Menu

Instead of a shallot?

Night Elf

I've got a recipe that calls for a shallot. It's in a mixture of cherry preserves and balsamic vinegar to make a topping for pork tenderloin. Is there another onion I can use that is similar to a shallot? I've been to 3 grocery stores and can't find one. I do have a Sprouts farmers market nearby but have never been there. I thought I'd check for a substitute first.

I just sub onions for shallots. :)

Yep. I rarely have shallots on hand and will just sub onion.  Most of the time I have red onions, so that's what goes in.  It's never wrecked a dish. I think shallot is a little sweeter than "regular" yellow or red onions.  

Edited by marbel

Sweet onion (Walla Walla here, probably Vidalia there) is what I usually have around the house, so I would use that. I've heard white onion is mildest. I would use either of those before a sharp yellow onion. Not sure where red falls in the range of sweet/sharp, mild/strong.

Edited by Ali in OR

Sweet onion (Walla Walla here, probably Vidalia there) is what I usually have around the house, so I would use that. I've heard white onion is mildest. I would use either of those before a sharp yellow onion. Not sure where red falls in the range of sweet/sharp, mild/strong.

I have a white onion but we use that for so many things. I figured to use the red onion because I have left over from balsamic burgers. I don't know what's sweet or strong either. I'd rather not go buy yet another onion. And yes, they're Vidalia here.

• Like 1

Leeks seem best sub for flavor but harder to find. I'd use green onion and just go easy with them.

Where I live, leeks are easy to find but sweet onions are not! In the states, I always used sweet onions because they didn't irritate my eyes as much as yellow or white. I had wondered if leeks were a good sub for onions in certain dishes, so I made chicken soup with leeks, carrots, ginger, and garlic, and it was amazing. Only downside is that the leeks got a little mushy, but it wasn't a big deal. It's good to hear that they can sub for shallots.