Menu

Gardeners: catalog time

maize

The catalogs have started to arrive; here in the Northern Hemisphere many of us are dreaming of springtime planting.

What catalogs are you browsing through? Right now I've got Kitazawa Seed Co. (specializing in Asian vegetables), Territorial Seed Company, Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, and Burnt Ridge Nursery and Orchards. Stark Bros is another standby but not in my pile yet.

Seed and nursery catalogs are like comfort food for dark winter evenings.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

I love seed catalogs! Pine tree garden seeds is my favorite place. I already ordered some packets since my dh wanted a gift certificate for his uncle!!!!

It was like the mailbox was glowing Saturday when my package came.

Upon opening the padded envelope, heavenly Music played and rays of light shot out. Rainbows floated through the room.

It was amazing!

CAn you tell I love my garden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

My favorites are Baker Creek, Johnny's Seeds, Park Seeds, and Southern Exposure. Dh and I have been to both Baker Creek and Southern Exposure; we've met Ira Wallace (she stayed at our house!) and Jere Gettle. Nice folks and great seeds!

National Seed Swap Day is January 27! I'm going to the one at Blandy. Look for one near you.

I love seed catalogs! Pine tree garden seeds is my favorite place. I already ordered some packets since my dh wanted a gift certificate for his uncle!!!!

It was like the mailbox was glowing Saturday when my package came.

Upon opening the padded envelope, heavenly Music played and rays of light shot out. Rainbows floated through the room.

It was amazing!

CAn you tell I love my garden?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL! Love Pinetree!

I'm actually not planning on starting many this year.  I've found the farmer's market these days is offering really good variety of started vegetables and they are a lot stronger than what I can get at home.  When I get my ow little greenhouse....

I get most of my annual flowers for pots at an old neighbourhood greenhouse.  

So what I'll be ordering are some seeds for unusual perennial flowers that I can't find elsewhere or that would be too expensive.

I've only been gardening a few years, so it's still experimental here. I plan to take down a few trees and move my gardens this year. I attempted a hugelkulture the last few years, but I'm thinking it's too wet and shady here to benefit from that. My seed ordering has been mostly online, so I only get a few catalogs. Bluestone Perennials is always fun. I think I have more fun sketching out where things will go than I do seed shopping. I also like starting seeds indoors because playing in the dirt and messing with grow lights gives me a winter boost.

• Like 1

I have the Baker Creek and Seed Saver's Exchange catalogs. I am trying really hard not to order any new seeds this season. I have lots of seeds left over from previous years and a very small gardening space. I am looking forward to this season, though. I need to put my raised beds in order and will probably do quite a bit of containers as well!

• Like 1

So far I've only gotten one seed catalog: Fedco Seeds and one native plant catalog: Prairie Moon Nursery. When we moved here we had no idea there would be millions of mosquitoes out 24/7 during planting and early growing season so we haven't had a garden in three years thus the dropoff in lovely seed catalogs, I guess. But we will be moving back to the suburbs by the end of June, so there is hope for a very late sowing.

• Like 1

So far I've only gotten one seed catalog: Fedco Seeds and one native plant catalog: Prairie Moon Nursery. When we moved here we had no idea there would be millions of mosquitoes out 24/7 during planting and early growing season so we haven't had a garden in three years thus the dropoff in lovely seed catalogs, I guess. But we will be moving back to the suburbs by the end of June, so there is hope for a very late sowing.

Last place we lived was like that. We rented in a beautiful tree lined walkable neighborhood of old homes, but after living there a while would not entertain the idea of buying there solely because of the mosquitos. It was soooo bad. I worried about West Nile. We couldn’t play, work, or hangout in our backyard. The problem (IMO) was people who didn’t care to clean thier gutters, plus a nearby public park with a stagnant pond.