Menu

Frog and Toad-like books?

madteaparty

These are the Goldilocks here—DD otherwise goes for very basic readers (think just a step above Dick and Jane).

We do have the whole box of the Usborne ones (Pirate Pat, Miss Moz, Queen makes a scene, etc) but thinking even a step above those. She can read the Frog and Toad ones easily by herself but would not choose that sort of length if she didn’t love the book...

I agree with your DD. Many early readers are too long. (I say because I end up reading most of them aloud...) My kids don't just want to read a single chapter of something like Mercy Watson. (I love Mercy Watson, but Frog&Toad at least has stories that are self-contained, not part of a longer narrative that you just have to finish, every single time.)

A series to add (which I remembered because it contains a wonderful story about a mother getting her little pigs dressed to go out in the snow): the Jean van Leeuwen stories about Oliver Pig (and Amanda)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Owl at Home / Mouse Soup

Little Bear

Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole

Alien & Possum

Amelia Bedelia

Ling & Ting

Henry & Mudge

Mr. Putter & Tabby

Usborne First Readers (not "very first")

The Fire Cat

Dodsworth in NY / London / etc

Bread & Jam for Frances

I've been very carefully looking for some not-too-intimidating first chapter books, as well. I think Sophie Mouse & Kingdom of Wrenly might be what we move to when he is ready...

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli
  • Like 2