Menu

M Night's The Visit

Seasider

Not as clever as Sixth Sense and not as good as Signs, but on-par with the Village. Dh and I enjoyed it. 

ETA: It can be so hard to recommend movies because everyone's tastes are so different! Disclaimer: I don't think I am as picky about movies as most. As long as there is not gratuitous gore, nudity, or sex, I'm pretty flexible.  

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 3

The setup/premise is so unbelievable that I couldn’t get past it. And that wasn’t even supposed to be the strange part of the story. I love Signs and The Village and even liked Lady in the Water, but after The Happening (hated it!) and this one. Meh. I’m done with M Night.

Edited by Word Nerd

The Visit sounds like a movie I would not like and I really liked Signs. I'm okay with most of M. Night's movies, had not heard of The Happening!

I just watched a trailer about The Happening. It looks like my kind of movie. I "like" disaster movies. I like Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel. 

Edited to add:

Okay, never mind. Gross. Sounds yucko. And i don't watch R rated movies anyway.

Edited by Gaillardia

Oh well, guess I'll pass on it, thanks for the replies. I saw it at the library and as usual, I am so hopeful when I hear he has a new film out. Hopeful that it will be as good as his first few, scared they'll be lousy. Thanks for saving me a couple of hours (and maybe a lot of bad dreams!).

Edited by Seasider

It's not a debacle at all.  The guy can make a horror movie, and this is a horror movie. It's not my favorite.   When he made this movie, he made two version..... one pure suspense, and one highly comic..   The final version is kind of half and half.    To me, it felt a little too ha-ha. The same way Happy Death Day did (though The Visit is a much more skillfully made movie). I liked the way The Village and The Sixth Sense took themselves seriously.

Speaking of M. Night, has anyone seen his movie Devil?

It got panned by the critics but my family and I love the movie. Very suspenseful, good twists etc.

When M. Night gets it right he does a really good job

That's the one with the people the trapped elevator, right? It's a fun  movie, I liked it, but I don't think it's his movie.  Different writer and director.  He was just a story collaborator.

Oh well, guess I'll pass on it, thanks for the replies. I saw it at the library and as usual, I am so hopeful when I hear he has a new film out. Hopeful that it will be as good as his first few, scared they'll be lousy. Thanks for saving me a couple of hours (and maybe a lot of bad dreams!).

Have you seen Split, his newest?  It's definitely a "return to form".

• Like 2

I'm another M. Night fan but I do not like horror... so that kept me away from The Visit.   I liked Signs very much and recently re-watched it when it came on TV.

You don't see Signs as horror?  What do you see it as?  I definitely found Signs scarier than The Visit.

You don't see Signs as horror?  What do you see it as?  I definitely found Signs scarier than The Visit.

Signs is listed as a thriller, mystery and drama. I'll go with thriller. It is scary but not horrifying.

I think of Freddie and the chainsaw thing and Nightmare on Elm Street as horror. 

Okay, I'm that clueless about Freddy and Elm Street. Please forgive.

I just watched a trailer for The Visit and that looks like a horror movie to me.

Edited by Gaillardia

Signs is listed as a thriller, mystery and drama. I'll go with thriller. It is scary but not horrifying.

I think of Freddie and the chainsaw thing and Nightmare on Elm Street as horror. 

Ah, I think of Signs as a monster movie!! (Spoilers---  but Signs came out so long ago, hopefully I'm safe). 

With that criteria, I'd say The Visit is a thriller.  Evokes feeling of fear, but  isn't gore for gore's sake.

• Like 1