Menu

Snack or Convenience Food Gone-By: What Do You Miss?

unsinkable

I miss a couple of snacks I could get when I was overseas. Specifically, melon Fanta and Nestle Violet Crumble candy bars (my ship's store picked them up somewhere, and I might possibly have been the only person on the ship to ever buy one...I eventually bought them out).

Things I really liked in childhood are mostly still around, but don't taste as good now, or I just can't bring myself to eat knowing how horrible they are:

Vienna Sausages

Spaghetti-Os (tried to feed some to my DD when she was four or five...she wouldn't eat them!)

Nutty Buddies (wafers, peanut butter, coated in chocolate, from Little Debbie or Hostess, I'm not sure)

Ding-Dongs

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Burger King used to have a chicken sandwich that was very thin and flat. It must be almost twenty years since I've had one, and I'm still sad about it.

Yes!  And it was smothered in mayonnaise.  I suspect it's one of those things that would not be as good to my more mature taste buds, but I loved them back in the day.  Several years ago, I did get the current BK chicken sandwich (my first and last trip into BK in 20 years), and it wasn't the same.  Well, I didn't like it; maybe it WAS the same, and my memory was faulty.

1 hour ago, plansrme said:

Yes!  And it was smothered in mayonnaise.  I suspect it's one of those things that would not be as good to my more mature taste buds, but I loved them back in the day.  Several years ago, I did get the current BK chicken sandwich (my first and last trip into BK in 20 years), and it wasn't the same.  Well, I didn't like it; maybe it WAS the same, and my memory was faulty.

Nope, the current BK chicken sandwich is definitely not the same. Actually, they have two chicken sandwich styles now, and neither is the one I loved.

They stopped selling Bassett's Licorice All Sorts in the US. Argggghhhhh! This is my all time favorite candy and the crappy Gustaf's knock offs are not.the.same.

They still make Bassett's in the UK so I sometimes spend ridiculous amounts of money for a fix from Amazon. I guess it could be worse and they could discontinue them entirely.

Oh the positive side, Amazon sells Chipurnoi licorice menthol chips from Italy. There was a department store in my youth that sold these at the candy counter. My sister and I were the only non-chainsmokers who bought them. If anything they're even better now because they're fresher. I get them in my subscribe and save every month.