Menu

Poll: 2 move related options

Ethel Mertz

Which makes the most sense?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. To ship or to drive?

• Have UPS pack and ship the items
    • Drive an extra 1600 miles round trip to get items

Situation: our movers left a few items behind ranging from an area rug to a camp stove to boxes of important papers and photos. One of us is at the new location already. We have 3 cats and a teen to get to new locale. The person at old locale wants to rent a van and drive teen, cats, and miscellaneous items to new locale. Then this person would drive the van back to old locale (can only get a round trip rental) and drive family car to new locale. This plan would add an additional 1600 miles of driving. Driver is exhausted from packing, has cataracts, and experiences back pain on long trips.

Person at new locale says let UPS pick up, pack, and ship the items to new locale - after deciding which items are important to keep. Note: There is only one driver in the family.

Thanks for the responses! Good thought about a friend who could drive, but there isn't any one who can really do that. The lack of one way rentals appears to be a condition of the uhaul rental at old locale. Pod! Excellent thought. Will check that out.

I'm fine about ditching most of the items. We'll see what transpires tomorrow and I'll update. Thanks for the responses!

Will the family car pull a small trailer?  If I *really* wanted the rug and stove, I'd rent the smallest closed U-Haul trailer (which is 4ft long, I think), and pull it to the new location, one way.  UPS would probably charge as much as a trailer rental to ship a heavy rug and stove.

But, I'd be more likely to donate those larger items and just bring whatever will fit in the car.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 3

I'd want to check moving company paperwork. Was one of your family responsible for checking off that items were on truck? Or was there an inventory? People often want to move family photos and papers themselves, so movers could have assumed?

In any case, moving contracts usually have a deductible, so they might be able to wiggle out of fixing the mistake. Btw, I wouldn't complain to the movers until the truck is unloaded safely at your new location.

Trailer hitches are expensive, might not be worth it if the Outback is older.

Good luck!

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

It doesn't sound to me like a one-way rental would solve the problem in that the family car would still be at the original location.  Can the person at the new location rent a van at the new location, drive to the old location and pick items up, while the person at the old location drives the family car to the new location?  

Thanks for the responses! Good thought about a friend who could drive, but there isn't any one who can really do that. The lack of one way rentals appears to be a condition of the uhaul rental at old locale. Pod! Excellent thought. Will check that out.

I'm fine about ditching most of the items. We'll see what transpires tomorrow and I'll update. Thanks for the responses!

I would check out other uhaul locations to see if their policies are different.  I know it was for car rentals, and they just had a fee for dropping it off somewhere else.

I'd also check into a small trailer - after the moving company, as they should fix this.