Menu

Buried in Samples and Catalogs

theresa1926

Hi everyone! It's my first post here, so please kindly let me know if this is ok. I have a pre-k student and a preschooler right now, and we have been casually working our way through Before Five in a Row, A Year of Playing Skillfully, and AAR pre-reading. I've begun reading Well Trained Mind and loving it so far, but then I realized that I had the 3rd edition, so the 4th edition is on it's way to me now. 

I have spent night after night, day after day, blog after blog, reading about the various programs. We have our basic plan for kindergarten, but where I'm really getting stuck is history/LA for 1st and beyond. I'm trying to get an idea of what we will do now so I can make some gentle introductions during kinder if needed. I'm really drawn to both classical AND "living books." I understand that they are not mutually exclusive, but I struggle with finding the PERFECT thing for us; something I also find inspiring to teach. HELP! Here's our kinder plan, and the all of the options that I'm considering. Any advice or resources would be very welcome! Or, please feel free to add to my list to consider. 

Kinder: Five in a Row, AAR level 1, some sort of math (haven't chosen yet), Bede History of Me, Elemental Science Intro to Science, some principles from Brave Writer Jot it Down, some work books from Critical Thinking Co. 

Options: 

1 - Beautiful Feet Books - I'm so drawn to this curriculum! But, I don't think it's classical, really at all??

2 - Biblioplan

3 - Tapestry of Grace

4 - Sonlight - I've heard a lot of pro's and neg's here, but the catalog really speaks to me!

5 - Memoria Press 

6 - Some things from Logos, although some of their blog articles weren't my favorite.  

• Like 3

Put down the catalogues. Step AWAY from the catalogues....LOL

Seriously, it can be overwhelming. So... Stop planning grade one. Just stop. Do kindergarten, and this time next year plan grade one. You don't need to pre-teach stuff in kindergarten for grade one, so don't fret about the need to introduce it early.

Also? "Perfect" is the enemy of "getting it done"...

And work on kindergarten math instead of grade one language. ;) I really like Rightstart.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kiara.I said:

Seriously, it can be overwhelming. So... Stop planning grade one. Just stop. Do kindergarten, and this time next year plan grade one. You don't need to pre-teach stuff in kindergarten for grade one, so don't fret about the need to introduce it early.

And work on kindergarten math instead of grade one language. ;) I really like Rightstart.

Thank you!! :) So would AAR level 1 be for grade 1? 

Right start is a top contender! 

45 minutes ago, theresa1926 said:

Hi everyone! It's my first post here, so please kindly let me know if this is ok. I have a pre-k student and a preschooler right now, and we have been casually working our way through Before Five in a Row, A Year of Playing Skillfully, and AAR pre-reading. I've begun reading Well Trained Mind and loving it so far, but then I realized that I had the 3rd edition, so the 4th edition is on it's way to me now. 

I have spent night after night, day after day, blog after blog, reading about the various programs. We have our basic plan for kindergarten, but where I'm really getting stuck is history/LA for 1st and beyond. I'm trying to get an idea of what we will do now so I can make some gentle introductions during kinder if needed. I'm really drawn to both classical AND "living books." I understand that they are not mutually exclusive, but I struggle with finding the PERFECT thing for us; something I also find inspiring to teach. HELP! Here's our kinder plan, and the all of the options that I'm considering. Any advice or resources would be very welcome! Or, please feel free to add to my list to consider. 

Kinder: Five in a Row, AAR level 1, some sort of math (haven't chosen yet), Bede History of Me, Elemental Science Intro to Science, some principles from Brave Writer Jot it Down, some work books from Critical Thinking Co. 

Welcome to the boards! Sounds like you're doing great. Honestly, your list in bold looks so good, I don't know why you'd worry about adding anything else. If you were looking to dump something, it would be the Brave Writer Jot it Down. I like it a lot, but it's unnecessary for K5. If you like the Bede's History of Me, then know that VP in the early grades (K5 and 1st) says to focus on learning to read and just hit local history, holidays, that kind of thing. You can do field trips, hit the post office and fire department, that kind of thing. Go to your state parks, tour history sites. 

Are these boys or girls? You might roll with what they're interested in for some light studies too. Like my ds at that age was (and still is, lol) into military, so it was natural to read DK books about military stuff. I think your approach looks really solid for K5. I would just keep going in that vein, eschew programs, and then begin a history program in 1st or 2nd when reading is a little more solid. It's also ok to roll with the dc. Some will have a growth spurt mid-year, and then you can add a little something. But just as a starting point, you're looking good! Any plans for art? Not something hard, but the Djeco kits Timberdoodle sells are WONDERFUL. We've had a lot of happy hours with those. :)

Keep going and don't jump the gun. Have fun and enjoy exactly the stage you're in now. :)

• Like 1

Your excitement and energy are great, but that is too much for Kindy, imo. Keep it simple and focus on the basics: reading, math and penmanship. Everything else is gravy. Very short seat time work. 15 mins. Reading can be done on the sofa!

For everything else, we just read library books, spend LOTS of time outdoors, do crafts related to seasons amd holidays, go to the zoo and story-time, garden, read more books,  watch a few Magic Schoolbus videos or some WildKratts on bad weather days, build things, play dress up, read more books, eat snacks and take naps! 

It's homeschool, not school-school. Enjoy your littles while they are little. The years for more serious academics will be here soon enough. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, theresa1926 said:

I used RightStart with my dd and it gave us a lot of great memories, definitely recommend. My ds has SLDs, so I use Ronit Bird with him. But yeah, just roll with whatever your gut is drawn to. Math has the biggest learning curve as we learn how our kids learn. You may end up paying into the College of Homeschooling as Cathy Duffy puts it, lol. But that's ok. Have fun, work diligently, and in the end most of them are fine.

13 minutes ago, Kiara.I said:

Yes, this, exactly!

P. S. I like Right Start math too. 

3 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

For everything else, we just read library books, spend LOTS of time outdoors, do crafts related to seasons amd holidays, go to the zoo and story-time, garden, read more books,  watch a few Magic Schoolbus videos or some WildKratts on bad weather days, build things, play dress up, read more books, eat snacks and take naps! 

Yes! I used Exploring Nature with my ds around that age, and it was delightful. It's a simple ebook download, but it spurs you to take nature walks together that you can bump up with library books, etc. 

8 minutes ago, theresa1926 said:

Thank you!! :) So would AAR level 1 be for grade 1? 

I think AAR 1 is for whenever AAR pre-reading is mastered. It doesn't really matter whether your child flies through it over the summer or needs all next year, or more, on pre-reading still.

5 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Welcome to the boards! Sounds like you're doing great. Honestly, your list in bold looks so good, I don't know why you'd worry about adding anything else. If you like the Bede's History of Me, then know that VP in the early grades (K5 and 1st) says to focus on learning to read and just hit local history, holidays, that kind of thing. You can do field trips, hit the post office and fire department, that kind of thing. Go to your state parks, tour history sites. 

Are these boys or girls? You might roll with what they're interested in for some light studies too. Like my ds at that age was (and still is, lol) into military, so it was natural to read DK books about military stuff. I think your approach looks really solid for K5. I would just keep going in that vein, eschew programs, and then begin a history program in 1st or 2nd when reading is a little more solid. It's also ok to roll with the dc. Some will have a growth spurt mid-year, and then you can add a little something. But just as a starting point, you're looking good! Any plans for art? Not something hard, but the Djeco kits Timberdoodle sells are WONDERFUL. We've had a lot of happy hours with those. :)

Keep going and don't jump the gun. Have fun and enjoy exactly the stage you're in now. :)

Thank you! I'll check out that program out! That sounds like what I'd be looking for. I'm jumping the gun a little bit because there's a big likelihood I might have an infant next year messing with my schedule ;) 

My pre-k kiddo is a boy. He has a really big interest in nature and books. He's just starting to get into drawing, and so I might explore that more. Thanks for the art tips! I'll check that out. We will be continuing a Year of Playing Skillfully for my 3 year old girl, and he will likely join in on the sensory play too. 

It's a relief to hear that my k plan is looking alright :D 

I thought I’d chime in as I use some of the same curriculum. 

Dont stress about next year. Your plan could change as you determine a certain curriculum isn’t a good fit. 

There is no perfect curriculum. The perfect curriculum is the one that gets done (and that is mostly enjoyable). 

For K I use AAR (either PreLevel or Level 1 depending on my kiddos). I use RS A. We do Lollipop Logic from Prufrock Press and a few logic books from Critical Thinking Company. We read a bunch of simple science books from the Lets Read and Find Out Series. And then my K kiddos listen is as I read history books from Master Books. We’re doing America’s Story this year. 

I don’t do any writing (other than practice handwriting on a small whiteboard). And I don’t even think about grammar or spelling. We focus on reading and math and lots of read alouds. I keep it simple as a mamma to 6 (soon to be 7). 

So I think your plan sounds great but don’t be afraid to scale back especially in writing. Don’t worry too much about science or history (other than reading books determined by your child’s interests). Add in some art and some fun sensory play and I think you’ll have a great year. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, theresa1926 said:

Thank you! I'll check out that program out! That sounds like what I'd be looking for. I'm jumping the gun a little bit because there's a big likelihood I might have an infant next year messing with my schedule ;) 

Maybe what you want to do is the opposite then and wait on formal history efforts until your kids are 7,5,3, kwim? Or 8,6,4... Until then, just continue your lit-driven, exploration, broad approach. VP doesn't begin their formal sequence until 2nd. If you wait, you can do your kids more together. :)

I feel like that's too much for the majority of kindergarteners. FIAR + one thing for phonics + one thing for math = PLENTY. Of course, some kids are fast workers, voracious for more formal schooling... but for any given kindergarten kid, that would be too much as a starting point in my mind.

I would start with FIAR, the AAR, and the math you pick (Right Start A is a great choice, though MEP and Miquon are both favorites of mine personally). See how it goes. Then, if you have plenty of time in your days and want more, add one more thing. Then, if there's still time, add something else. And so forth. Not only will it let you ease in, it may save you money.

ETA: Also, while it's exciting and the catalogs are so much fun to look at (seriously, fun, I get it!) holding back a little lets you spread that out. And the vast majority of us need injections of fun, new things throughout the year to keep everyone engaged (including us, as the teachers). You get to spread out the fun... or, again, recognize that you don't need more and save the cash.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I usually wait until December before I start looking ahead to the next year.  It gives me a chance to see if what we're doing is working, if we like it, and what reviews are on some of the other things I keep on my periphery.
And honestly, it's easiest to start with honing your personal philosophy than it is to pick a curriculum from hundreds.  When you know how you work, how your kid responds, and a general direction of where you want to go, you narrow choices considerably.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Drop science and critical thinking (I am a science teacher, it’s perfectly ok, in fact preferable).  There’s serious work in the ages 4-8 that involves PLAY, exploration, learning right and wrong, developing sense of self in relation to family, improving physical coordination and muscle strength, self-regulation, developing empathy... Really for K you are fine with only reading, being read to, handwriting, and basic numeracy.  Play games, read books, watch water in a stream, listen to music, talk about pictures she draws... 

People gave me similar advice when my oldest was 4, and I didn’t listen because my child was “ready” (indeed she was precocious and capable but she missed out on some childhood fun).  Guessing that most people who I give the “less is more, better late than early” spiel to are like I was and really just wanted curriculum recommendations I will give you those: stick with your reading program, add HWOT or other handwriting, and choose a good conceptual math like RS A, Miquon, or Singapore Early Bird. For everything else read and play, take field trips, work in the garden, eat cookies and watch your favorite book as a movie... enjoy the loveliness of the age.

• Like 4

What they said.  I only started homeschooling last year but have been on the afterschooling  boards and others longer.  Keep it simple.  Buy some nature guides and a magnifying glass and keep them with you.  If like me you need structure have designated times/days for library, pre school music, walks etc.  And my kids got a lot of science from magic school bus, sid the science kid and random other DVDs so use them for your benefit especially when you have a new baby.

• Like 1

I agree that the only essentials here are the reading , math , handwriting and having a habit of doing those most every day.

But I would disagree that the FIAR, history and science is “too much”. The curriculum you picked are mostly read and play anyway,  they just give you structure to your reading and playing, But those are the things I would hold loosely if you or your kid are just done for the day And don’t feel bad dropping it if he takes the whole morning melting down about something else. 

Honestly for me it is the non essential (at this age , anyway) that brings the spark for me and what the kids really enjoy , but they are still not necessary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Targhee said:

Drop science and critical thinking (I am a science teacher, it’s perfectly ok, in fact preferable).  There’s serious work in the ages 4-8 that involves PLAY, exploration, learning right and wrong, developing sense of self in relation to family, improving physical coordination and muscle strength, self-regulation, developing empathy... Really for K you are fine with only reading, being read to, handwriting, and basic numeracy.  Play games, read books, watch water in a stream, listen to music, talk about pictures she draws... 

People gave me similar advice when my oldest was 4, and I didn’t listen because my child was “ready” (indeed she was precocious and capable but she missed out on some childhood fun).  Guessing that most people who I give the “less is more, better late than early” spiel to are like I was and really just wanted curriculum recommendations I will give you those: stick with your reading program, add HWOT or other handwriting, and choose a good conceptual math like RS A, Miquon, or Singapore Early Bird. For everything else read and play, take field trips, work in the garden, eat cookies and watch your favorite book as a movie... enjoy the loveliness of the age.

The Elemental Science intro to science is really just a simple nature study and work from the book mudpies and magnets :) It's less of a curriculum than it sounds. I'm really planning on it really to give me inspiration. 

And, I forgot to mention HWOT! I am planning on that too! 

Thanks for the advice!

40 minutes ago, theresa1926 said:

The Elemental Science intro to science is really just a simple nature study and work from the book mudpies and magnets :) It's less of a curriculum than it sounds. I'm really planning on it really to give me inspiration. 

And, I forgot to mention HWOT! I am planning on that too! 

Thanks for the advice!

Do it if you need the structure. But, kids are natural scientists in how they explore their world, and we often break them of it with imposed structures and then try to rebuild it later.  I haven't read the 4th (or 3rd) ed of TWTM (I have 2nd), but I agree with*very* little of its science approach recommendations. 

On 4/18/2018 at 10:49 AM, theresa1926 said:

Options: 

1 - Beautiful Feet Books - I'm so drawn to this curriculum! But, I don't think it's classical, really at all??

2 - Biblioplan

3 - Tapestry of Grace

4 - Sonlight - I've heard a lot of pro's and neg's here, but the catalog really speaks to me!

5 - Memoria Press 

6 - Some things from Logos, although some of their blog articles weren't my favorite.  

See, the thing is that you only have to choose something for one year. You don't have to think past *now.* Do Beautiful Feet Books. When you're finished with that, either do the next one or do something else. By then you'll have some experience and it may be easier for you to choose. In other words, the most important thing is to *pick something.* It almost doesn't matter what you pick, because if it turns out not to be what you want, you can do something else. No big deal.

For "language arts" for a little person who's just five, you really only need something for phonics/reading and something for penmanship. You can always do the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, if you like the WTM methodology. :-) Or you can continue with AAR/AAS. Either one would be fine.

• Thanks 1

You will NEVER find the perfect thing, so throw that idea out. I suggest just getting started with kindergarten and seeing what works for your family. Then go with that. There is nothing you need to do in kindergarten to make sure you are prepared for 1st grade.