Menu

State refunded me double_WOOOHOOO-LOL.

homemommy83

I had the opposite happen once - IRS, back when I was a lowly grad student, sent me a letter stating I owed (if I recall correctly)  $!4,500.  

That year I had EARNED  $14,500.

100% taxed :-0

I called right away, and luckily got an IRS employee having a good day who laughed WITH me (rather than at me) and fixed it. 

• Like 3

I had that with the state once. They overpaid me about $27,000. It took nearly a year to get it straightened out as to who to send the money to, how much was owed them, the fact that I really was overpaid, etc.

Hopefully yours is easy to fix.

• Like 1

I had the opposite happen once - IRS, back when I was a lowly grad student, sent me a letter stating I owed (if I recall correctly) $!4,500.

That year I had EARNED $14,500.

I called right away, and luckily got an IRS employee having a good day who laughed WITH me (rather than at me) and fixed it.

Oh my goodness I would have had a heart attack! So glad you could laugh and get it fixed.

This wasn't tax related but a few months ago I received our water bill and it was over 800 dollars. I instantly called and they said I definitely owed it. They would send someone out to make sure our meter was working. In the meantime, she told me to make sure we didn't have a leak or something of that nature.

The meter person comes out and says it was fine. I tell her over and over we have no leak and something is wrong on their end. She smuggly told me these things are computer logged and generated so they don't make mistakes.

After tears and frustration because no way did we have 800 dollars to drop on a water bill...I pulled out all of my past water bills from the filing cabinet and started going over them painstakenly. When I start looking at the meter reading days what they had done was taken a meter reading from 6 months prior and subtracted it from our current reading! I called and the woman said I must have read the bill wrong. I had her pull it up, sure enough she saw it and still said "I don't know what I am seeing, this still might not be on our end so I will get back to you." Almost a month later they finally send a corrected bill (I obviously hadn't paid it yet) and it had a late fee assessed. Hahaha!! I was pretty maniacal at that point. My words were less than kind. I was so frustrated.

It made me wonder how many other people had this happen and just paid it.

• Like 2

I had the opposite happen once - IRS, back when I was a lowly grad student, sent me a letter stating I owed (if I recall correctly)  $!4,500.  

That year I had EARNED  $14,500.

:ohmy:   That would have been a jolt. I'm glad it was straightened out quickly.

Many moons ago, when we were broke, but self employed, newlyweds, we owed the IRS $250 on tax day. 

Great...I wrote out a check, put it in the mail and forgot about it. 

Until my bank account become overdrawn....it seems I had ripped off a blank check along with the one I wrote. The IRS in it's infinite wisdom CASHED it for the amount we owed. BLANK. No name, no amount, no signature---someone rubber stamped Internal Revenue Service and scrawled $250 on it and deposited it. Oh yeah, along with the legit check I'd written.

What enraged me was that my bank paid it. No questions, no phone calls. Those were the days before big banks and we were well known clients. 

We got it sorted out fairly quickly, but it pointed out that the big government machine will chomp on anything you put in it's way. 

• Like 2

Oh my goodness I would have had a heart attack! So glad you could laugh and get it fixed.

This wasn't tax related but a few months ago I received our water bill and it was over 800 dollars. I instantly called and they said I definitely owed it. They would send someone out to make sure our meter was working. In the meantime, she told me to make sure we didn't have a leak or something of that nature.

The meter person comes out and says it was fine. I tell her over and over we have no leak and something is wrong on their end. She smuggly told me these things are computer logged and generated so they don't make mistakes.

After tears and frustration because no way did we have 800 dollars to drop on a water bill...I pulled out all of my past water bills from the filing cabinet and started going over them painstakenly. When I start looking at the meter reading days what they had done was taken a meter reading from 6 months prior and subtracted it from our current reading! I called and the woman said I must have read the bill wrong. I had her pull it up, sure enough she saw it and still said "I don't know what I am seeing, this still might not be on our end so I will get back to you." Almost a month later they finally send a corrected bill (I obviously hadn't paid it yet) and it had a late fee assessed. Hahaha!! I was pretty maniacal at that point. My words were less than kind. I was so frustrated.

It made me wonder how many other people had this happen and just paid it.

That's insane! And yeah, computers never make mistakes. Nope. never. Not at all. What were you thinking? I mean, really. Seriously, though, makes me want to go look at my past water and electricity bills! Or go off-grid . .  .

That's insane! And yeah, computers never make mistakes. Nope. never. Not at all. What were you thinking? I mean, really. Seriously, though, makes me want to go look at my past water and electricity bills! Or go off-grid . .  .

Computers make mistakes because they are programmed by humans and can only do what we tell them to do.

• Like 1