Menu

Kitchen Aid mixer--5 or 7 qt?

Peplophoros

Ok, so I'm finally biting the bullet and getting a Kitchen Aid.  I guess I'm a "normal" baker--I don't make huge batches of things, but I do like to bake bread, cookies, etc., double sometimes triple recipe. 

I have 6 kids.  Some friends say stay with the 5 qt (my kitchen is fairly small), some say go with the 7 qt. (money is an issue, but I'll shell out for the 7 qt if need be). 

Thoughts?

For me, 5 quart fits on my counter and beneath the upper cabinet, a 7 quart would not. So while I occasionally double a cookie recipe and I do have to cut my 6-loaf bread recipe in half, I simply can't have a mixer that I can't store on my counter.

What do you make? Are you willing to do multiple batches?  Four kids here, and we regularly fill up our 5 qt mixer and have to do multiple batches.

My mixer holds 2 loaves of bread, 24-36 cookies, and shreds half of our batch of cooked chicken.

A 7 qt mixer holds 14 cups of flour...... 

I love my 5 qt, but she has started to leak oil out of her motor after 18 years of use. When she dies (if she dies), if I have more than 2 kids at home, I'll get the 7 qt mixer.

I do a lot of baking. Mostly one cake at a time, normal sized batches of other things. My 5 quart mixer does knead dough for two, 9" loaves of bread though. The 5 quart is perfect for me.

One thing I have found to be extremely helpful is to have two bowls, especially if you make the kinds of desserts that require egg whites to be beaten separately from other ingredients.

there have been times - my 5qt has NOT been big enough.  I had issues with the 6 quart for small batches (it ended up being returned) - but they do have a smaller bowel and whisk/beater to use for smaller batches.

I would have to push dh to try again for that bigger mixer - but my girls are gone (one has at 6, one has a 5 - but covets the 7) and my boys will be gone in a couple years (they're both college jrs.)  ds's gf (they're talking marriage.) wants a professional 10qt.

but, it's not just bowl size - also look at the motor power.  (which can be confusing.)

eta: - for me, I may not need a bigger one, as we dont' do as much baking en masse as we used to do.

Edited by gardenmom5

I regulatly make yeasted doughs that have 1000g of flour plus the liquids to hydrate the dough and find my 5qt is too small. I make it work, but a larger KA mixer would be better. If I was making standard bread/cookie/cake recipes, the 5qt would probably be enough. I hate the tilt head, though.

I regulatly make yeasted doughs that have 1000g of flour plus the liquids to hydrate the dough and find my 5qt is too small. I make it work, but a larger KA mixer would be better. If I was making standard bread/cookie/cake recipes, the 5qt would probably be enough. I hate the tilt head, though.

My 5 qt doesn’t have a tilt head. The tilt heads I’ve seen are even smaller than 5qts.

My 5 qt doesn’t have a tilt head. The tilt heads I’ve seen are even smaller than 5qts.

My 5qt does - http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-%5BKSM150PSSM%5D-400120/KSM150PSSM/

ETA: When I got mine 16 years ago, I don’t believe there were any other sizes in the tilt head, maybe 4.5qts (maybe). My mom’s tilt head (which is older than mine) is also a 5qt.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 1

I guess it’s good they have a larger tilt head for people who don’t like the lift. I prefer the lift one.

I was at Target recently and they were selling a positively tiny tilt head one and I was like “what is this for?†It looked like a baby mixer.

https://www.target.com/p/kitchenaid-174-artisan-mini-3-5-quart-tilt-head-stand-mixer-ksm3311x/-/A-51096487?preselect=51003073#lnk=sametab

Edited by LucyStoner

My 5qt does - http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/-%5BKSM150PSSM%5D-400120/KSM150PSSM/

ETA: When I got mine 16 years ago, I don’t believe there were any other sizes in the tilt head, maybe 4.5qts (maybe). My mom’s tilt head (which is older than mine) is also a 5qt.

Our mixers are the same age. My dad gave it to us when we got married. I don’t remember what was available because I didn’t shop for it. It was an unexpected gift, we didn’t have a registry. I guess that means my marriage is 16 years old too. I’m not sure how that happened. I tend to think we’ve been married “about 10 yearsâ€. :P Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

I guess it’s good they have a larger tilt head for people who don’t like the lift. I prefer the lift one.

I was at Target recently and they were selling a positively tiny tilt head one and I was like “what is this for?†It looked like a baby mixer.

I believe based upon the KA website that those are from the Artisan mini line. 3.5qt I think.

Kohl's sells the 5qt Artisan tilt head and the 3.5qt Artisan Mini from what I saw when we were there yesterday. In fact, I have not seen a KA lift at Kohls in anything smaller than the 6qt. I haven’t been to the KA store by my ILs in years, but the last time I was there, I think the smallest lift mixer I saw was 6qt. That’s pretty much the extent of my KA mixer size knowledge. :)

I have 5 kids and my 6 qt is fine for cookies, but I wish I had more capacity for bread/pizza doughs. 

What about a bosch mixer instead?  I wish I knew those existed when I got my KA.  However, I do think the KA looks better on the counter.

Our mixers are the same age. My dad gave it to us when we got married. I don’t remember what was available because I didn’t shop for it. It was an unexpected gift, we didn’t have a registry. I guess that means my marriage is 16 years old too. I’m not sure how that happened. I tend to think we’ve been married “about 10 yearsâ€. :P

Lol, I do the same thing!