Menu

Dr. Hive, what is wrong with my mouth? Is it cankers?

Kanin

My mouth is killing me! It started off feeling and looking like two little cankers on the inside of my lip. Then the WHOLE area inside my lip turned inflamed and painful, and now the underside of my tongue and behind my bottom front teeth really hurts. It looks like all the little bumps under my tongue that are normally there have gotten swollen. What the heck is this? I've had cankers before lots of times... is this just cankers gone wild?

I tried a new toothpaste a few days ago, so I'm taking a break from it. I didn't see any ingredients in there that would cause a problem, though.

I’ve had this happen TWICE and both times I was on a trip so seeing my doctor wasn’t an option. It was crazy- it started with a tiny sore on the inside of my lip- kind of like if a sharp tooth rubbed a spot. But oh when the gums behind my bottom teeth got sore and the little glands under my tongue swelled up....agony.

I has wondered if mine was stress related since both times I was caring for my in laws.

So...no answers for you but definitely sympathy.

I’ve had this happen TWICE and both times I was on a trip so seeing my doctor wasn’t an option. It was crazy- it started with a tiny sore on the inside of my lip- kind of like if a sharp tooth rubbed a spot. But oh when the gums behind my bottom teeth got sore and the little glands under my tongue swelled up....agony.

I has wondered if mine was stress related since both times I was caring for my in laws.

So...no answers for you but definitely sympathy.

Thanks for the sympathy :-) I can't believe it happened to you both times when you were away from home! Stress would make sense in that case, probably. 

And YES the gums behind my teeth are sore and feel raw! What the heck! I think there may be little tiny cankers or something there, but it's kinda hard to see. I'll probably swish with some diluted apple cider vinegar... that's my go-to for ailments and it usually helps.

• Like 1

$1500 is a great deductible in my region (unless your employer is covering it, of course).

I would say typical deductible around here is $6k or so.

Thrush is pretty unlikely unless your immune system is really low or you're (uncontrolled) diabetic or something.  My guess is allergic reaction.

• Like 1

If there is a chance that it’s canker sores, have you tried swishing plain yogurt around in your mouth? If you can do it several times a day, that might be helpful. Alternatively, you can also buy lysine capsules, open them up, and dissolve the contents in a little bit of water and swish that around your mouth. The plain yogurt is easier, though.

• Like 2

I've been dairy-free for a few weeks, but I just bought some plain yogurt. Thank you for the suggestion!

The longer you can hold the yogurt in your mouth, the better, and if you can do it every hour or so (not a lot of yogurt — just a big spoonful or so each time,) it seems to help a lot.

I hope it works for you!