Menu

Schooling from a kindle: Language arts for a first grader?

madteaparty

She reads (finally), level is Frog and Toad type books. Will bring some handwriting practice notebooks as they’re not doing that in school anyway.

Can you recommend a language arts program or two that I can do straight from the kindle? Many thanks!

Edited by madteaparty

I don't think she is quite there yet, age wise, but I could be wrong but when you do get there...MCT's grammar with the digital version is great.  We use the iPad though.  I like that they type the answers in and it is self check.  I am not sure if this works for kindle?  We purchased ours through iTunes iBooks.  

• Like 1

I don't think she is quite there yet, age wise, but I could be wrong but when you do get there...MCT's grammar with the digital version is great. We use the iPad though. I like that they type the answers in and it is self check. I am not sure if this works for kindle? We purchased ours through iTunes iBooks.

Ha, grammar is one thing we don’t study. And I dislike the MCT program (I know I know, unlike everyone else on this board—there’s a theme).

I started homeschooling DS in 4th grade. DD’s public has worked well for us thus far so I’ve never really looked at curriculum for this age...

• Like 2

Ha, grammar is one thing we don’t study. And I dislike the MCT program (I know I know, unlike everyone else on this board—there’s a theme).

I started homeschooling DS in 4th grade. DD’s public has worked well for us thus far so I’ve never really looked at curriculum for this age...

We have used BJU Grammar along the way.  We aren't really MCT fans ourselves because we don't have much experience there.  I purchased the digital version of Grammar Island because DS loves to read those types of books and he has thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  We aren't using the full program (at least not now, maybe in the future we will?). 

Edited by Attolia

First Language Lessons is on Kindle.

Writing With Ease can be downloaded as a pdf and you can print the student sheets before you go out.

Daily Language Review from Evan-Moor comes as pdfs.

Loads of good books to read. Something to practice phonics?

My first grader is just doing FLL, WWE style writing, and reading loads of good books. He wasn't quite ready for spelling. The copywork is his penmanship. It's plenty.

• Like 2

Writing With Ease can be downloaded as a pdf and you can print the student sheets before you go out.

My first grader is just doing FLL, WWE style writing, and reading loads of good books. He wasn't quite ready for spelling. The copywork is his penmanship. It's plenty.

This is great!  Why have I never thought of this.  We love WWE.  

Hooked on phonics used to have an app?  Maybe not for Kindle though?

Thanks so much. We won’t have a printer. Do you assign copy work from the reading or does FLL have some?
  • Like 1

Thanks so much. We won’t have a printer. Do you assign copy work from the reading or does FLL have some?

I believe the FLL on Kindle doesn't have much writing assigned, since it was updated to blend better with WWE. The older combined levels 1 and 2 book had more copywork in it, but I don't recall it ever being on Kindle.

My older kids all had handmade copywork from their reading. It worked wonderfully. For the last kid I payed for the WWE pages for the ease of use. :) If you like WWE you could just write the copywork at the top of tablet paper instead of printing.

• Like 1

I use FLL and WWE with my first grader. All writing from both programs is put into a composition book (you can use 3 lines for a letter instead of just 2, if that makes sense). That way you have have the FLL and WWE PDFs on you kindle, and all writing goes into one comp book.

We're also able to fit spelling lists and tests into the same comp book, so ALL LA writing is in one book.

• Like 1

I was just extrapolating from our home where the only school application we use Kindles for is Anki and they are often critically low on charge once they are located. (Eyeroll, plug then in when you put them down, people!) I just have them huddle next to an outlet, but that might not be convenient if you are traveling. Having a portable battery would be comparable to having a box of pencils on hand so your school day does not get derailed looking for a writing device.

That said, some airplanes and many trains are now equipped with usb charging plugs. So staying powered during the travel might not be hard.

Last time we traveled we had occasional nights where we didn't have enough converters to charge all the devices we were traveling with. First world problem that could be solved with either more converters or a battery.

I hope you will be sharing posts about your travels so the rest of us can enjoy your experiences vicariously!

• Like 1

I was just extrapolating from our home where the only school application we use Kindles for is Anki and they are often critically low on charge once they are located. (Eyeroll, plug then in when you put them down, people!) I just have them huddle next to an outlet, but that might not be convenient if you are traveling. Having a portable battery would be comparable to having a box of pencils on hand so your school day does not get derailed looking for a writing device.

That said, some airplanes and many trains are now equipped with usb charging plugs. So staying powered during the travel might not be hard.

Last time we traveled we had occasional nights where we didn't have enough converters to charge all the devices we were traveling with. First world problem that could be solved with either more converters or a battery.

I hope you will be sharing posts about your travels so the rest of us can enjoy your experiences vicariously!

I think we will keep a family diary/blog just so I remember what we did when I’m old and wondering why DH isn’t able to retire 😂. I’ll think about sharing it once I get over the privacy issues I have. You know us already so I will send a link once it’s up and happening.
  • Like 1

What about this? It’s free

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=treadwell&book=primer&story=_contents

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=treadwell&book=first&story=_contents

And just have her copy a sentence or two from there.

I would also get a notebook for her and let her draw things she sees and write couple of sentences about it.

Edited by Roadrunner

What about this? It’s free

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=treadwell&book=primer&story=_contents

http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=treadwell&book=first&story=_contents

And just have her copy a sentence or two from there.

I would also get a notebook for her and let her draw things she sees and write couple of sentences about it.

That’s really good, thank you.

My 2p........

We used FLL briefly when it first came out before Kindles. We liked it and I think it would work well with the way you are going to be traveling. I think it will get the job done. Don’t overthink.

One of the best things I did during our big move was buy notebooks in the style of Draw Write Now. The top half of the page was blank for a drawing and the bottom half had big lines for handwriting practice. My kids drew a picture and wrote what we had done most days. Easy to do in the evening when winding down the day. These books are treasures. Pretty sure they came from Rainbow Resources.

• Like 1

I have to say, either I am really dumb, or buying a kiddie kindle fire was a mistake. I cannot figure out how to add these amazing free archive.org or google books. Parental controls or something. I will try the paid stuff now, FLL and WWE etc before I hurl this thing into the snow bank.

I almost threw my fire when I was trying to figure out how to download, sort, & easily access pdfs. The struggle is real.

You may need to sideload outside books. Not sure how to do that on a kindle, but I'm sure instructions are out there.

I never could figure out the emailing part. I got it emailed, but I couldn't get it to save in my kindle library. I guess it was the wrong file type.

At any rate, I ended up downloading Amazon Drive to save, sort, & access my pdfs. Bonus is that it works like Google Drive and I can access them on multiple devices (although I guess if it's in my kindle library, I could do the same, but I digress).

Edited by YodaGirl
  • Like 1

By way of update in case it’s of use to anyone else, archive.org does give you the option to download in the kindle format, but at least for the ones I tried doing this (Elson readers), the conversion results in some jibberish thereby rendering it useless. I ended up either buying the kindle version if available (at least one of the My bookhouse and some readers are), or downloading the PDFs onto my google drive to access on my laptop (did this with dS’s french workbooks for example).

I will look into the amazon drive once I gather some renewed steam :)

Thanks so much everyone.

• Like 1

I have to say, either I am really dumb, or buying a kiddie kindle fire was a mistake. I cannot figure out how to add these amazing free archive.org or google books. Parental controls or something. I will try the paid stuff now, FLL and WWE etc before I hurl this thing into the snow bank. 

If the primary use is to read books, yes. The Kindle ereader would have been better. The battery lasts longer too.

I use a computer to download and drop into my kindle app. I have a Samsung.

We use EM Grammar, RLTL, copywork, Brave Writer Lifestyle and some IEW techniques with SOTW review cards. Other options include English Lessons Through Literature, Reader's Theater, Serl, Maxwell, SWB and Natural Speller.

• Like 1