Menu

Isn’t this a double standard? -Update in original

lexi

Ok, so I live in a state where homeschoolers can participate in school sports. Each district sets the requirements.

Usually it is one class at the school and you can play on the team.

My local district does not offer Swimming. The neighboring district does. (This is the middle school level).

My kids swim club at the neighboring district. The coach approached my hubby about our daughter swimming for the school team. He noted that there are multiple homeschoolers on the high school diving team and the district works well with homeschoolers.

Ok, so I called the school to ask about it. I stated that we would need a transfer (which is allowed) and that we homeschool. I asked for the requirements.

Initially they were very welcoming and said they would double check the requirements and get back to me. When the person called me back the tone was very informal and no longer friendly. I was told too bad. My daughter would not be allowed on the team. And that I should have enrolled my daughter last February if she wanted to participate. That enrollments are only accepted in February for the following school year. But what about transfer students who move mid-year? But they said because it was a transfer those were only accepted in February of the previous year. (As if I would have known about this a year ago when my daughter was still in elementary. I didn’t know she would become this serious about Swimming).

They said I could enroll now for next year (the swim season is only Jan-Feb). My daughter would have to take a class on campus all year in order to participate.

Ugh. Whatever! No thanks! I thought they might let her take classes for only the spring semester since that is the season for Swimming.

Today I show up for club practice which is right after middle school team practice. There is a private schooled child who was allowed on the team. Yes, she does live in the district. No she did not enroll last February. I know for a fact that her mom called the school one week before the season started. She does not have to take a class at the campus. She is a full time student at a private school.

How is this fair at all? I’m so very upset that we were denied the opportunity to participate when they allow this other child who is a student somewhere else to walk on and be part of the team with no requirements. What in the world?

Is there anything I can do? I’m a little discouraged tonight.

UPDATE: I want to be clear that I'm not upset about the rules or the district transfer. I'm specifically upset that the standard was that the child must be enrolled in the school and take one class on campus. This rule was applied to my daughter but not to the private schooled child. 

However, I just heard from the coach that this child's participation was called in to question. She is now being told she has to take one class and participate in state testing (basically she has to be an enrolled student). This is exactly what I was told when I inquired. So, I'm hoping they enforce this rule since it seems to be the district's standard for participation. 

I'm totally fine with the rules. I'm not fine with the rules applying to my child and not applying to this child. That is where I feel a double standard exists. 

This child has been practicing with the team all week and she does not take a single class at the school and she is not enrolled with that district. So that's why I felt shocked and discouraged when I saw her with the team. 

Edited by lexi
  • Like 6

Can you call them back and explain what you said here, and ask them for an explanation? (Maybe without stating that it is unfair--you want to sound like you aren't whining, but wondering.)

OTOH,I would be careful about putting my child in any situation where there is the potential for resentment or for that child to be treated in a poor way, so if the pushback is coming from the people in charge of the team (and not just admins), then I would probably just forget it.

• Like 4

My guesses based on my experience (boundary transfers for 8+ years, personally working at a homeschool hybrid public school, co-enrolled homeschool/public school etc)

It is because the other girl is in district already.  The public school is already getting funding for her, even if she isn't attending a public school. 

it is common for schools to only have boundary exceptions for elective reasons, during Feb/March.   That gives them a chance to handle all the paperwork and get the enrolment data, and funding transfers taken care of ahead of time.  Transfers for moving, parents divorce etc are not considered elective and can be done at anytime because of residence laws and what school you are assigned to.

Your child's funding is already getting paid to the school in your district.  For the funding to be transferred to another district, the child has to be a student in that new district or reside in that new district.  Unless she is enrolled in a class in the fall at the new school, she won't be eligible to participate in winter sports.  (For school purposes, fall/winter are grouped together because they are in the same semester and and spring/summer).   She will have to have an FTE greater than whatever their minimum requirement is for out of district students and sports (FTE=full time enrollment.....it is a decima number that shows how many classes/hours she is enrolled)

If you have a hybrid public school option in the new district, talk to them about your options as a homeschooler regarding sports. 

Sorry, it really is confusing but it has to do with school funding and that is very sticky, legal numbers that don't have much wiggle room.  

After having a competitive swimmer at a high club level who swam for public school for fun.....I would say your get WAYYYYYYY more value for the swimmers time at club swimming!!!  The public school my son swam for, put all the club swimmers in one lane and pretty much left them alone, concentrating on the students he needed to actually teach basic strokes to. In our experience(not saying this is anyone else's experience), public school swimmers are also allowed more leeway on sloppy stokes and what passes for legal kicks/touches. At highschool level, there would have been at least one DQ if not more each event if the students were held to club standards. I think that could be confusing for a swimmer who is still learning strokes. (not saying this about  your child, just in general)

Edited by Tap
  • Like 5

We have a lot of out-of-district students in our district.  From what I understand, they need to apply by a particular deadline each year, meaning that their continued attendance is not guaranteed from year to year.  But in-district students can sign up at any time.  I think it has to do with planning and funding.

• Like 1

We are not going to participate with the school. I’m frustrated and I’m just done.

I thought about calling and asking but thought it best to keep a low profile and just continue with the club team and not cause a problem.

No this private school does not in any way work with this public school. They are not in the same town or district.

However, I was just told that this child’s participation was called in to question. They are going to enforce the one class on campus rule for her as well (from what I was told). Since she is a full time student somewhere else this would not be possible for her.

So we’ll see if she has to leave the team now.

• Like 1

My guesses based on my experience (boundary transfers for 8+ years, personally working at a homeschool hybrid public school, co-enrolled homeschool/public school etc)

It is because the other girl is in district already. The public school is already getting funding for her, even if she isn't attending a public school.

it is common for schools to only have boundary exceptions for elective reasons, during Feb/March. That gives them a chance to handle all the paperwork and get the enrolment data, and funding transfers taken care of ahead of time. Transfers for moving, parents divorce etc are not considered elective and can be done at anytime because of residence laws and what school you are assigned to.

Your child's funding is already getting paid to the school in your district. For the funding to be transferred to another district, the child has to be a student in that new district or reside in that new district. Unless she is enrolled in a class in the fall at the new school, she won't be eligible to participate in winter sports. (For school purposes, fall/winter are grouped together because they are in the same semester and and spring/summer). She will have to have an FTE greater than whatever their minimum requirement is for out of district students and sports (FTE=full time enrollment.....it is a decima number that shows how many classes/hours she is enrolled)

If you have a hybrid public school option in the new district, talk to them about your options as a homeschooler regarding sports.

Sorry, it really is confusing but it has to do with school funding and that is very sticky, legal numbers that don't have much wiggle room.

After having a competitive swimmer at a high club level who swam for public school for fun.....I would say your get WAYYYYYYY more value for the swimmers time at club swimming!!! The public school my son swam for, put all the club swimmers in one lane and pretty much left them alone, concentrating on the students he needed to actually teach basic strokes to. In our experience(not saying this is anyone else's experience), public school swimmers are also allowed more leeway on sloppy stokes and what passes for legal kicks/touches. At highschool level, there would have been at least one DQ if not more each event if the students were held to club standards. I think that could be confusing for a swimmer who is still learning strokes. (not saying this about your child, just in general)

Thanks. That was helpful.

We plan to stick with club. We like the coaches and the meets have been really great. So we’re just going to focus on club swimming and dropping time.

I just had to vent my frustration.

• Like 2

Is the school making the rules, or are there statewide rules that the school has to follow?

Where we live, there are statewide rules that must be followed concerning public school sports, including rules about transfers. The student has to have lived in the district and attended the school for a certain time period before he or she is eligible to play sports. 

ETA: My understanding is that the rules are in place to prevent schools from trying to lure star athletes away from other districts.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 2

Is the school making the rules, or are there statewide rules that the school has to follow?

Where we live, there are statewide rules that must be followed concerning public school sports, including rules about transfers. The student has to have lived in the district and attended the school for a certain time period before he or she is eligible to play sports.

The law only applies to high schools. Middle schools can technically set their own requirements as they don’t fall under these particular laws. It’s confusing. And each district handles it differently.

Our district has a mid February deadline for boundary variance requests.

I don't think it is a double standard for that rule to be applied to everyone living in the district.

I'm glad I saw this thread, it reminds me that I need to decide whether to put in a variance request for dd14 for next year.

ETA I'd have to read the rules/laws in place with regard to the private school, but it sounds like there are different sets--the boundary variance would be an issue only if the student is qualifying to play for a school by taking classes at that school.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Our district has a mid February deadline for boundary variance requests.

I don't think it is a double standard for that rule to be applied to everyone living in the district.

I'm glad I saw this thread, it reminds me that I need to decide whether to put in a variance request for dd14 for next year.

ETA I'd have to read the rules/laws in place with regard to the private school, but it sounds like there are different sets--the boundary variance would be an issue only if the student is qualifying to play for a school by taking classes at that school.

The rules are not different for private and homeschoolers.

I’m not upset about the district transfer. There’s nothing I can do about that. It’s annoying that the date is Feb of last year.

What frustrates me is that my daughter is required to be an enrolled student - a minimum of 1 on campus class and she would have to participate in state testing. The other child has had to do none of these things. That’s the double standard I’m talking about.

I didn’t even think this law applied to private schoolers since they are already enrolled in another school. I didn’t think they could be enrolled in two schools and take classes at both.

The law was written specifically with homeschoolers in mind as I understand it.

• Like 1

If the rule is applied across the board then it is not a double standard.

That said, my kids both swam for our local high school team. It was because they allowed private school students who lived in district to swim. They did initially turn me down. Ultimately, I used an attorney to send a letter stating that they were discriminating against my child. Lo and behold allowed to swim.

I don't know if I would have pursued it if it involved taking a class and state testing.

My kids wanted to swim for the high school for the social piece. As a pp stated, it is not as rigorous as the club practice. For the most part the club swimmers do not have to attend the high school practices. They go because it is fun to hang out with their friends on the bus.

Schools are a bureaucracy. Their goal is to maintain the status quo. They will throw up road blocks in the hopes you will just go away.

Edited by kewb

It sounds like the school is starting to figure things out, but eligibility for sports can be tricky.

Living outside the district and transferring in to play a sport is not always allowed. A school could possibly pad the team by recruiting a bunch of students that live outside the district. That can be a totally different process than for a student who does live within the attendance boundaries of the school.

I am not clear whether the other girl does not have to enroll in a class because (1) she lives in the district and, thus, qualifies to be on the team or (2) because she is attending a private school (which may have a similar class or testing that meets the district's requirements).  

• Like 1

Approach who you originally spoke with about the double standard, and take it up the food chain if you get no satisfaction.

Ok, so I live in a state where homeschoolers can participate in school sports. Each district sets the requirements.

Usually it is one class at the school and you can play on the team.

My local district does not offer Swimming. The neighboring district does. (This is the middle school level).

My kids swim club at the neighboring district. The coach approached my hubby about our daughter swimming for the school team. He noted that there are multiple homeschoolers on the high school diving team and the district works well with homeschoolers.

Ok, so I called the school to ask about it. I stated that we would need a transfer (which is allowed) and that we homeschool. I asked for the requirements.

Initially they were very welcoming and said they would double check the requirements and get back to me. When the person called me back the tone was very informal and no longer friendly. I was told too bad. My daughter would not be allowed on the team. And that I should have enrolled my daughter last February if she wanted to participate. That enrollments are only accepted in February for the following school year. But what about transfer students who move mid-year? But they said because it was a transfer those were only accepted in February of the previous year. (As if I would have known about this a year ago when my daughter was still in elementary. I didn’t know she would become this serious about Swimming).

They said I could enroll now for next year (the swim season is only Jan-Feb). My daughter would have to take a class on campus all year in order to participate.

Ugh. Whatever! No thanks! I thought they might let her take classes for only the spring semester since that is the season for Swimming.

Today I show up for club practice which is right after middle school team practice. There is a private schooled child who was allowed on the team. Yes, she does live in the district. No she did not enroll last February. I know for a fact that her mom called the school one week before the season started. She does not have to take a class at the campus. She is a full time student at a private school.

How is this fair at all? I’m so very upset that we were denied the opportunity to participate when they allow this other child who is a student somewhere else to walk on and be part of the team with no requirements. What in the world?

Is there anything I can do? I’m a little discouraged tonight.

UPDATE: I want to be clear that I'm not upset about the rules or the district transfer. I'm specifically upset that the standard was that the child must be enrolled in the school and take one class on campus. This rule was applied to my daughter but not to the private schooled child. 

However, I just heard from the coach that this child's participation was called in to question. She is now being told she has to take one class and participate in state testing (basically she has to be an enrolled student). This is exactly what I was told when I inquired. So, I'm hoping they enforce this rule since it seems to be the district's standard for participation. 

I'm totally fine with the rules. I'm not fine with the rules applying to my child and not applying to this child. That is where I feel a double standard exists. 

This child has been practicing with the team all week and she does not take a single class at the school and she is not enrolled with that district. So that's why I felt shocked and discouraged when I saw her with the team. 

The rules are not different for private and homeschoolers.

I’m not upset about the district transfer. There’s nothing I can do about that. It’s annoying that the date is Feb of last year.

What frustrates me is that my daughter is required to be an enrolled student - a minimum of 1 on campus class and she would have to participate in state testing. The other child has had to do none of these things. That’s the double standard I’m talking about.

I didn’t even think this law applied to private schoolers since they are already enrolled in another school. I didn’t think they could be enrolled in two schools and take classes at both.

The law was written specifically with homeschoolers in mind as I understand it.

You can actually.  That is how homeschoolers take classes at schools.  I had one of my daughters enrolled in a publc highschool for 5 classes a day and one class per day at a homeschool hybrid (so we could avoid the public school math program).  It was really pretty common and they had a few different ways set up to acomplish the setup.

One major factor is if the private school receives government funding or not.   Some do, some don't  If the school gets funding then the student can't attend more than the state allowed FTE.  So if the student is claiming full time status at the private school, they may need to drop a class and take it at the public school instead. 

If the school is offering PE credit for the swimming, then the student may not need to take another class because it counts as being enrolled. (I lived in a small school district where all the kids sports programs were counted as PE so the school could afford coaches.