Menu

Republic Wireless

DawnM

I had it years ago for a brief time.  It was unlimited talk/text/data on 3g for $25, 4g was $40. Sprint based with Verizon roaming.

Now I see they have completely changed.  They use ATT towers now????  And you pay for data by the gig?

My question:

If I get the 2gb data for $10 (data portion of $5 per gig) and I get to the 2gb limit, what happens?  Does the data shut off or do I just get charged $5 per fb after that?

I am considering getting RW for my son in college, but he pays no attention to the data amounts until we look and tell him.  I would love something that would just auto shut off or have unlimited but throttle after a certain amount.

• Like 1

He's just out of data. He could always add more, but they don't just add it for him.

ETA: at least this is how it's been with every other RW plan. Ds18 is the only one on the most current billing plan and he has never bought data. (Four of us are on RW and we've been with them for 4 years, so we're on different billing plans since you keep the plan you're on if they change their model)

Edited by JudoMom

My understanding with Republic Wireless is when you are out of data, there is no data until the next billing cycle - unless you upgrade your plan.

And Republic seems to use a variety of cell towers. My last phone used AT&T. This phone used T-Mobile- which is awful for some of the rural areas I drive through - but RW tells me that this phone can only use T-Mobile towers. So, if you get a phone, verify that they can change the service provider towers- usually they are fairly agreeable about doing that. 

• Like 1

We've had republic wireless for like 4 years.  We all just upgraded our phones for the first time since switching to them.  It's been good for us.  We don't even have data plans - we just use unlimited talk/text and need wireless for smart phone capabilities. Both my DH and I have small data plans on our iPads for maps, lightweight stuff on the road.

I would check what towers they use locally for you.  We live near a major metro and have not had issues with coverage at all.

If I get the 2gb data for $10 (data portion of $5 per gig) and I get to the 2gb limit, what happens? Does the data shut off or do I just get charged $5 per fb after that?

I am considering getting RW for my son in college, but he pays no attention to the data amounts until we look and tell him. I would love something that would just auto shut off or have unlimited but throttle after a certain amount.

If he's got reliable access to WiFi (home, school, dorm, etc) then I can't imagine he would need 2G. I'm on the 1G plan, stare at my phone waaaaayyyy too much, and have only every run out of data once. I noticed the day before and just paid the extra $5 for another 1G for the rest of the month. (This was last month, I didn't realize that my home wifi was on the fritz.) Edited by Noreen Claire
  • Like 1

If he's got reliable access to WiFi (home, school, dorm, etc) then I can't imagine he would need 2G. I'm on the 1G plan, stare at my phone waaaaayyyy too much, and have only every run out of data once. I noticed the day before and just paid the extra $5 for another 1G for the rest of the month. (This was last month, I didn't realize that my home wifi was on the fritz.)

Apparently they are having bigger issues with wifi this year and everytime it kicks off, his phone switches to LTE data and doesn't switch back unless he manually does it and he keeps forgetting.  He blew through 10gb in 2 weeks with all the updates he has on auto-set for his games, etc....

We had to shut off his data manually from our plan for the remainder of the month. 

He didn't mean to, but I think an auto-shut-off after XX amount of data would be helpful.

This is my Asperger's child who doesn't always think about this stuff.  

We may not switch him, but I am looking into it a bit.

We've had RW for over three years.  I have still have my original phone and $10 monthly plan.  Both of my kids have updated their phones and plans in the last year.

My son is the only one with a monthly data plan.  Currently, he has 1gb a month for $20.  They send me emails when he has something like 25% left for the month and then a few more times as he gets closer to having 0 data.  I do believe they also send me an email when he is completely out of data for the month.  When he is out of data-he is out.  It resets automatically on the first day of our billing cycle.

My daughter has the $15 a month plan without data.  Recently we traveled out of state.  I was able to make a one time purchase of 2 gb's of data for her to use.  I had the option of choosing how much data we wanted.  Each gb was $5.00.  She has not run out so I can not say how they will handle it at their end.  I am guessing I will receive emails when she gets close to end of the 2gbs.  

We did have some issues with my son's new phone when they switched their phones and towers to T-Mobile which has very poor to no service where I live.  They have since added back Sprint (I believe) and replaced his phone for us free of charge.  His phone has been working fine since the switch back.

Daughter's new phone has no issues.

Make sure when you order that you use his college address.  The phones they sell now are specific to either T-Moblie or Sprint.  Certain phones are only available in the areas where they will work correctly.  We have less options because of the lack of T-Mobile Towers.

We continue to be very happy with RW after all these years.  

ETA:  My dd's data does not have a time limit.  She has it until it is gone.

Edited by Nemom
  • Like 2

He's just out of data. He could always add more, but they don't just add it for him.

ETA: at least this is how it's been with every other RW plan. Ds18 is the only one on the most current billing plan and he has never bought data. (Four of us are on RW and we've been with them for 4 years, so we're on different billing plans since you keep the plan you're on if they change their model)

We've been with them for about that long, as well. Do you know if I buy a new phone from them, can I keep my old plan? It's super cheap and I love it :-)

We've been with them for about that long, as well. Do you know if I buy a new phone from them, can I keep my old plan? It's super cheap and I love it :-)

Unfortunately not.  You get whatever the plan is when you buy the phone, which is a bummer.  I was on their first plan until my phone died.  Now I think we have a combo of 2nd, 3rd, and whatever the current billing scheme is.

Aw man! I love paying $13/month for TWO people!!!!

Wahhh.

Oh well. It's still cheap, and the people are nice (at least the ones I've dealt with).

They do have great customer service.  Once I had them upgrade a backordered phone to the next GB level and overnighted it for free (it was for my ds17's 16th birthday) after I inquired about the status and explained the situation, and just recently I inquired the status of another backordered phone (ds18 broke his and the one he wanted was backordered) and they overnighted it for free when it was in stock and without me asking.  Both times I contacted them through FB messenger, so it was super easy that way, too (I hate making phone calls).

• Like 1

Make sure when you order that you use his college address.  The phones they sell now are specific to either T-Moblie or Sprint.  Certain phones are only available in the areas where they will work correctly.  We have less options because of the lack of T-Mobile Towers.

Do you know how it works with an unlocked phone? I got DS's Moto G5+ through Costco, unlocked — I'm wondering if that would mean he can switch towers if necessary when he goes to college?

Do you know how it works with an unlocked phone? I got DS's Moto G5+ through Costco, unlocked — I'm wondering if that would mean he can switch towers if necessary when he goes to college?

Sorry I don't.  I've only purchased phones directly from them.

Couldn't you go with something like Cricket? $30 for unlimited talk/text + 2GB data then it throttles.  Also check out total wireless, metro pcs, AT&T (prepaid), Net10, straight talk, boost or freedom pop all have plans similar for under $40

Well, if he doesn't go over, we pay $15 for him to just be on our family plan.   That is why I was thinking RW $15 or $20 plan would be good.

It doesn't make sense to me to pay $30-$40.