Resource for Christmas. Its name is Fred. 

Well, after 5 months of suspiciously observing, we are now certain that Fred has been lying to us. He is not a Flytrap. (dun-dun-DUN!)

Anyway.... Any plant identification experts out there?  What is our Mystery Plant? 

IMG_3305.thumb.JPG.93e53c67b9827f2ff18489232e49db56.JPG

17 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Something in the mint family, like maybe coleus, was my thought too. Does it have a square stem? You can feel the "corners" if it does.

It does have a square stem. So two plants grew from the kit (of the same variety). DD calls the 2nd one Fred Jr. and it does have a more distinct color pattern that looks like google images of Coleus.

IMG_3379.thumb.JPG.8dbe0891805a9aa879629337a4b907b6.JPG

1 hour ago, 4Kiddos said:

Well that is definitely not a Venus Fly trap. It looks like a plain green Coleus but I am not sure.

ETA: Lowes and Home Depot sell real Venus Flytraps

another vote for it looks like a green coleus.   you can take it to a nursery, and they should be able to ID it for you.

1 hour ago, thessa516 said:

If you have a smartphone, you can try the free app called PictureThis Plant. I tried taking a photo of your photo with my phone, but it's giving me all kinds of different answers, none of which seem correct.

What a great idea for an app. Is there one for insects too?

16 minutes ago, Angie in VA said:

What a great idea for an app. Is there one for insects too?

I'm not familiar with any. I saw in the app store there is one for $4.99, but I'm not sure how good it is. Maybe someone else will chime in with a recommendation. If you want a good one for birds, I recommend the Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thessa516 said:

I'm not familiar with any. I saw in the app store there is one for $4.99, but I'm not sure how good it is. Maybe someone else will chime in with a recommendation. If you want a good one for birds, I recommend the Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab.

Merlin Bird ID is awesome

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Rainbow Resource isn't doing so well with delivering high quality goods as advertised. . .    (When you add this thread to the one about the weird plagiarized history workbook. . .)

How sad. I used them quite a bit... eehh 15 years ago. I wonder what has changed.

37 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Well, to be fair, this was a prepackaged plant kit. So the error wasn't necessarily theirs...unless they've had complaints and do nothing (continue to sell it). 

The book wasn't published by them either.  But whoever is their buyer(s) right now isn't doing a good job vetting products and companies. 

• Like 1

iNaturalist is another app that helps you identify plants and animals.

I had a mystery plant I bought at an FFA sale last year. It was supposed to be a flower (I bought a flat of them) but one ended up being a jalapeño plant. As it started to get bigger I just let it keep growing and was pretty surprised when the peppers started showing up. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
28 minutes ago, lexi said:

I think Fred is a she. ? It’s a pretty plant though!

Haha, that's what I told DH: Fred's a girl!!

Fred belongs to my oldest DD who, being at camp until Friday, has missed this momentous occasion.:p (I'm documenting with pictures and sending her update texts, lol).

On 5/16/2018 at 5:27 PM, Jean in Newcastle said:

Rainbow Resource isn't doing so well with delivering high quality goods as advertised. . .    (When you add this thread to the one about the weird plagiarized history workbook. . .)

Nevermind .   Already discussed.