Menu

Seeking Adderral info. and experiences

IfIOnly

I think some of you know that I suffer from depression but unfortunately do not respond well to the many antidepressants (serotonin reuptake inhibitors) I've tried. They lift the depression wonderfully, amazingly but, sadly, also give me horrible insomnia that even taking Ambien as well doesn't get me a decent night's rest. My new and first psychiatrist is trying a different approach and believes I also suffer from ADD, so today she prescribed Adderall (dopamine.) She told me, strange as it sounds, Adderall can be an effective treatment for resistant depression as well. I had never heart that before! She starting me of with a super low dose at my request, and we'll go up from there if needed. I'm a little hopeful again of stepping out of this nightmare of depression, but we'll see.

I'd love, love to hear experiences. Side effects? Like I know some drugs have horrible side effects like liver damage, and so milk thistle can be taken to protect the liver as well. Also, I'm also a bit freaked out because my psyc mentioned that Adderall is one of the drugs (the top drug?) in demand in the black market. It's basically meth without the side effects or something? I didn't totally get what she was saying. She cautioned me not to tell anyone I know about my RX because it's a drug that is in demand and can be targeted for theft. So, yeah, that's freaky.

Edited by IfIOnly

Given that sleep disturbances is a common side effect of stimulant ADHD medications, I'm really surprised that your doctor would prescribe that to you with a known insomnia issue.

I know. Seriously.  I asked her directly about that. She said that with the ADHD med. it only stay in the system 4-6  hours of so vs. antidepressants that stay in the system continuously. It's laughable that I"m even trying to explain what she said, but it was something like that.  She said that she hopes I'll be on of the people that sleeps better with it. 

Actually, I was prescribed Ritalin for depression.  I was given short acting in concert with an antidepressant and trazodone at night for insomnia.

Interesting. Good to know. Trazadone keeps me awake, grr, but I'm so glad that works for you. She's prescribing me the short acting vs. time release.

Given that sleep disturbances is a common side effect of stimulant ADHD medications, I'm really surprised that your doctor would prescribe that to you with a known insomnia issue.

I'm not ADHD, just ADD, I think? No hyperactivity. 

I don't have any ADD of any sort, but stimulants are a third line treatment for treatment resistant depression.

Oh, interesting. It's hard  I think because some of the symptoms of each overlap. I've been depressed for a really long time, and my ability to think and communicate is severely impaired, but what I was getting from the doctor is that she does think I have ADD too. 

Honestly, my psychiatrist's argument was, "It's in and out of your system in six hours.  It's certainly worth trying." 

That was logic that made sense to me.  It's an easy thing to try.

Oh, I totally agree. I would try anything, ANYTHING if it would help, even just a bit. I'd drink just veggie juices the rest of my life if it would help although no natural or RX treatment has worked for me in the past. Do you take a morning and afternoon dose? I'm wondering if I'll have to play with that afternoon dose to avoid any severe sleep issues. 

For me, Adderall worked well for the symptoms it was treating, but the side effects were too much for me at the "right" dosage.  

-sleep disturbances

-appetite suppression

-major dry mouth

The sleep disturbances weren't terrible with the proper dosage timing, but that meant I'd slump after dinner time. I thought the appetite suppression was an awesome thing, since I did have weight to lose, but then people started to ask me if I was sick.  It wasn't a healthy weight loss!  The dry mouth actually bothered me the most, because it lasted most of the day.

But it really does impact everyone differently.  I know plenty of people who do well with it, just not me!

• Like 1

If it targets dopamine that makes sense, my ex-husband's depression only responded to drugs that also targeted dopamine - effexor was what he took/takes. But that one does serotonin too.

My son has mild depression and ADHD and did take Vyvanse which is similar to Adderal and it did maybe help his mood. BUT...if he ran out and didn't refill immediately the depression got WAY WAY worse. So be cautious of that. He's stopped taking it now because he found other ways to manage the depression and ADHD and doesn't want to risk aggravating it by going on and off the ADHD meds - and he KNOWS he'll end up forgetting to refill again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it kept me awake even with just 5 mg once a day taken at 5 am. I felt normalish and human and good for the time I took it though. It was really nice to have a few days of not suffering and hope anyway. I'm just really sad to be back in this horrible place again.

Well, it kept me awake even with just 5 mg once a day taken at 5 am. I felt normalish and human and good for the time I took it though. It was really nice to have a few days of not suffering and hope anyway. I'm just really sad to be back in this horrible place again.

I think I'd be wondering if you have a metabolic issue that could be fixed since this happens with different classes of meds. I am so sorry it's not going to be a fix for you!

• Like 2

I think I'd be wondering if you have a metabolic issue that could be fixed since this happens with different classes of meds. I am so sorry it's not going to be a fix for you!

Thanks! I'll look into that. It happens with minute amounts: of b vitamins, vitamin d, iron, zinc, adrenal support supplements, and the list goes on. Basically anything that helps also affects my sleep.

there are ADHD rx that aren't stimulants.   ds is responding wonderfully to guanfacine...we pushed his dose up to the max to see how he would respond.  it knocks him out.  a lower does was very helpful with his adhd symptoms.   (- a *side effect* is to reduce anxiety.)